Involuntary Over-Contraction

I was working out my abs doing situps today and when i got up from my first set, I bent over abit and my lower abs started to over-contract by themselves. It hurt really much and i could not do much to stop it.

Any ideas what happened? Have i done anything wrong?

Lactic acidosis aka cramps.

They are cramps like he said. I do it sometimes. Its a sign that either you didn’t warm up properly or you’re training too hard.

I got cramps in both calves once, best training session they ever had! (only kidding, it hurt intensely!)

Never had cramps in abs though, it’s usually calves and hamstrings in most sports.

Take a vitamin and mineral supp, or eat some oranges.

I get cramps if I am under hydrated. Try getting in some more water a few hours before you lift.

If I’m out of shape, the same thing will happen to me.

Thanks for the advice… I’ve been taking my vitamins, warming up and have been drinking water enough water (4 litres a day)… It happened again yesterday in my abdomen while doing tricep pulldowns…

Perhaps your abs are out of shape again.

My abs are out of shape since i only work them out during my cutting phase. But that woudln’t cause them to contract on their own so much that they give me pain

Only in your abs. No other bodypart at any time?

I used to do the same thing; only work out my abs during cutting phases and had the same thing happen to me. Basically, your abs are out of shape. Since then I started doing direct ab work every once in a while during a bulk and it made it easier during my cut.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
Only in your abs. No other bodypart at any time?[/quote]

it happened to me yesterday in the movie theatre. I had just worked out legs. After an hour and a half or so, i got up and my Vastus medialis (teardrop) just contracted and got me to the ground. Like i said, i’m hydrated and my nutrtition is on key.

My abs are out of shape… but its starting on my legs now

Its spreading? If the cramps just stayed in your abs, then it could been out of shape. If it spreads to other parts of your body that you don’t stimulate, it might be serious, don’t know what it is but sounds serious to me.

Try gatorade or a sports drink with electrolytes while training. See if it helps.

Also, a kid on our football team would get severe cramps during games, and decided to try those powerbar gu packets with water and it helped him a lot.

I dont know if these are gonna solve your problem, but I’d say its worth a shot.

Does powerbar even make those gu packets anymore?

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Try gatorade or a sports drink with electrolytes while training. >>>[/quote]

You’re on the right track, but I would recommend more potassium rich foods overall like celery, raisins, some black strap molasses or even plain ol potatoes, baked or steamed, as examples. A tablespoon of black strap molasses has 3 times as much potassium as a whole 16 ounce gatorade as well as having b vitamins, some iron and a splash of carbs.

I always throw a tablespoon in my workout shakes. Also tastes like black licorice. Cramps are very often a symptom of inadequate potassium intake. Inadequate for a weight training individual that is. What’s fine for the average shlub may not cut it for somebody very active.

[quote]imasri wrote:
Tiribulus wrote:
Only in your abs. No other bodypart at any time?

it happened to me yesterday in the movie theatre. I had just worked out legs. After an hour and a half or so, i got up and my Vastus medialis (teardrop) just contracted and got me to the ground. Like i said, i’m hydrated and my nutrtition is on key.

My abs are out of shape… but its starting on my legs now[/quote]

Cramps are also possible on the muscle after a workout. It happens to my quads whenever I do heavy squats.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
Try gatorade or a sports drink with electrolytes while training. >>>

You’re on the right track, but I would recommend more potassium rich foods overall like celery, raisins, some black strap molasses or even plain ol potatoes, baked or steamed, as examples. A tablespoon of black strap molasses has 3 times as much potassium as a whole 16 ounce gatorade as well as having b vitamins, some iron and a splash of carbs.

I always throw a tablespoon in my workout shakes. Also tastes like black licorice. Cramps are very often a symptom of inadequate potassium intake. Inadequate for a weight training individual that is. What’s fine for the average shlub may not cut it for somebody very active.[/quote]

will try it and report back!

Hey, I recently experienced some pretty bad cramps in my calves and hamstrings and I was wondering if gatorade/black strap molasses helped or if you found anything else that did. Thanks

Ab cramps are the worst. One time I practically collapsed in a heap, got a few strange looks that day.