T Nation

Introduction of New Member

I am 63 years young and have lifted weights off and on for over 50 years… I was a competitive olympic lifter in my teens and did well for a skinny young kid from Texas… As the years passed I decided I wanted to put on size and concentrated on mass building… I worked out hard, in actuality, to hard and was overtrained most of the time… but I did manage to put on some size and muscle…

As the years passed my sloppy diet and over drinking lifestyle saw a once skinny kid of about 120 lbs balloon up to 260… Most of my adult life has been lived on yo-yo dieting that has seen me loose and gain over 50lbs eight differnt times… My health was dismal to say the least and a once muscular body was a gelatinous piece of fat… I still worked out off and on and in between injuries that came frequently but never could keep it up for over 6 months without having a bad injury or the energy to persevere…

Five years ago I had an extensive restructuring of my left shoulder and decided enough was enough… It took three and a half years to get my shoulder to get the majority of its movement back… and at 61 years old I started to get back in shape… I walked 5 to 6 days a week for over a year and watched my diet … I lost about 65 lbs and at 62 years of age I started to hit the gym again…

I was making alot of progress and was happy with the rebirth of the drive for lifting I had when I was younger… However, as fate may have it… my 45 years of living an unhealthy lifestyle caught up with me… I was at the gym doing cardio warm up, before my work out, and felt a huge discomfort in my jaw… I went on emergency and three days later I was in the cardiac wing of a local hospital having a quadruple bypass…

Luckily there was no damage to the heart muscle and all went well… After 3 months of rehab I was given the clearance to get back in the gym… Ive worked out for 5 weeks now and include cardio 3 times a week … I am really watching my diet and have seen considerable gains in strenghth accompanied by a reduction in bodyfat and an increase in muscle mass…

I am excited by the progress but am still working on regaining my strength … It is coming slow but each workout has seen me increase in weight for each individual set in each exercise… I still have a roll of fat around my mid section and would love to know how to get rid of it… I am weighing about 180 now and look pretty good except for my waist…

I know I will continue to improve and I know I will succeed in developing a body anyone of any age would be proud of… I look forward to years of a healthy lifestyle and learning as much as I can about new methods for training… If any of you “wiser” “more mature” lifters out there know any suggestions on how to rid my midsection of the spare tire without sacrificing to much weight I would love and appreciate hearing your input…

Hope to hear from you soon…

Great story–simultaneously inspiring and cautionary. Sounds like you’re on the right track. Because of certain unfortunate facts concerning its physiology, that midsection fat is usually the last to come off for us guys (for the same reasons women often struggle with thigh/hip fat), but it will if you stick with the plan long enough. That said, if you’ll post details of your diet and/or training, I (and others I’m sure) will be happy to give you feedback.