T Nation

Inverted Juggernaut Method Accessories + Tennis

Hi Guys,

Primarily a tennis player, but love SBD. I’m a late novice/early intermediate as far as powerlifting goes (300/270/365 beltless @ bw 210).
I picked inverted TJM because, like 531, I can get through a workout fairly quickly (<30 min for just the main lifts) 3x/week, and I can go play my sport and live my life.

I lift first and don’t want to be too fatigued going in to tennis everyday. If I have 10-15 min at the end of each workout to work on accessories, which exercises would you pick? ab work? unweighted explosive work? agility drills? I do not feel comfortable with olympic lifts without a coach.

I also plan on adding pull ups 1-2x/week.

Thank you

Kyle

I’m not 100% familiar with the Juggernaut method, but if you’re an athlete and have only 10-15 minutes for accessory work, you’ve got to dial in to really just one or two exercises that work whatever you specifically need to address. I’d probably go with something dumbbell-based, to at least somewhat manage the strength discrepancy tennis naturally creates.

I wouldn’t do explosive work or agility drills after lifting, because you’ll be fatigued and won’t get the most out of them. And I do suggest learning the olympic lifts, or at least some kind of clean. If you can teach yourself how to squat/deadlift, and have more than half a brain, you can teach yourself to clean well-enough to see results without getting injured.

I can see what you’re saying about the explosive work. So if I did cleans, they’d be before the main workout also.
I do disagree with the agility drills though. It’s less about building strength (though strength is of course involved) and more about technique. I was thinking shuffling, back peddling, and a sprint, within maybe a 10-15 second time period. It’s more sport specific and doesn’t require the explosiveness of a box jump or a movement of that nature. Does this fall out of realm of accessory work? Regardless, I like to fit this between the weightroom and the courts.

The Juggernaut Method 2.0 book shows you how to incorporate Olympic lifts, and jumps, and conditioning and sports specific work (not all at once)

Yes I read that. I’m not comfortable with Olympic lifts. I see the conditioning and that’s not my concern (or what I’m asking). I do like jumps, but I’m asking the forum, do you think these jumps is the most optimal way to spend my 15 minutes, specifically for tennis?

What are the most effective accessories? I know a lot about tennis, and what is involved, and I like to think I know a good amount on weight training, but not as much as other people here (my numbers could probably be easily attained in a year or so for many people, but it took me probably at least 3 years to achieve those numbers).

A lot of the work outlined in his book is geared to more contact/physical sports, and I understand how to train for those. Unfortunately, that’s not what I’m training for. Something worth noting is I’m not competing in any tournaments, and I don’t intend to anytime soon. I’m simply competing with friends. So the whole year is in season to me.

Gear your assistance work to what helps you hit the ball harder.

I’d do stuff like quarter squat jumps, lat work, flies (normal and reverse), hip thrusts, lateral lunges, trunk rotations/anti-rotations.

Then whatever you need to balance things out (there is usually lots of internal shoulder rotation going on with tennis, so I’d sort that out)

Follow this guys example…
https://forums.t-nation.com/t/in-season-training-results/?source_topic_id=214272

Look into trying the high pull before you completely give up on the oly lifts. If you are dead set on not doing them, you could always fill up those 15 minutes throughout the workout with contrast style training. Box jumps after squats, broad jumps after deadlifts, medicine ball throws or plyo pushups after bench, etc. I can’t recommend doing oly lifts or variations throughout the whole workout, but myself personally, i’m not firing on all cylinders with my jumps/throws up until right around the top work set. Ideally, you wouldn’t want to be explosive only in the beginning of a match, so why limit your explosive training only to the beginning of your workout. Once I peak and output decreases I call it good, wherever it may be in my workout.