T Nation

Interview with Former Olympia Promoter Wayne DeMilia

This is from the same guys (Valuetainment) that did the interview with Dorian Yates, Ronnie Coleman, Dexter Jackson and Shawn Ray:

This is a really interesting interview, DeMilia talks about diuretics and synthol testing among other things in his very colourful career. Thanks to @The_Mighty_Stu for posting that original interview with Dorian Yates.

2 Likes

Good interview and he’s a very good storyteller
…but also strikes me as someone knee-DEEP in the 90s G4pay scene :rofl::rofl::sunglasses:

1 Like

Very cool find! I’m definitely gonna listen to this. I’m sure he’s got some stories to tell, being the top admin during those turbulent times (diuretics, synthol…) and having to deal with keeping the sport with an agreeable public face while handling all the “warts n all” behind the scenes.

S

The first 20 minutes alone should be mandatory viewing for any young person looking to go pro in this sport.

2 Likes

Yeah been listening for the last 45 mins at the moment,… crazy stories from the 90’s with the diuretics etc… So far, one hell of an interview for anyone who followed the sport back then.

S

2 Likes

Wow - I’m in shock.

I really think so.

1 Like

Anyone else lose it at the bit about the camel?

Come on man! Its not like it was a 2 hump camel :wink:

1 Like

I laughed. I’ve been in schools so many times on weekends when just a few custodial staff are just there for a couple extra bucks and don’t wanna deal with much… and imagining the poor folks who had to clean up… :confused:

S

I really appreciated the interview. It allowed me to see Wayne DeMilia from a much better perspective than my first impression.

In 1981 I was in Las Vegas to judge (I was on the panel for the Lightweight, Light-Heavyweight, and the Overall) the 1981 AAU American Bodybuilding Championship (aka AAU Mr. America). The NPC was beginning to break from the AAU to become the pathway to the IFBB circuit. And as a result, make the NPC considerably more profitable. One aspect was that the NPC was very weary sending much of their athlete dues to the AAU. Part of the solution, we were introduced as a group to Wayne DeMilia who was supposed to put Bodybuilding to the front concerning promotions. My initial impression was he was an arrogant, New Yorker. I left Las Vegas with that impression. And I never sought to investigate further.

Thank you again. I can see there is much more to Wayne DeMilia than a promoter for hire.

1 Like

I had heard before that he had his “day job” (AT&T),… but it is interesting to consider how much money the contests used to NOT make before someone who actually was willing to put in the work stepped up and took the reins.

I’m sure the large jump in actual prize money compared to Arnold’s and even Haney’s day is an indicator of the increased cash flow.

S

Yeah, great observation. It makes me wonder what Athleticon will be like, once the plague ends.