Inventions

Anyone out there working on or have any invention ideas? How is it going for you, and what steps are you taking to get it off and running? I ask this because i have an invention idea that I would think be a big money maker, help the enviroment, and all government and state agencies would almost have to switch over to my idea over their existing product.

It is a adaptation to an already used product that either hasn’t been thought of yet, or not figured out how to make it work? i have not actually figured out how to make it work, I just have the idea and know it would be better to use my idea of the product rather what is used today.

Anyways, do you think I should contact a product manufacturer with my adjustment idea, and how would I go about making sure I would recieve royalties from sales and not just them using my idea and making all the profits?

I know I could just start googling info, but thought I would open this up for a thread in case anybody has any interest in this type of stuff. I am def going to pursue my idea in some way. And I will update this as the process unfolds.

I’ve made so many great ideas in my head then often find out they are already made. So close.

[quote]mbdix wrote:
Anyone out there working on or have any invention ideas? How is it going for you, and what steps are you taking to get it off and running? I ask this because i have an invention idea that I would think be a big money maker, help the enviroment, and all government and state agencies would almost have to switch over to my idea over their existing product.

It is a adaptation to an already used product that either hasn’t been thought of yet, or not figured out how to make it work? i have not actually figured out how to make it work, I just have the idea and know it would be better to use my idea of the product rather what is used today.

Anyways, do you think I should contact a product manufacturer with my adjustment idea, and how would I go about making sure I would recieve royalties from sales and not just them using my idea and making all the profits?

I know I could just start googling info, but thought I would open this up for a thread in case anybody has any interest in this type of stuff. I am def going to pursue my idea in some way. And I will update this as the process unfolds. [/quote]

Patent it.

[quote]Fuzzyapple.Train wrote:
I’ve made so many great ideas in my head then often find out they are already made. So close.[/quote]

Haha. I know what you mean. If it is already out (which I don’t think it is), then good. It needs to be.

I plan on trying to patent it, if like the apple said, it is not already out there. I guess I also made this thread to make myself do it. I’ve had the idea for about 3 years now.

i asked a similar question to this. my problem is that i cannot make my product without the help of several people. the product is kind of like a book, and it is on a subject i dont know very much about. so i will need to find several experts on the subject and collaborate with them. but then they will realize that i have nothing to contribute so why should i get most of the money? its my idea, my design, and they were just hobbyists before i found them!

[quote]eremesu wrote:
i asked a similar question to this. my problem is that i cannot make my product without the help of several people. the product is kind of like a book, and it is on a subject i dont know very much about. so i will need to find several experts on the subject and collaborate with them. but then they will realize that i have nothing to contribute so why should i get most of the money? its my idea, my design, and they were just hobbyists before i found them![/quote]

I think that you will find that a lot of highly intelligent people are also highly risk averse.

If you can pay them upfront they will probably rather take that and let you shoulder the risk.

Also, they do not necessarily have to know each other, nor does anyone except you have to be able to see the whole picture.

I hold several patents for things that I have invented, and one thing that you should know is that ideas are cheap. If you ask anybody, they will be able to come an idea that is original and will be a real money maker. These ideas will almost always be followed up with “if I only knew how to make it.”

In order to go from idea to invention, you have a couple of options:

The first is to have a lot of money and pay people to make those inventions for you. This will usually require a LOT of money, however, so unless you have a few million to spare, and lose if it turns out it is not possible to make your idea into a viable product (this happens more often then not), this is a no go. This is why very few small businesses have R&D departments. The owner/owners will generally fill that role until the business makes enough money to actually spend on an actual R&D department.

The second option is to identify the field(s) that you will need to possibly make your product yourself and become educated in those field(s). This will usually take many years of formal study (I spent 10 years in school studying nuclear physics plus several more doing research in the same field before I had my first patent). After you have developed the product, you can either go out and try to secure financing to develop and sell your product (you had better have a GREAT business plan and sales skills just to get the money do this, let alone succeed), or you can sell the rights to your product to someone else to develop. This is what I do, just because I have no interest in running a business. I am a scientist and have no desire to build and run a business. My research and teaching are more important to me.

i want to buy a yacht

[quote]Dr.Matt581 wrote:
I hold several patents for things that I have invented, and one thing that you should know is that ideas are cheap. If you ask anybody, they will be able to come an idea that is original and will be a real money maker. These ideas will almost always be followed up with “if I only knew how to make it.”

In order to go from idea to invention, you have a couple of options:

The first is to have a lot of money and pay people to make those inventions for you. This will usually require a LOT of money, however, so unless you have a few million to spare, and lose if it turns out it is not possible to make your idea into a viable product (this happens more often then not), this is a no go. This is why very few small businesses have R&D departments. The owner/owners will generally fill that role until the business makes enough money to actually spend on an actual R&D department.

The second option is to identify the field(s) that you will need to possibly make your product yourself and become educated in those field(s). This will usually take many years of formal study (I spent 10 years in school studying nuclear physics plus several more doing research in the same field before I had my first patent). After you have developed the product, you can either go out and try to secure financing to develop and sell your product (you had better have a GREAT business plan and sales skills just to get the money do this, let alone succeed), or you can sell the rights to your product to someone else to develop. This is what I do, just because I have no interest in running a business. I am a scientist and have no desire to build and run a business. My research and teaching are more important to me.[/quote]

Thanks for your input.
My plan so far is to take a product, and build my idea to it. (best way i can think of to describe what I am trying to accomplish) Then I can remove my invention from the product and work on making it applicable to others by just purchasing my product and adding it to existing products. To build my invention would not require me to do any additional studying. i already have the knowledge base needed to build it. It is just basic electronics, machanical, and weight calculations that are needed.

I honestly believe that the product(idea) sells itself. It helps the enviroment at the same time eventually saving anyone that uses it money in the long run. I think if I even had the productt made and contacted the local news station the local government, schools, everyone that already have the base product would want to add my product to theirs. It really is a win win. I do want to make money from it, but I also know it is needed, and helpful.

So, make the product, patent the product and start reaching out to businesses that already produce and sell the base product. Just do it right?

step 1 before you invest any more time and money is to conduct a prior art search.

do your research first. if you find that your invention is patentable, get a patent first.

you will have a hard time getting any investors if you cant block others from making your invention.