Intuition Says It's Overtraining

I decided I was going to add hang cleans to my workouts because the dynamic effort method isn’t working for me.

Boyd Eply has you do 3x5 of various types of cleans in his Complete Conditioning for Football book. So I figured why not a 5x5 at 65% 1rm. I’m not going to do sets of 5 anymore.

I’ve also been doing 3x3 of snatches at 135 lbs everyday. IDK why 135. It started out feeling easy. It’s the end of the first week of doing snatches everyday and the bar is feeling heavy.

So I’m doing a functional hypertrophy day and a hang clean day with 3x3 of snatches everyday in between.

Usually I broad jump about 10’1" or 10’2". My PR for the broad jump is 10’6".

Today I broad jumped 9’10".

Should I cut back some on the cleans and snatches? Or will these poor performances in the broad jump continue no matter what I do until I finish my training cycle and then surpass my PR?

If I fatigue my CNS for 12 weeks with 6x4’s and 8x3’s of cleans will it bounce back stronger than before or crappier than before?

I think it?s tempting to go and try stuff like this, as we hear about all these oly lifters doing heavy lifting 2x a day. However, it?s clearly detrimental to your progress if you?re doing a lift daily for reasons you don?t know, and are allowing it to mess with the rest of your training.

I?ve been doing a heavy lift (squat, clean, deadlift, OHP, bench) along with hypertrophy training daily. I do have a general plan of my lifting, but I make sure to look at my sessions and modify them as need be 1-3 days in advance. This is where intuition really comes in, if I can make a second session work in a day, I?ll do that. If I need the occasional day off, I take it.

I think you?re getting caught up on trying to achieve supercompensation, which is taking away from performance, which should be your real focus! If you can temper yourself into frequent, high performance training, you will surely achieve supercompensation when you take time off. The ?tempering? part always feels like overtraining, but we use performance/progression of lifting as an indicator that training is working.

I’m doing the snatch everyday to practice the triple extension. I’ve been using 135 because it felt easy when I started. I’m going to stick with it. The worst thing that can happen is I grow tits and my cock rots off. Sooner or later my body will pick up the slack.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:
I think it?s tempting to go and try stuff like this, as we hear about all these oly lifters doing heavy lifting 2x a day. However, it?s clearly detrimental to your progress if you?re doing a lift daily for reasons you don?t know, and are allowing it to mess with the rest of your training.

I?ve been doing a heavy lift (squat, clean, deadlift, OHP, bench) along with hypertrophy training daily. I do have a general plan of my lifting, but I make sure to look at my sessions and modify them as need be 1-3 days in advance. This is where intuition really comes in, if I can make a second session work in a day, I?ll do that. If I need the occasional day off, I take it.

I think you?re getting caught up on trying to achieve supercompensation, which is taking away from performance, which should be your real focus! If you can temper yourself into frequent, high performance training, you will surely achieve supercompensation when you take time off. The ?tempering? part always feels like overtraining, but we use performance/progression of lifting as an indicator that training is working.
[/quote]

I’m an idiot dude. You’re probably right about frequent high performance training sessions. I just need to figure out where to draw the line. What’s frequent and what’s overboard. With the way I felt after I did that 5x5 I’d say I could do that once every 4 weeks. I’m thinking I should cut back. I don’t really know what my limits are though. So part of me wants to continue with my original plan to see where it leads.

Your avatar is funny man. I find it ironic.

haha thank you, irondwarf made it while pissed at me

Right now I’ve been taking squats/deads/powercleans, doing a weight for 3x3, then two days later doing it for 3x5. I add 10-20 lbs and go back to 3x3 and repeat it over and over. I’m hitting a major lower body lift this way about 5x a week. I think it’s working for me because I’m weak (probably a big part of it lol), I’m sleeping and eating well, and the volume and reps per set are low enough that I don’t get crippling soreness. The past few days have been power clean, squat, deadlift, squat, deadlift, and tomorrow most likely squat again. I’m definitely down to push through feeling shitty, but I don’t want to go in the gym and be obnoxiously weak and/or hurt myself.

I think it’s easy read about the bulgarians and then say hey I’m going to go hard and heavy every day for weeks, sleep/eat for 3 days and then set PRs across the board. This is wrong thinking. Clearly we can’t be at 100% every day, but we should focus increasing the weights we can hit on an average day. This will lead to those big increases on those feeling 100%/PR testing/meet days. We’re not always at our peak, but we should be at our prime if that makes sense. The gym is a place to be and get stronger.

http://www.pendlay.com/The-Training-Weight_df_80.html