T Nation

Interval Training for Aerobic Endurance

I have pre season rugby training in January or near Feb and I have always been extremely unfit.

My program mainly consists of strength exercises like maxing out on squats 3 times a week and power cleaning etc.

My biggest problem is that I can't even go for a 10 minute jog without stopping. It seems more of a muscular endurance problem than a cardio fitness problem.

So I'm wondering if Interval Training or Tabata can help with endurance or help me jog for longer

5/3/1 for athletes or WS4SB v3 or anything else for that matter, would be better the "maxing out on squats 3 times a week....."

That would be step #1.

For rugby, you don't want to go for regular jogs and nothing else. You want to emulate what you are doing on the field.

Run hills, sprints, weighted cardio, etc, anything. Just go out there and get the blood pumping and work out your lungs. At this stage, burpees would be good. 3x a week.

That's not all that far off. Are you going to have mandatory training sessions by then, and if so, what will they look like?

Tabata is absolutely inappropriate for your goal and standard intervals aren't quite there either.

Take a look at either of these for some general conditioning plans:
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/gpp_asap
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/hammer_down_endurance
(Yes, that's mma-specific, but it's working essentially the same physical capacities.)
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_7_conditioning_secrets
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/5_drills_that_are_better_than_the_prowler

For reference, what's your height, weight, and general fat level (happy fat guy, just soft'n'squishy, smooth/average, kinda lean, ripped monster)?

Definitely, yep.

Hey thanks for the links. Looked through them and gonna start. I think im 5 foot 4 or something around there. I weigh 70kg (im gaining weight) and smooth average. 17 yo

And also whats wrong with maxing 3 times a week? I dont always go to 1rm sometimes 5rm. I'v been doing it for months and have gained lots on my squat since. If Broz guys can do it everyday, cant i do it 3 times.

You are training for rugby, not Olympic lifting or powerlifting

Maxing out 3 times a week (especially in the low rep range) is a good way to over train. As a newbie, you can get away with it for awhile because you aren't very strong and your neural system isn't especially adept at doing squats yet. It is beyond retarded. You keep doing that, you are going to get injured and you're lifts will stall and eventually start going backwards...then comes over training. I've done it myself...to a degree, but was smart enough stop. You don't seem to have that quality.

Broz guys? I have no idea what that means or what you are talking about. The word bro is bad enough. I generally disregard anyone who uses it...but adding a z to the end of it brings it to a whole 'nother level. Nobody maxes out on squats everyday. If they did, they wouldn't last long enough to report it to someone else.

Everything about your last post makes me want to go on a murderous rampage. Sit down and listen if you are going to come here and ask for advice (especially since you're young and clearly don't know what you are doing).

You want to get better at jogging? Then go jogging. The best way to get better at something is to do it. Interval training will definitely have a strong carry over, but if you want to run for distance you have to run for distance. If I were training for rugby and I were you, I would do both. I think that intervals are good for rugby (especially with jogging between the intervals) because they make the pace of the game itself.

However, you may have to work up to that as pointed out by someone else in this thread. Also, I agree, Tabata is absolutely inappropriate. I'm also guessing that power cleans aren't appropriate as you don't know how to do them (guessing). This is just an educated guess.

Dude, you're young and you're not fat. Add some of the conditioning drills in those articles a few days a week and you should be sorted out right-quick. This is no big deal at all, as long as you address it soon and correctly.

Kind-of-Side-Note: I'm not super-well-versed on rugby, but aren't you a bit on the small side? No offense intended, Rudy, but you might want to consider adding some dedicated muscle-building work once you hit the pre-season if possible. You might not be able to get taller, but you can always get wider. :wink: (I kid. Sort of.)

In those same months, how has your muscular bodyweight changed, and how has your performance on the field changed? (Those are rhetorical.)
You've always got to keep in mind... "what are my current goals?" When you're on the pitch, it doesn't matter that much if your power clean went from 215 to 225 last week instead of "just" being 205.

Like JFG said, you're not training to be a better powerlifter or Olympic lifter, so copying their style of training so closely isn't appropriate.

It's a little funny how silly you made yourself look with these statements.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/max_out_on_squats_every_day

John Broz is one of the most talked-about current Olympic weighlifting coaches in America.

He's not trying "to get better at jogging."

I do agree with this, to an extent.

If I were paid to train him for rugby, we wouldn't do both, because long distance/long duration jogging is a waste of time for most athletes; it trains energy systems that are unnecessary for the sport; and his issue isn't even a case of poor aerobic endurance, it's of poor general conditioning - and that can be addressed with much more sport-specific methods, as mentioned earlier.

For non-competitive weightlifters, power cleans aren't nearly as complicated as most people think. If someone can learn how to do a safe and effective squat, deadlift, and overhead press, they can learn how to clean.

every olympic weightlifter east of germany is proving you naysayers wrong