Intro to Rap/Hip-Hop

Shoot me a PM with an address and I’ll mail ya a DVD’s worth of MP3’s in the genre. Above mentions are great though too.

[quote]AllTraps wrote:
Shoot me a PM with an address and I’ll mail ya my dick covered in anthrax. Above mentions are great though too.[/quote]

WTF?

Yes, ODB, and I’ll give you a reach around too if you bend nicely

[quote]therajraj wrote:
You all fail, none of you bothered to mention the best rap album ever created.

Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
[/quote]

Not the best (due to diddy back up grunts all over), but must be on every list.

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

Not the best (due to diddy back up grunts all over), but must be on every list.[/quote]

What in your opinion is the best rap album of all time?

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

Not the best (due to diddy back up grunts all over), but must be on every list.[/quote]

[/quote]

Damn that is hard. I’m a Biggie fan to the 10th level but I have a BEST or #1 for each period of my life. So I’m going to say it like this I have a before Bigge Smalls number one and a after Biggie Smalls.

BBS - Nas 1st album “ILLmatic”
100 Miles and Running
followed by Only Built 40 Cuban links & Enter the Wu Tang 36 Chambers (40 cuban was during biggie but still I consider it a before he blew up)

ABS - Reasonable Doubt & The Blue Print

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Illmatic by Nas is on the top of everyone’s list. That shit is in our DNA.

[quote]humanimal wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Illmatic by Nas is on the top of everyone’s list. That shit is in our DNA.[/quote]

Damn we hit Submit at the same time. Illmatic was damn near perfect. I still think it may be to NYC for most to have it as number 1 but I’ll put that on and I have flash backs to Walking down Broadway at night after a good rain feeling like the king of NY.

I like Ready to Die much more than illmatic.

But I love the song Halftime

Enter the Wu Tang (36 Chambers), best of all time.

[quote]TK52 wrote:
Enter the Wu Tang (36 Chambers), best of all time. [/quote]

I would argue but that is a hard argument to have. Illmatic was a classic in every form of the word. I still can’t believe how shot the album was. I almost wish it was his second and not his first album because it was hard to live up to the hype people made for him at what 17yrs old.

[quote]four60 wrote:

[quote]TK52 wrote:
Enter the Wu Tang (36 Chambers), best of all time. [/quote]

I would argue but that is a hard argument to have. Illmatic was a classic in every form of the word. I still can’t believe how shot the album was. I almost wish it was his second and not his first album because it was hard to live up to the hype people made for him at what 17yrs old.[/quote]

I’m just going to go ahead and say take a loot at almost everything form this time period. Early to mid/late nineties. If the 90’s were good for anything it was the golden age of rap.

nas - it was written…

just makes me want to go to queensbridge sell coke and fuck bad bitches son…

I dunno, I’d probably put Ready to Die ahead of Illmatic, although both are great. Ready to Die is probably my pick for best rap album ever.

And Life After Death is pretty much the blueprint to the blockbuster rap album that everyone credits Jay-Z for making. Biggie basically made the perfect gangsta rap record on his first CD, then followed it with the prototypical pop-gangsta rap album that everyone from Ma$e [Harlem World, underrated LP] to Jay [2001-2003 output], to 50 [albeit dumbed down] and even guys like Game and DMX have done some variation of.

Biggie is easily the most talented rapper ever, and is probably a lock for 2nd best rapper all time on only 2 albums. Crazy.

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:
I dunno, I’d probably put Ready to Die ahead of Illmatic, although both are great. Ready to Die is probably my pick for best rap album ever.

And Life After Death is pretty much the blueprint to the blockbuster rap album that everyone credits Jay-Z for making. Biggie basically made the perfect gangsta rap record on his first CD, then followed it with the prototypical pop-gangsta rap album that everyone from Ma$e [Harlem World, underrated LP] to Jay [2001-2003 output], to 50 [albeit dumbed down] and even guys like Game and DMX have done some variation of.

Biggie is easily the most talented rapper ever, and is probably a lock for 2nd best rapper all time on only 2 albums. Crazy.[/quote]

Hard to argue with this.

However, I will say that Enter the Wu-Tang set the blueprint for most of what came after it. Illmatic and Ready to Die, along with perhaps Raekwon’s OB4CL, can lay legitimate claim to the best rap album of all-time, but these albums were all made possible by the stripped-down musical approach and realistic, graphic lyrics that dealt with the harsh nature of street/thug life.

I’m a big fan of the Wu-Tang, ESPECIALLY their early stuff, so I’m hardly objective. But I would argue that when the list is narrowed down to a few key albums (Enter…, Ready…, Illmatic), the album that influenced the others wins in a tiebreaker.

We could go back further and say that something like It Takes a Nation of Millions by PE is the best by that criteria. But I would argue against that because I think Enter the Wu-Tang is THE album that really kickstarted the proverbial Golden Age of Hip-Hop. I think you could also argue that the Wu-Tang in general heavily influenced that era more than any other group or rapper, from their lyrical style to their minimalist production techniques to their choice of samples to their clothing and overall appearance.

I don’t think you could go wrong saying that any of the aforementioned albums were the GOAT, but my own vote goes to Enter the Wu-Tang, if no other reason than it was the one that came first and laid the foundation that the other ones built upon.

What made Ready to die almost the perfect record beyond biggies one of a kind flow, is the whole thing reads like a story from birth to death. He hit growing up in BKLYN, his life with mom, being poor, sex, intro to rap, then drugs to making a deal, making it big then death. It’s scary how that album played out and the Big man did it an made it look effortless.

I’m almost scared to ask who you have as #1

[quote]four60 wrote:
I’m almost scared to ask who you have as #1[/quote]

Soulja Boy

Also outside of the GOAT discussion, I really like 2pac albums- All Eyez on Me and the 7 Day Theory.

Just noticed:

Ready to Die went 4x platinum

All Eyez on Me went 9x platinum