T Nation

Intro - My Story

I just wanted to introduce myself. I recently found this site and have been reading alot of the articles/posts.

Some background: I’m 24 and have been going to the gym regularly for a little over 2 years. I’m 5’11 and when I started in Oct of 2004, I was hovering around the 250 lb mark. I was out of shape and did not have any type of continuous activity since sophomore year of high school.

I received a free membership to a gym from a friend, started slowly, but ended up finding a passion and love for the gym. it became my second home. I changed my diet (I lived off of fast food practically my whole life), and started cooking and eating healthy.

By July of 2005, I was going to the gym 4-5 days a week, for 2-3 hours a day (I know… overtraining), and was down to 185 lbs. I was doing cardio (at least 5 miles on the treadmill or elliptical), ab work, and some isolated lifting. Some days I would even do a triathalon type cardio session where I would do 2-3 miles on the treadmill, 5 miles on the bike, then 10 laps in the pool.

It should be noted I was also taking a fatburner: VPX Redline. I loved the stuff and admit it did help me alot. I read alot of articles and tried some different techniques here and there, but still worked around my usual routine.

In October, I started some boxing training with some friends and quickly realized my strength was not where it should be. I had the endurance to go many rounds sparring and on the heavy bag, but I probably wouldn’t be knocking anyone out.

I started lifting heavier, taking creatine (well No-Xplode), and more protein (Muscle Milk). Also, my diet fell off a little bit, but definitely nothing like eating fast food daily or anything.

By March of 2006 I was lifting heavier and doing less cardio. I was back up to 200 lbs, but i definitely put on alot of mass, looked more built, but still wasn’t as “cut” as I liked. I attributed that to my diet.

Also, I started going to school again, so I could no longer put in the 2-3 hour nights in the gym a day.

In April, along with school, I started seeing my girlfriend and my workout and diet took a major dive. I tried to hit the gym as much as possible, but that dwindled to 2 times a week, if that. Also, we ate out alot. I went up to 215 lbs with alot of noticeable fat around the midsection and face and noticed a drop in strength and endurance.

Late September I decided to make a change again. I honestly missed working out like I used to. I started working out in the morning before work. (A huge thing for me, because I am as nocturnal as they get) I sleep early now, and wake up at 5:30-6:00 in the morning to have my bowl of oatmeal and hit them gym at 7 (or earlier) for an hour or so.

I have reverted back to a cleaner diet, cooking nightly, and eating more meals spread out through out the day.

Currently my workout split goes like this:

Mon-Wed- Fri

Cardio for half an hour (treadmill or elliptical)

then do a variation of a complex workout I found at:
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/mma2.htm

75 lbs

Romanian Deadlift - 6 reps
Bent Over Row - 6 reps
Push Press - 6 reps
Back Squat - 6 reps
Good Morning - 6 reps

x 3 sets

Tues - Thurs

Cardio for half an hour (treadmill or elliptical)

Dips

Bench Press

Lat Pull Downs (Cable)

Low Rows (Cable)

I’m very conflicted with my goals. I plan on taking some formal MMA training soon. Not really looking to compete, but who knows. I do want to have that kind of conditioning though: proper strength, endurance, and flexibility. Currently, I want to get back down to 180-185 and I want to maintain it.

Sore articles have already caught my eye:

The FFB Handbook
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-118-diet
The Tabata Method
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=04-046-training (I plan on trying it this weekend)

And I’ve printed out almost 20 others that I’ll be reading on my free time.

With my experiences I found that I truly have a love for working out, but at the same time I realize I am still much a beginner. After being overweight most of my life, it feels great to be in shape and athletic.

I find myself always trying to test myself and I look for challenges from hiking various “difficult” trails in my area, long distance biking, to even taking up a full contact martial art. I find myself researching and reading constantly. I’ve come to love it so much that I have changed my major to kinesiology.

To end this post, I guess I just want to say how happy I am to have found this site. If you actually read the whole long post, any input, suggested articles, workouts, diets, etc, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

I am most impressed with your ability to lift in the future.

OK, a little Too Much Information but I applaud your enthusiasm. This site is a great resource. Check out Vroom’s beginners threads and exercise your brain as well as your body. Try not to jump from routine to routine. Give your body a chance to adapt to a new regime before you change it up because something else looks more exciting.

Take you time, be consistent, accept that you’re in this for the long haul. You’ll find the life changes you make now have some wonderful consequences in many aspects of your future.

BTW, take some before pics now, but DON’T post them here until you have made some substantial progress. Then give us the before/after post. Trust me on this one :-).

[quote]vbm537 wrote:
I am most impressed with your ability to lift in the future.[/quote]

Oops. My bad… yeah… edited.

[quote]usho wrote:
vbm537 wrote:
I am most impressed with your ability to lift in the future.

Oops. My bad… yeah… edited.[/quote]

Bummer, I thought you were onto something.