T Nation

Introduction to Knee Sleeves?

Note: I’m terribly noob on any form of gear, so please don’t h8 too much.

I want to start adding some powerlifting tools to my arsenal and a friend recommended getting some knee sleeves for squatting.

Would Convict APT sleeves be okay to start out with, or will they be way too advanced for good use? I get the notion that wraps are better suited for max attempts and sleeves are better for more frequent use?

Or if anybody has links to beginners articles for any kind of gear, it’d be much appreciated.

Sleeves are a step between raw and equipped, imo. A lot of USAPL raw lifters like the Inzer sleeves that are made out of the same material as the wraps. Other people who just use sleeves for warmth and not for rebound like the rehband sleeves (although I’ve never used them).

Sleeves are never really “too advanced” since all they do is keep your joints warm and running (they may give a little rebound if they are sized correctly). On the other hand wraps can vary greatly, i know for a fact convict WRAPS are a bitch, feels like i am wearing a cast on my legs, but the carryover is good.

[quote]matso1236 wrote:
Sleeves are never really “too advanced” since all they do is keep your joints warm and running (they may give a little rebound if they are sized correctly).

On the other hand wraps can vary greatly, i know for a fact convict WRAPS are a bitch, feels like i am wearing a cast on my legs, but the carryover is good.

[/quote]

Yeah, from what I gather, as pushmepullme said, the convict sleeves are the same material as the wraps.

[quote]machiajelly wrote:
matso1236 wrote:
Sleeves are never really “too advanced” since all they do is keep your joints warm and running (they may give a little rebound if they are sized correctly).

On the other hand wraps can vary greatly, i know for a fact convict WRAPS are a bitch, feels like i am wearing a cast on my legs, but the carryover is good.

Yeah, from what I gather, as pushmepullme said, the convict sleeves are the same material as the wraps.[/quote]

You cant crank up sleeves though, or at least i don’t think you can, i know i get like 5lb out of my sleeves and they are rather tight, im getting 25lb out of my wraps.

I have convict sleeves and wraps and the sleeves are not as rough.

[quote]matso1236 wrote:
machiajelly wrote:
matso1236 wrote:

Yeah, from what I gather, as pushmepullme said, the convict sleeves are the same material as the wraps.

You cant crank up sleeves though, or at least i don’t think you can, i know i get like 5lb out of my sleeves and they are rather tight, im getting 25lb out of my wraps.

I have convict sleeves and wraps and the sleeves are not as rough.[/quote]

The Inzer sleeves have velcro tabs that let you crank them up a bit, but no where near how you can crank wraps.

I would not even consider knee sleeves a powerlifting tool to be honest. They are kind of just a weightlifting tool… if your knees hurt or need to be warm, use them.

I have yet to try wrapping my knees so I cant speak for that, but all the sleeves really do are help my knees stay warm and give me a little confidence my knee cap wont shoot across the gym if i mess up. I purchased the Tommy Kono sleeves off of APT’s site. Most tend to go with Rehbands tho.

I say get them, but if you are looking for some pop or assistance you should look elsewhere…

I got my APT Convicts today and tried them out - they feel so nice. I kind of felt naked when I took them off.

^^^I’ve got these and some Rehbands (and some wraps, but don’t use them). The ATP sleeves are more for compression IMO, they are made out of the same or similar material as wraps. The Rehbands are more for heat retention. They are not as compressive, as they are made of neoprene. They do keep the knee very warm. It depends on what you like or need. I like them both about equally, with a slight edge to the Rehbands.

Just used the convicts for squatting and the compression/stretch in the hole is awesome.

Can you gents post some info that could be helpful in picking the correct size sleeves from APT? I’m 5’10 205# with small joints ie 15" measured around the kneecap, 15.5" around lower leg, and 24" around upper leg, and I don’t know which size sleeve to order based on APT’s bodyweight sizing system. I’d like to get a set of sleeves that are really tight, not cranked up wrap tight, but loose wrap tight, if that makes sense. Thanks.

iv got a medium size pair of tommy kono sleaves. my knee is 16" round the cap, and 23/24" above that, hoe that helps with sizing. they are great!

For those of us who aren’t 18 anymore…

Tommy Kono knee sleeves are great for keeping warm. No rebound off of them. Some of the guys I train with have both the TK sleeves and the APT and would rather use the TK’s. Not that the APT is bad, but it doesn’t keep in warmth. Rehband is fine, but pricey, and I haven’t heard a lot of good things about them since they changed from the original blue to the grey (different material or thickness of neoprene now).

You can get the TK at APT as well http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/29942

I love my Rehbands.

I use the Inzer sleeves, and I must say they definitely give me a little pop. I am not sure how much exactly but maybe 10 pounds at least. For the record, I do not use them for knee warmth. I just like to get 10 extra pounds in competition.

[quote]frankovic wrote:
I use the Inzer sleeves, and I must say they definitely give me a little pop. I am not sure how much exactly but maybe 10 pounds at least. For the record, I do not use them for knee warmth. I just like to get 10 extra pounds in competition.[/quote]

Eh… do you lift “raw”???

I bought 2 scarves to keep my knees warm, works great and inexpensive.

my TK’s were bout half the price of rehbands

I use some APT knee sleeves, and they’re great for keeping warm.

New EFS line of straps, wraps and sleeves just came out today.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=CB&cid=139&bid=1

I think I’ll order a pair of the elbow sleeves, my APTs are a little tight.