Intra Workout Carbs

what are the pro’s and cons of having intra workout carbs such as cluster dextrin Is there enough of a benefit to them

I typically use it only when I am either tired or have not eaten enough carbs before the workout. It helps me quite a bit under those scenarios. If I am not tired and I have eaten enough carbs, I do not notice a difference.

This feels like going to the Apple store and asking what’s up with iPhones

5 Likes

Pros: Lots.

Cons: Um. Bad for keto?

Reading “what’s up with iPhones” in a Jerry Seinfeld voice makes this post A+.

1 Like

Carbs are your body’s primary source of energy.

It’s easier for your body to use carbs than fat or protein, and that’s why your body is more energized when it has fat available. It simply can generate more energy faster and you will perform on your peak.

Story is more complicated when you are on keto diet, where body uses fat as primary fuel source, but - one good eating of carbs and body quickly switches back to using carbs.

You can also try pre workouts and stuff like that… caffeine will make you feel like you are energized, but you won’t really be, unless again - that same pre workout contains carbs.
Same like when my friends saying energy drink works better for them than creatine/amino acid pre workout with tons of caffeine in it. Simple - it’s sugar in your monster can, that sugar does for your performance more than caffeine, but you won’t really get so jacked fast by drinking sugary energy drinks.

My pre workout is anything from:
Smaller piece of candy
Blueberry muffin
1-2 banans or other fruit
Teaspoon of honey

That’s the best in my opinion.

I ask because I am currently following a renaissance periodization diet template trying to regain lost size and weight from illness and it calls for me to have a shake containing 35g carbs and 25g whey protein half during/half post workout but i am already getting in currently 60g carbs in my pre workout meal followed by 110g carbs post workout meal

I don’t know man, it sounds still OK to me.

You can cut down those 35g on carbs after workout if that’ll make you feel better.

I just checked and proteins that I currently drink contain 9.1g of carbs per scoop, 4.5g out of that is sugar…

Anyways my scoop totals at 21g protein, 9g carbs and 2g fat. And 1 scoop is 35g so the rest is probably flavouring.
I usually take bit more than 1 scoop (1.3-1.5) and mix it with 500-600ml of milk or bit more than half of liter.
Milk also contains fair ammount of fat, protein and carbs… so it’s a fair ammount of calories total.

Question is, do you mix your shake with milk or water?

I used to do a Gatorade/Protein shake mix. I should do that again.

it depends on person…if i eat carbs pre, or intra workout i become sluggish, lazy and not motivated…if i go fasted and eat after the training i feel great during and after…but that me, and unlike many on this site i’m fat adapted, so i quickly can get energy from fat stores…again not everyone can do it