T Nation

Introducing Myself

Hello everyone. I’m a mom of 2 who is looking to lose the last few pounds around my midsection.

A little background. Before I had kids I was tiny, 5’ 102 lbs, but not really fit. I gained 45 lbs with my first child, but lost about 30 after delivery. I started my second pregnancy at 128 lbs and was about 118 after delivery. About 7 months after having my daughter I started working again. I didn’t have much time to cook (didn’t make the time really) and I ballooned up to 145.

Since quitting that job I used 21 Day Fix Extreme to lose my first 10 lbs. When I finished my first round I thought I’d try keto. I lost another 10-12 lbs. So now I’m down to about 116, but all the fat is concentrated in my stomach. Seriously, I could still pass for 5 months pregnant. I found Christian’s “Sexy Female Training” article and I’m really considering what he said. I’m not looking for serious weight training, but I’m not afraid of lifting either. My shoulders and legs are decently well developed. My goal now is to lose the belly fat.

Disclaimer: we have not had children yet, so I cannot speak specifically to losing pregnancy weight, but my wife is a longtime runner/yogi who used to consider a Jillian Michaels DVD (relatively similar to the workouts in 21-day fix; her sister has done the 21-day fix program a few times).

She started doing some serious kettlebell workouts with me about two years ago, and this year has added legitimate barbell training. Nothing too crazy, she basically just comes to the gym with me and does squats and deadlifts once a week, but even that has made a dramatic difference in her strength and (more pertinent to your question) her physique. I think that one of Christian Thibadeau’s programs would be a terrific idea but just to be clear: do you mean Chad Waterbury’s Sexy Female Training, linked below, or something else?

Honestly, you don’t have to do “serious weight training” like the big bodybuilder-bros for it to be worth doing some lifting. Getting a few sets of some big compound movements a few days per week can do wonders, and as you noted, several of the authors here have written programs specifically for people like yourself.

Hi there,

Congrats on getting yourself back down in weight. I have 2 kids myself and I know that after having kids it can be very frustrating to get your ideal physique back.

I know you said you don’t want to do any kind of serious weight training but I would definitely suggest adding at least 3 days of weight training/resistance training to your program. It doesn’t mean you’re going to gain serious amounts of muscle and turn into a bodybuilder (that won’t happen at all!) but the extra muscle mass and energy enpenditure from these sessions will help you with fat loss. Also, the extra muscle mass is going to make your physique look more proportionate and not to mention it will help you in every day life especially when you’re running after kids all day (it can be physically demanding… I know ;))
A lot of people think that just concentrating on ab exercises is going to help their midsection but it’s a combination of everything together so you need to have a good training program, diet and cardio plan set up in order to get the results you’re looking for.

I am suggesting 3-4 days a week to start and concentrate on compound movements with the barbell(kettle bells or dumbbells are good too) as suggested above - I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the changes in your physique if you be consistent and give it your best shot.

Also, if your stomach is holding a lot of fat and if it seems bloated it probably has a lot to do with your diet as well. It might be a good idea to reassess what you’re doing in terms of nutrition because that can really make or break you.

Have a good day :slight_smile:

Yes, that’s the program I meant.

I’m certainly not against weight training, but I haven’t been seeing the results I want from the training I’ve been doing. After my first round of 21DFX I started using the 21DFX Lower Fix for my legs. I put together my own upper body workout and cardio circuit. I was doing legs Monday and Thursday, arms and cardio Tuesday and Friday, and just cardio Wednesday and Saturday. Maybe I should train upper and lower 3 times a week instead of 2? (I do them separately because I can usually only find 30-45 mins a day to get a workout in.)

As for nutrition I came off keto because I was getting sick of eating the same stuff all the time. Now I’m going for 40/30/30 protein, carbs, and fats at about 1400 calories a day. I also take a probiotic. I don’t really cheat much because if I do it’ll be a whole weekend of cheating. It’s better if I just don’t.

Thanks for you comments!