Iodine Check-In

When TC’s “Iodine Deficiency Epidemic” article came out back in March, it seemed like lots of folks were jumping on iodine.

Now that seven months have passed, does anyone have any results or observations to report?

Thanks!

Hey, cool, I’d like to hear some observations, too.

I was late to the party on that, being that I’m fairly new to T-Nation.
Anyway, I read it over and over again and recently tried it. My waking temp wasn’t far off, high 96 normally, my mid day is low 97, so only a little low. I have struggled with cold hands which is really bad as a massage therapist. 2 weeks in and I’ve had slight increase in temps and my hands have been warming up a little bit. Excited to see where it goes.

I also have my girlfriend currently taking 1 (12.5) iodoral a day and will have her slowly increase the dose, her waking temp was barely 95, mid day was mid 96, after doing some research she also showed other signs of iodine deficiency.

So not really any results to speak of yet, but I do feel slightly better and have better energy since I’ve been taking the iodoral.

I didn’t notice any differences in energy, but it seems like my metabolism is running a ton faster.

I used Lugols back in June/July and my TSH shot up to 14.1. Guess I already get plenty in my diet. Turns out my temps were already normal, but the digital thermometer wasnt accurate. I’ve since gotten a liquid one, but have found the digital gives accurate readings after you do it about 4-5 times in a row. Something is wrong with my hormone levels, but I guess the thyroid problem is just secondary.

Life Extension has a good product for this IMO. Vitamin D + Vitamin K with 1000mcg of sea-iodine added. I noticed a slight boost in metabolism (definitely good for me), maybe from the production of T3 and T4.

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
Life Extension has a good product for this IMO. Vitamin D + Vitamin K with 1000mcg of sea-iodine added. I noticed a slight boost in metabolism (definitely good for me), maybe from the production of T3 and T4.[/quote]

I used this too over the course of several months and noticed a slight increase in temperature. Now that the winter is on its way I might consider supplementing it again and monitoring my temperature. In the summer I surprisingly didn’t have any problems whatsoever with my normally somewhat low body temp (36.0-36.3°C).

I always seem to be really hot (like to the touch) and I get flushed real easily due to heat. Could this be some type of Thyroid issue? Energy is always high, too high sometimes as I can’t sit still too long.

That would sound to be verring more towards hyperthyroid. Thanks for this post OP, checked out the article and definitely gonna start supplementing some Iodide!

I have a couple points of view of the issue:

1. Recently noticed a few high-end salt companies, the kind that sell in Whole Foods, that have new products on the shelve containing iodine. When I saw them I thought of the article on here.

2. A Hypothyroid is not something that should be taking lightly. Weight gain can be the least of your worries if your thyroid is on the fritz so it you really think you have a problem get some tests done.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
I always seem to be really hot (like to the touch) and I get flushed real easily due to heat. Could this be some type of Thyroid issue? Energy is always high, too high sometimes as I can’t sit still too long. [/quote]

I get really warm after I eat larger meals, gf says it feels like I have a fever. And I also overheat easily, not sure what causes it.