T Nation

Investing in Home Gym Equipment

I’m planning to buy gym equipments (squat rack, bench, olympic barbell and plates) so I can lift at home.

I don’t want to go to the commercial gym anymore because I can buy the equipments I mentioned above in one year from the total cost (monthly dues, parking and gas) I spend in going to a commercial gym. In other words, going to a commercial gym is too costly for me.

My goal is size.

The question is: would I still grow if I used ONLY ONE EXERCISE PER BODY PART, given the limited equipment I have?

For example:

chest = bench press
back = barbell rowing
quads = squat
etc.

I’m planning to use frequency to compensate for the lack of equipments, plus I will be more serious in applying important principles such as progression, correct nutrition and sleep.

Thanks for you help. If my question sounds stupid, I’m sorry because I just don’t want to waste my hard earned money.

With only a squat rack, bench and barbell you can do a SHIT TON OF DIFFERENT LIFTS. If you added some adjustable DB handles you could do a shit ton more. I would say that over 90% of my training for the past 6 months has been done with only the barbell and a rack.

Remember that with the rack you have chins, dips if you buy a plate holding tree, and hanging ab work.

Between squats, deads, rows and pressing you really dont need much more to be an evil beast. The strongest men that walk the earth dont do much more than that.

-chris

“Equipment” implies the plural. You don’t need the S (equipments). :wink:

Avacado hit it. Do a Google search for barbell exercises. There are more than you think.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=576
semi-related this is actually a pretty good deal considering it’s elitefts

first and foremost buy the book : Never Gymless from ross enamait.

Really, this is a guide for hardcore training with homemade and simple tools. Ross is a highly regarded strength and conditioning coach and he has tons of ideas…

[quote]Avocado wrote:
With only a squat rack, bench and barbell you can do a SHIT TON OF DIFFERENT LIFTS. If you added some adjustable DB handles you could do a shit ton more. I would say that over 90% of my training for the past 6 months has been done with only the barbell and a rack.

Remember that with the rack you have chins, dips if you buy a plate holding tree, and hanging ab work.

Between squats, deads, rows and pressing you really dont need much more to be an evil beast. The strongest men that walk the earth dont do much more than that.

-chris[/quote]

10517847, read this post twice. and get a new user name.

[quote]hachi wrote:
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=576
semi-related this is actually a pretty good deal considering it’s elitefts[/quote]

If you can be patient, just use Craig’s list for your equipment. Not only can you get rediculously good deals on racks, benches and weight, but, because you will typically buy several sets of weights, you will end up with lots of olympic bars which is really nice for supersetting and moving from one lift to another.

Here’s an idea of what you should be able to pay for equipment on Craigs;

1. $100 for a quality power rack.
  2. 25 cents per pound for weight that is at most only mildly rusty.
  3. Less than 40 cents a pound for dumbbells in good condition. Some I’ve bought for less than 20 cents a pound.

A good trick is to buy an Olympic set that comes with some crapy rack or bench and then sell the crappy rack or bench while keeping the plates and bars. You wouldn’t believe how fast people will snap up piece of shit equipment.

Some great deals I’ve found are a GHR for 50 bucks, Reverse Hyper for 30 bucks (it was going for scrap metal), A commercial Supported T-Bar Row for 30 bucks, a commercial Cyvex Rotational Calf machine for $50. I even found a 130 pound dumbbell for Pushharder, for only 30 or 40 bucks.

Plus a lot of great pieces of equipment that didn’t work for me in one way or another so I just sold them on Craigs for about what I paid for them. As long as you don’t over pay you can’t loose on Craigs.