T Nation

Intrigued by SAMBO!

Hey, guys

I’m thinking of taking up a MA, and found two SAMBO clubs, both 2-3 minutes away from my home. I’m sure I could also find Judo and Boxing classes near me, but am particularly intrigued by SAMBO… Found a few mentions of it in this forum by searching, but nothing specific. Has anyone tried it? Any contributions welcome!

G

It’s the national sport of russia. Also I do know that sambo focus more on leg locks and what not. Some pretty BA guys practice the sport of sambo. Fedor Emelianenko, Andre Arlovski, and Amir Sadollah. If I were you, I’d be all over joining one of those gyms.

Sambo is excellent, I played Judo for a long time , and liked Sambo very much, if you have a school near you that is very good, there is not much attention here for it in the states.

Sambo or sombo is a Judo hybrid
invloving throws, far more leg lock and ground work or newaza then most judo.

Its great fun.
go for it.
kmc

SAMBO or SOMBO is excellent, its a judo hybrid, with some different emphasis, on ground and leg lock work.

I posted a video here search under sambo warmup
or just go to google sambo warmup its a
school in japan, two part video.

Its more physical then jujitsu, and more athletic Its great stuff.and has excellent grip, hand fighting techniques ,leg grappling and yes throws.

Where do you live, there are a few in NYC and two being in Brooklyn.
Both are supherb schools.

Have fun and keep us updated
kmc

Depends how good the school is, post the names and hopefully someone (kmc or maybe jellyroll) will be able to help you out with whether or not they’re legit. I know I’ve ran into a few crap one’s that weren’t really sambo imo.

FYI, combat sambo might be more up your alley, that’s what fedor (still) competes in.

Son of a bitch,There is ZERO Sambo club in Houston. Is it Sport or Combat?

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Depends how good the school is, post the names and hopefully someone (kmc or maybe jellyroll) will be able to help you out with whether or not they’re legit. I know I’ve ran into a few crap one’s that weren’t really sambo imo.

FYI, combat sambo might be more up your alley, that’s what fedor (still) competes in.[/quote]

Xen brings up a good point check out the school post their website if they have one.

I can help but Jellyroll is far far more qualified then me to talk about sambo.
kmc

Sambo is cool as fuck. Very effective and brutal. If it’s a legitimate school, go for it.

doesnt combat sambo involve striking also?

One club is called “alkyd,” the other - “MGANG.” These are probably the names of the sports centers the sections belong to, though, not of the actual SAMBO clubs.

KMCNYC, I live in Moscow, Russia :). And you’re correct, I believe it was partly adapted from Judo by some Russians way back when.

Both clubs are just part of a general SAMBO directory, no info about combat/sport or whatever… Guess I’ll have to wait for 6-10 weeks, until my schedule frees up and I can start going to the classes!

[quote]Beershoes wrote:
It’s the national sport of russia. Also I do know that sambo focus more on leg locks and what not. Some pretty BA guys practice the sport of sambo. Fedor Emelianenko, Andre Arlovski, and Amir Sadollah. If I were you, I’d be all over joining one of those gyms.[/quote]

I guess it might be “a” national sport, but it isn’t really “the” national sport. In terms of popular support, that would definitely be soccer. SAMBO has lost a lot of the popularity it once had, unfortunately: it was more popular a generation ago, just like Kyokushin/Shotokan Karates, Judo and Boxing. Same is true for o-lifting, which some seem to think is huge here, but really isn’t… But I digress.

I won’t have the free time to start these classes until 6-10 weeks from now - maybe even later - but I’m quite adamant about picking up an MA this year, and if anyone’s interested in hearing about how classes are taught on this side of the iron curtain, I’ll keep people posted or keep a mini-log.

Oh, thought I should add - the reason I’m interested in SAMBO over Kyokushin, Judo or Boxing is that it seems to be the most balanced - i.e. strikes + grappling + kicks all involved to some extent.

Thanks for the info, everyone.

G87, I’ve heard good things about Sambo-70 from Russian exchange students. I believe it is in Moscow so you should see if it is feasible to go there. Not all Sambo schools have striking (Sambo is primarily a grappling sport) so if that is something you want you should make sure they train it.

shit dude you’re in fucking moscow? LOL

yea i’m pretty sure they’re legit :slight_smile:

I earned my blue belt in Sambo under Scott Sonnon.

I really like Sambo as the focus is so different than jits. It really focuses on the “bottom game” as Coach Sonnon puts it as compared to jits which focuses on the “top game”. That is, it does focus on leg locks and holds much more so than BJJ does.

Many of the transitions through the positional game are close but not exactly the same. Sambo includes many positional elements when attacking the legs that Jits lacks in my opinion (saddle, side saddle and so on) vs the leg pinch, which is all you really see in Jiu Jutsu.

I felt it was a really excellent addition to my game. Especially if you are in Moscow man! It is so tough to get that quality of education elsewhere unless you luck out.

Basically echoing what everyone else said and adding my .02.

careful with the leg subs. Certain ones just hurt like hell, but don’t do anything permanent. A buddy of mine got caught in a sub, blocked out the pain enough to escape and win the match. He was bruised for days but otherwise fine.

Others can do permanent damage, quickly. I ten to mix up the names so I won’t try to specify too much. Basically, if the lock is more of an attack around the Achilles tendon it’s going to hurt, but not perm damage. Anything else, tap early, quick, and hard. Do not try to be macho with leg subs. It’s not like a choke or arm sub where you can feel it coming on. Once it’s on, the first sign of pain, it’s done.

Other than that, as long as the teacher is good Sambo is fun. Of course, it would depend on your definition of fun. But in my experiences, fun.

^might do some permanent damage to my cock if i keep lookin at your avatar.