T Nation

Introductions

I have been reading articles and posts for a while, but never got around to posting too much. I figured that an introduction article would be in order, and so here goes.

I used to run (a lot). I always thought that the folks that went to the gym were a bunch of idiots. I don't know why I thought that, but I did. I was running 5-8 miles 3-5 times per week. not really a schedule, but more of what I needed to do for the Corps and such. I quit completly after I had a (sorry for poor spelling) labendectomey and a discotomey. I had ruptured one of my lumbar discs somehow (I dont know how), and could hardly walk for a LONG time. I got out of the military and started sitting around, doing nothing. Then I went to Kuwait as a civilian, and worked with a guy that hit the gym 5 times a week, like clockwork. I looked up to this guy, and decided that the gym wasn't THAT stupid. (esp since I wasn't doing too much in the way of fitness).

blah blah blah....

I am going back to the gym after a 8 month out due to work/school/first house/wife. I do not have a workout "plan" per se. I have push days and pull days. Push days generally consist of:
close-grip bench
wide grip bench
squat
dips
calf-extension
and dumb bell military press.

(I use the dumbells because when I use a barbell for military press my shoulder pops. But that is another Thread all together)

A pull day consists of:

standing curls
barbell rows
pull ups/chin ups (I still dont really understand the difference)
cable rows

What can I do the the workout to make it better?

I have also started cutting the sugar out of my diet (read soda and insane amounts of coffee-syrup), stoped eating fast food, and increased protein intake considerably.

I am taking createine and tribulus (sorry for spelling) in addition to PWO shakes.

What can I do in these catagories to help myself?

current physical stats:
5'8"
209 lbs
squat 125 6x
bench 115 6x

Generally a lard ass is how I would sum it up.

Thanks for your time gentlemen.

also:

Is it ok to mi my creatine into my morning oats instead of drinking it? I have heard people advocate just putting the spoon of creatine in your mouth instead of miing it with a liquid, I am just wondering what your feelings are on this way.

--Thanks

me myself
How long have you been doing your present program? It may be time to change it. What do you want to accomplish?
About the creatine I would mix it with hot water and a product like Surge .

I actually just started this program. It was not really a program per se, just something that I have heard before, a push/pull split.

Since my internet time is generally limited (I refuse to pay for cable or phone to my house) I print stuff off at work, and read it later. Hence the reason that I have a 3" binder full of T-Nation articles that I go through.

I found an article http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_130dawg (this one), and I will start to do an actual program based off of what it suggests. I will stick with it for about 6 weeks, and go from there, either sticking with it or moving on at that point.

What do you think of that articles workout program? seems like it is pretty basic, and a good way to jump-start my way back into lifting.

That looks like an awesome work out.