Intruder Shot. This Makes Me Happy.

"Phoenix police are investigating the shooting of a suspect near 59th Avenue and Thomas. A homeowner shot and killed an intruder, police say.

A homeowner says he woke up Thursday morning when he heard someone banging on his front door. He says the next thing he knew the suspect was trying to get inside his bedroom. As the door flew open, the homeowner says he grabbed a rifle and shot the intruder.

The suspect died on scene. Police say a gun was found near him." - Azcentral.com

I cant comment on the rest of the country but here in Phoenix, there seems to be a huge home invasion problem. Almost daily I there are reports about home invasions, a lot of times, sadly, it is elderly people who are taken advantage of. No wonder everyone here has a gun. Do any other T-members see this type of crime in your communities? (obviously among other crimes) What makes me happy is that homeowners are sick of this bullshit and are doing something about it by blasting these fuckers.

I could go on and on about this but ill spare you. End of rant.

JuiceBox

Who the hell bangs on the front door if they want to break into a house? Why don’t you just ring the doorbell and set off some flares while you’re at it?

Sucks to barge into the bedroom of a guy who keeps a loaded rifle next to his bed.

I read a story yesterday about someone who broke into a Green Bay Packers running back’s house (Herron, I think). Herron unscrewed one of his bed posts, went downstairs, and bludgeoned the guy. That’s fucking awesome.

Luckily he killed him. I read in the news a while back that some guy tried to break into someone’s house and fell onto some glass sculpture/modern art thing. Maimed himself and then went and SUCCESSFULLY sued the guy.

Shoot to kill.

Sadly the law in the UK is very different. We are supposedly allowed to use “reasonable force” if someone tresspasses on our property, but it’s somewhat of a grey area. That means that if you kick the shit out of someone, you could quite possibly end up with a longer sentence than the intruder.

Regardless, if someone broke into my house in the middle of the night while my (future) wife and kids were in bed - they wouldn’t be leaving in the traditional way.

I agree, these people are not coming to tuck you into bed and read you a bed time story. Should someone enter your home unlawfully to cause any harm, let them know its the last house the burglarize. Do you want to worry about him getting out of jail in 6 months and coming back for revenge? He will plead to a lesser charge, get less time, and maybe come back to get payback. Fuck that.

[quote]Tithonus81 wrote:
Luckily he killed him. I read in the news a while back that some guy tried to break into someone’s house and fell onto some glass sculpture/modern art thing. Maimed himself and then went and SUCCESSFULLY sued the guy.

Shoot to kill.[/quote]

Only in good ol’ US of A do criminals seem to have more rights than law abiding citizens.

[quote]Dave_ wrote:
Sadly the law in the UK is very different. We are supposedly allowed to use “reasonable force” if someone tresspasses on our property, but it’s somewhat of a grey area. That means that if you kick the shit out of someone, you could quite possibly end up with a longer sentence than the intruder.

Regardless, if someone broke into my house in the middle of the night while my (future) wife and kids were in bed - they wouldn’t be leaving in the traditional way. [/quote]

Police officers have said that if you kill a thief or mugger in the heat of the moment, or even after chasing someone down in the street, they won’t prosecute.

I don’t really think the guy should be arrested, but it does seem a little extreme to kill a person just for breaking in to your house.
Maybe just shoot his knees caps?

[quote]Ben Jones wrote:
Dave_ wrote:

Regardless, if someone broke into my house in the middle of the night while my (future) wife and kids were in bed - they wouldn’t be leaving in the traditional way.

Police officers have said that if you kill a thief or mugger in the heat of the moment, or even after chasing someone down in the street, they won’t prosecute.

I don’t really think the guy should be arrested, but it does seem a little extreme to kill a person just for breaking in to your house.
Maybe just shoot his knees caps?[/quote]

In most states, the law says you can use deadly force if someone is breaking into your house or residence. The guy was well within his rights, most likely. Unfortunately for the would-be attacker, he picked the wrong guy to fuck with.

When I took a business law class, this topic came up. My teacher, who was just a sweet old lady, said something to the effect of, “if you’re going to shoot someone as they’re breaking into your house, make sure they fall in, not out.”

[quote]Ben Jones wrote:
Dave_ wrote:

I am guessing from this comment that you’ve never shot before.

[quote]Ben Jones wrote:

When a guy who’s possible armed is breaking into your bedroom I don’t think it’s the time to try to play marksman and incapacitate him. Going for knees or any target like that is just as crazy as trying to shoot him in the head.
Go for the center of gravity, take the easiest sure course of action and put three in his chest.

[quote]Ben Jones wrote:
I don’t really think the guy should be arrested, but it does seem a little extreme to kill a person just for breaking in to your house. Maybe just shoot his knees caps?
[/quote]

It may seem extreme AFTERWARDS, but one will need to take into account the emotional distress at the moment. Reacting to things from moment to moment is way different than “let’s sit down and reviewed what happened”. I use to live in a bad part of Brooklyn in New York where burglars always try to come in. I remember in one particular incident, my aunt had to hold the window close while the burglar on the other side was trying to open it, LOL. Too bad we didn’t have any rifles with us at the time as I wouldn’t have any qualms about shoot to kill.

[quote]Ben Jones wrote:

And leave someone alive to sue you for everything you’re worth? No thanks.

As boyscout mentioned, most states in the United States allow you to use deadly force in the event of a home invasion. But I’d imagine the guy’s lawyer could make a good case that you used excessive force if you only felt threatened enough to consciously try to incapacitate him, rather than shoot-to-kill in the heat of the moment.

Plus if he ends up pulling a firearm and fights back you’re good as dead after the fact. And he’d most likely get away with killing you, in a legal sense, since you shot first.

Given the nanoseconds you have to react and make the decision to shoot, your best bet (if you don’t want to end up pennyless, dead, or in prison) is to shoot to kill.

Every time I see/hear “shoot to kill” I think of AC/DC.

Yes, I know they were shooting to thrill.

Just remember that even though I’m sure most people coming into your house are looking to do harm, there are the rare cases where an Alzheimer’s patient, roofied girl or accident victim get confused. Take the time to identify your target. Even if you don’t have any criminal or civil liabilities, your life would still suck.

[quote]Ben Jones wrote:
Dave_ wrote:

Sherrif department issues pistol permits here say if you shoot someone make sure they are dead when we get there. Other wise it is your word aginst theirs. That and maiming someone is messed up.

I keep a .357 mag in my night stand though. Magnums help make hits anywhere lethal and i can shoot through walls. It is a Revolver as well so it never jams. My wife is also proficient with it as well as my shotgun.

[quote]jakshafter wrote:

I keep a .357 mag in my night stand though. Magnums help make hits anywhere lethal and i can shoot through walls. It is a Revolver as well so it never jams. My wife is also proficient with it as well as my shotgun.
[/quote]

I keep hand grenades in my night stand.

I figure if an intruder ever storms into my bedroom, I’ll just pull the pin, toss one at his feet, and pull the blankets up over my head.

I don’t know why you guys don’t prefer a shotgun - it’s faster to aim (with bead sights) and packs a lot more punch than a pistol.

[quote]JuiceBox wrote:
"Phoenix police are investigating the shooting of a suspect near 59th Avenue and Thomas. A homeowner shot and killed an intruder, police say.

A homeowner says he woke up Thursday morning when he heard someone banging on his front door. He says the next thing he knew the suspect was trying to get inside his bedroom. As the door flew open, the homeowner says he grabbed a rifle and shot the intruder.

The suspect died on scene. Police say a gun was found near him." - Azcentral.com
[/quote]

My monthly American Hunter (an NRA mag) has a page dedicated to stories like these. Usually about six or eight stories about people using firearms to defend themselves or their family. The worst penalty someone should face for defending their property or family from an intruder is a ticket for littering.

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
Just remember that even though I’m sure most people coming into your house are looking to do harm, there are the rare cases where an Alzheimer’s patient, roofied girl or accident victim get confused. Take the time to identify your target. Even if you don’t have any criminal or civil liabilities, your life would still suck.[/quote]

Uh, I see your point, but I think it would be fairly easy to distinguish between a roofied girl or Alzeimer’s patient and a criminal intent on getting in and doing no good. The first two examples probably wouldn’t be too successful getting past the front lawn.

D

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Who the hell bangs on the front door if they want to break into a house? Why don’t you just ring the doorbell and set off some flares while you’re at it?

Sucks to barge into the bedroom of a guy who keeps a loaded rifle next to his bed.

I read a story yesterday about someone who broke into a Green Bay Packers running back’s house (Herron, I think). Herron unscrewed one of his bed posts, went downstairs, and bludgeoned the guy. That’s fucking awesome.[/quote]

I lived in that neighborhood for a long time,there is an apartment complex that is gated right there on the corner of 59th and thomas and the police wont go in there unless they need to.
my first night I was walking around with a buddy of mine and I saw SWAT running around and some guy told us I dont care where you go you need to go inside before your shot.

when we told him I lived in the back and didnt know anyone he said well you better make friends then dont you?
personally I have no idea why this is even in the news it happens all the time.
anyways knocking on the door is to see if anyone is home
if the yanswer then you make up something like is blah blah home
if they are not you kick in the door

thats why they do it.

I have always owned a 357 highway patrol special
but I loaded it with hand loaded 38 special round and not the 357 mags because I was worried about overpenatration
didnt want it going through some guy and into the neighbors house hurting them.

now I dont live in apartmenst anymore I dont care about that