Investing in Schools Creates More Than Twice as Many Jobs as Military Spending

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
I mean history doesn’t really, um, change.[/quote]
What are you talking about man? Every year there’s more of it!

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
So if a teacher is making 55K a year and gets a 2.5 month vacation…does that not add up to a pretty good salary??[/quote]

You also forgot to add, that you can officially feed your kids cookies covered with your semen, film it, and still enjoy your job and pension. At least you can here in California. [/quote]

I just don’t see how teachers get paid a good wage and get 5x more vacation than any other workers.

And moan like they work in the gulag.[/quote]

Teachers don’t work normal 40 hour work weeks though. Teachers are paid a salary based on the time that they are in the classroom teaching. They aren’t paid one red cent for the extra hours they spend grading papers/tests or formulating lesson plans. And coming up with lesson plans, to a dedicated teacher, is a task that takes a LOT of time outside of the classroom. This is especially so for teachers like myself.

I was in my first year as a history teacher this year, so I didn’t have any lesson plans already formed and tried out. New teachers have a TON of work to do in this respect. It is made easier if you have other history teachers at your school that are really good and are willing to share with you what aspects of lesson-planning has worked for them. But in my specific case, the other two history teachers at the school who deal with the grades I teach are actually pretty horrendous and while they are willing to help me out, I’m better off doing it by myself.

It gets easier as a teacher gains more experience and learns what does and does not work. But a good teacher is always looking to improve upon lesson plans and that sort of thing. And of course, for history teachers it is also important to stay abreast of current events so that you can incorporate them into certain lessons. Part of history is learning how what happened yesterday affects us today.

I’m not saying that teachers are working in a gulag, only that they do much more work than most people realize. While we may have the summers off, we are still working over the summer on the next year’s lessons and implementing whatever improvements we feel need to be made into them. And dedicated teachers will also spend the summers trying to learn more about their subject as well. No one knows everything there is to know about what they do for a living, but in the education field it is important to stay ahead of the curve in that respect. I remember when I was doing my student teaching internship the instructor I was with would get asked at least one question a day where he simply had no clue what the answer was. They were usually tangentially related to the lesson at hand, but still, when a student asks the teacher a question about the subject he’s teaching, it’s always better to have the answer at hand than not.[/quote]

Ummmm I take home work also, but I do it year round…it’s called a job.

You chose to be a teacher (an admirable job IMO) so you knew what you were getting into.

I would take that salary with a 10 week vacation too…I have no problem, the only problem I have is when teachers moan about work.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:
So if a teacher is making 55K a year and gets a 2.5 month vacation…does that not add up to a pretty good salary??[/quote]

You also forgot to add, that you can officially feed your kids cookies covered with your semen, film it, and still enjoy your job and pension. At least you can here in California. [/quote]

I just don’t see how teachers get paid a good wage and get 5x more vacation than any other workers.

Teachers don’t work normal 40 hour work weeks though. Teachers are paid a salary based on the time that they are in the classroom teaching. They aren’t paid one red cent for the extra hours they spend grading papers/tests or formulating lesson plans. And coming up with lesson plans, to a dedicated teacher, is a task that takes a LOT of time outside of the classroom. This is especially so for teachers like myself.

I was in my first year as a history teacher this year, so I didn’t have any lesson plans already formed and tried out. New teachers have a TON of work to do in this respect. It is made easier if you have other history teachers at your school that are really good and are willing to share with you what aspects of lesson-planning has worked for them. But in my specific case, the other two history teachers at the school who deal with the grades I teach are actually pretty horrendous and while they are willing to help me out, I’m better off doing it by myself.

It gets easier as a teacher gains more experience and learns what does and does not work. But a good teacher is always looking to improve upon lesson plans and that sort of thing. And of course, for history teachers it is also important to stay abreast of current events so that you can incorporate them into certain lessons. Part of history is learning how what happened yesterday affects us today.

I’m not saying that teachers are working in a gulag, only that they do much more work than most people realize. While we may have the summers off, we are still working over the summer on the next year’s lessons and implementing whatever improvements we feel need to be made into them. And dedicated teachers will also spend the summers trying to learn more about their subject as well. No one knows everything there is to know about what they do for a living, but in the education field it is important to stay ahead of the curve in that respect. I remember when I was doing my student teaching internship the instructor I was with would get asked at least one question a day where he simply had no clue what the answer was. They were usually tangentially related to the lesson at hand, but still, when a student asks the teacher a question about the subject he’s teaching, it’s always better to have the answer at hand than not.[/quote]

You chose to be a teacher (an admirable job IMO) so you knew what you were getting into.

I would take that salary with a 10 week vacation too…I have no problem, the only problem I have is when teachers moan about work.

[/quote]

Yup, I have multiple friends that do this. I just can’t understand complaining when you get 25% of the year off in vacation, plus like 10 sick days, plus EVERY freakin holiday off. What do you get like a week for Christmas, excuse me, Winter Holiday, Thanksgiving, spring break (the fuck is that), etc…

The salary is pretty good too. You’re not a 1%, but you’re not on Ramon noodles either.

I just counted 25 holidays off during the 13-14 school year in my local system. Plus around 90 days for the summer. So teachers are off 32% of the year. I get off 9% this year and 10% next year. Obviously this isn’t including weekends.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[/quote]

I’m not complaining about what I do or how much I get paid. Just don’t come in here and say that teachers get paid to work 9.5 months a year, because the ones who are dedicated and deserve a higher wage commensurate with the impact that they have on society’s improvement are working year-round. Pointing out where you were wrong is not complaining.

I understand perfectly well that people in all sorts of professions take their work home with them as well. Just don’t exclude teachers from that list.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
I just counted 25 holidays off during the 13-14 school year in my local system. Plus around 90 days for the summer. So teachers are off 32% of the year. I get off 9% this year and 10% next year. Obviously this isn’t including weekends.

[/quote]

“Off” means not at school. It doesn’t mean not working. I spent every “off” day this school year preparing lesson plans or grading work. Again, like I said to UtahLama, I’m not complaining about this at all. It’s simply inaccurate to sit there and say that just because a teacher has an “off” day that he/she isn’t working at all.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Just don’t come in here and say that teachers get paid to work 9.5 months a year, because the ones who are dedicated and deserve a higher wage commensurate with the impact that they have on society’s improvement are working year-round. [/quote]

I don’t believe more than 1% of teacher work year round.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[/quote]

I’m not complaining about what I do or how much I get paid. Just don’t come in here and say that teachers get paid to work 9.5 months a year, because the ones who are dedicated and deserve a higher wage commensurate with the impact that they have on society’s improvement are working year-round. Pointing out where you were wrong is not complaining.

I understand perfectly well that people in all sorts of professions take their work home with them as well. Just don’t exclude teachers from that list.

[/quote]

I am not, at all.

My best friend teaches Jr. High in Las Vegas…in the shitty part.

He was one of the highest reviewed teachers in their district, he works from 8:30-3:30 and has a one hour prep period.

He plays golf all summer, every day…his opinion, once you teach a class all the material is right there.

He makes around 60K.

When he retires he receives 55% of his highest 3 years of wages FOR LIFE.

Tough gig indeed.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I am not, at all.

My best friend teaches Jr. High in Las Vegas…in the shitty part.

He was one of the highest reviewed teachers in their district, he works from 8:30-3:30 and has a one hour prep period.

He plays golf all summer, every day…his opinion, once you teach a class all the material is right there.

He makes around 60K.

When he retires he receives 55% of his highest 3 years of wages FOR LIFE.

Tough gig indeed.[/quote]

Look, maybe I’m a bit naive or idealistic since I’m still a new teacher. And I don’t want to bag on your friend, but a highly-reviewed teacher in a shitty district isn’t quite saying much. And I question the claim that once you teach a class that all the material is right there. That assumes that the first time you teach the class everything goes perfectly fine, there aren’t any problems and the assessment at the end of the unit shows that the students grasped the concepts that were being taught in that lesson. If it’s a shitty district, I assume that part of that means the students don’t score well on aptitude tests and that sort of thing. Well, if that is the case, then why would a teacher in that district assume that what he is teaching doesn’t need to be altered in some way? Perhaps if teachers like him put more effort into their lesson planning and their teaching methods over the summer, when they have more time to properly do so, rather than playing golf everyday, the school districts wouldn’t be so shitty.

What subject does your friend teach?

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

Look, maybe I’m a bit naive or idealistic since I’m still a new teacher. And I don’t want to bag on your friend, but a highly-reviewed teacher in a shitty district isn’t quite saying much. And I question the claim that once you teach a class that all the material is right there. That assumes that the first time you teach the class everything goes perfectly fine, there aren’t any problems and the assessment at the end of the unit shows that the students grasped the concepts that were being taught in that lesson. If it’s a shitty district, I assume that part of that means the students don’t score well on aptitude tests and that sort of thing. Well, if that is the case, then why would a teacher in that district assume that what he is teaching doesn’t need to be altered in some way? Perhaps if teachers like him put more effort into their lesson planning and their teaching methods over the summer, when they have more time to properly do so, rather than playing golf everyday, the school districts wouldn’t be so shitty.

What subject does your friend teach?[/quote]

You are a new teacher, and I admire your drive.

He actually teaches honors science and coaches basketball.

He has been recruited by several pricey private schools in LV, but he stays where he is because he likes the people he works with. The ratings in his district are based off 50% testing and 25% parental and 25% peer reviews(he sent me this in an e-mail)

He just got his Masters in Education after teaching for almost 13 years and he might get into admin.

But he always said that he got into teaching because of the free time.

No shame in that.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

“Off” means not at school. It doesn’t mean not working. I spent every “off” day this school year preparing lesson plans or grading work. Again, like I said to UtahLama, I’m not complaining about this at all. It’s simply inaccurate to sit there and say that just because a teacher has an “off” day that he/she isn’t working at all.[/quote]

Well DB, you must be a very good teacher because every teacher I’ve ever meet is “off” on those days.

[quote]atypical1 wrote:
While I agree in cutting military spending, I disagree that the answer to our school problems is throwing more money at them. Investing to me means physical involvement not checkbooks.

james[/quote]

I disagree with cutting military spending. I do agree throwing money at schools would give an immediate benefit in that it would stop the teacher purge and get some programs back on their feet. So yeah, just throwing money at it is not good enough, but money is in desperate need.
I am never for cutting spending on the main line of defense between us and mean nasty people that want to hurt us and there is no shortage of that.

Schools need money right now. Good teachers are losing their jobs, and classrooms are getting to full.
If we ceded control of our education to the government we at least need to make sure its properly funded and functioning correctly. Community and parental involvement in a school is way more important and make more of a difference than any educational policy. Crappy community, crappy schools. Good communities, good schools.

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]atypical1 wrote:
While I agree in cutting military spending, I disagree that the answer to our school problems is throwing more money at them. Investing to me means physical involvement not checkbooks.

james[/quote]

I disagree with cutting military spending. I do agree throwing money at schools would give an immediate benefit in that it would stop the teacher purge and get some programs back on their feet. So yeah, just throwing money at it is not good enough, but money is in desperate need.
I am never for cutting spending on the main line of defense between us and mean nasty people that want to hurt us and there is no shortage of that.

Schools need money right now. Good teachers are losing their jobs, and classrooms are getting to full.
If we ceded control of our education to the government we at least need to make sure its properly funded and functioning correctly. Community and parental involvement in a school is way more important and make more of a difference than any educational policy. Crappy community, crappy schools. Good communities, good schools.[/quote]

We could also look at things this way: the thing that could most effectively improve the country’s national security is a far better educated populace than what we have now. I say put more money into schools and quit letting every fucking Hispanic willing to work for slave wages and dumb enough to risk life and limb coming over here to do so into the country in the first place. Maybe immigration allowances should be predicated even more heavily on potential academic or technological contributions that can be made, instead of letting in people willing to work for shit.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Holy shit it’s snowing in hell, I agree with you. Teachers put up with unimaginable shit. Most people can’t handle their kids for 8 hours.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]atypical1 wrote:

james[/quote]

If we ceded control of our education to the government we at least need to make sure its properly funded and functioning correctly. Community and parental involvement in a school is way more important and make more of a difference than any educational policy. Crappy community, crappy schools. Good communities, good schools.[/quote]

We could also look at things this way: the thing that could most effectively improve the country’s national security is a far better educated populace than what we have now. I say put more money into schools and quit letting every fucking Hispanic willing to work for slave wages and dumb enough to risk life and limb coming over here to do so into the country in the first place. Maybe immigration allowances should be predicated even more heavily on potential academic or technological contributions that can be made, instead of letting in people willing to work for shit.[/quote]

Agree 100% with this.

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Holy shit it’s snowing in hell, I agree with you. Teachers put up with unimaginable shit. Most people can’t handle their kids for 8 hours. [/quote]

Parents are not getting paid to put up with their kids.

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Holy shit it’s snowing in hell, I agree with you. Teachers put up with unimaginable shit. Most people can’t handle their kids for 8 hours. [/quote]

LOL. Tell me about it.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Parents are not getting paid to put up with their kids.[/quote]

What about Justin Bieber’s parents?

[quote]atypical1 wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
The theory behind higher pay for teachers is that it will attract more people to the job market and give employers more to choose from. More people to choose from means a better chance at higher-quality employees being in that pool.[/quote]

I’m not sure that it’s pay or social norms that are keeping people out of the teacher job market. According to the USC Rossier Online blog the average teacher salary in Ca is $67k but that’s the average and reflect actual pay which would vary based on district, tenure, and educational level of the teacher. There’s also a good benefit package available for them.

I might have been wrong when speaking about administrative salaries as according to Average Salaries & Expenditure Percentage - CalEdFacts (CA Dept of Education) the amount allocated for administrative salaries is only 6ish percent.

james[/quote]

Here’s the problem though:

1. cali’s cost of living is much higher than most other states so 67k doesn’t go as far as normal in most areas there.

2. you can’t just offer more money without also demanding the responsibility that comes with it. Come on, I know you know that…but your previous posts on not wanting more money suggest that there is a mental disconnect.

3. You can’t have unions in charge of teachers if there is a performance standard to maintain

Look–we want killer engineers and killer doctors (well, most of us do), and we want killer scientists. What do we demand from them? Performance. We offer 60-70k directly out of undergrad for engineering students! But there’s no tenure, and you better believe you gotta perform. Same for docs except with a monstrous time of schooling, same for research scientists.

It is an absolute RULE of economics that you get what you want to pay for on a statistical level (meaning there are still plenty of shitheads, but they get weeded out)–The problem is that we a) don’t expect performance b) don’t hold them accountable for performance c) tie their hands with red tape and d) allowed unions to strangle any sense of accountability on a wide scale. You can’t get all of that.

There is no way you can get performance from people if you allow them to be complacent and yet maintain their job security because they know that they have a guaranteed paycheck and aren’t going to be fired. And you can’t get performance from people if you tie their hands with a ton of useless regs (note that I believe there is a place for regs here, but they have to be useful). It defies all logic and all human nature to believe this.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Parents are not getting paid to put up with their kids.[/quote]

And nobody gets paid enough to put up with another kids shit day-in and day-out. Then you got idiot parents who thinks their little angels walk water can do no wrong and are the smartest kids in the world.
“No, my Jimmy would never stab another kid in the eye with a pencil, there must be something wrong with the way you run the classroom.”

“Well, he does math perfect at home. And I don’t know what you are talking about his reading, why he just read Macbeth at home! The ‘Cat in the Hat’ is to easy so he must not have been trying cause he’s to smart for it.”

Here’s an example that really happened. Dad takes kid to school with a 103.3 degree fever, clinic calls him. Dad says “He’s fine, he’s just teething”. Your fucking kid is teething at 7? Kid actually had strep.

Parents send their kids to school with lice, ring worm, the stomach flu, any other kind of flu you can imagine, pouring green snot out of their nose with a fever and calls it allergies…that lasts for 6 weeks. Kids have barfed in the car on the way to school and the parents drop them off anyway.

Teachers don’t get paid enough for the shit they have to put up with.