Intro, 71 Year Old Trainer

Great Forum!

I’m 71 and been lifting steadily the past 30 years but off & on most of my life. I’m picking up some good info here and appreciate it. I’m a certified personal trainer, but not really savvy with weight training. Most of my knowledge is based on person experience. I use the 3 basic lifts plus lots of ab work. Us old guys know the “bulging belly” is our nemesis and requires lots of preventative work!

Welcome Grampa! Nice to meet you.

Nice to meet ya!

[quote]daddyzombie wrote:
Welcome Grampa! Nice to meet you.[/quote]

Grampa??? GREAT grampa is more like it. With age comes experience. Welcome.

TNT

Good job and welcome

Welcome grampaj! If you’re reading the archived articles on this site you’ll be savvy about weightlifting in no time!

Welcome, gramps. Your input will be interesting. Not much input around here on lifting at your age. I think Old Navy is closest at around 64/65.

Howdy Grampaj. I hope we can look forward to stories about your clients and experiences.

Hi and welcome. You have 8 years on me. I just lurk here and laugh at the young. Been training 45 years and just maintain out of habit. I used to have a six pack now it is down to a 4.

Welcome Iron Brother! I will interested to see your views on science vs experience!

Oldtmimer - Laughing at the young is great sport…wait Your not laughing at me are you? LOL

Its inspiring to know I can do this for another 30 years!

Maybe we need a special section for those of us that are collecting pensions and still training. This “Over 35” section is getting to crowded with young riff-raff.

TNT

Couldn’t agree more TNT-CDN I’ve asked TC several times for an Over 60 Forum but he refused.
To CW above I only laugh at the under 35s!

[quote]hel320 wrote:
Welcome, gramps. Your input will be interesting. Not much input around here on lifting at your age. I think Old Navy is closest at around 64/65.[/quote]

1. I hold two personal trainer certifications: NGA Master Fitness Trainer and NFPT Certified Personal Trainer. I work full-time as a PT at the Mountain Brook Branch of the Birmingham, Alabama YMCA.

My youngest client is a junior in high school ( 16 years-old) and my oldest is 78. Four of my clients are training for their first bodybuilding competiton. I am training for my 28th bodybuilding competition, my first one of which was when I was 61.

Welcome, Gramps. I’m glad you have joined the senior set here.

Hey Old Navy,

Your success is inspiring. Any suggestions for a 53 year old lifter who would like to start competing?

Clark

[quote]Clarkf622 wrote:
Hey Old Navy,

Your success is inspiring. Any suggestions for a 53 year old lifter who would like to start competing?

Clark[/quote]

Visit my web site: www.BodyBuildingSenior.com and look for an article I wrote called, “Training For Your First Bodybuilding Competition At Any Age.” I believe it will answer most of the questions you have about competing. If you want to talk about this some more, please PM me and I’ll be glad to help.

Scott “Old Navy”