T Nation

Intersting Study on Rest Periods

On pub med appeared an article on rest periods.
The same training protocoll was used on experienced trainees with different rest periods.2 minutes and 5 minutes.
The different adaptions on metabolic rate,neuronal adaptions and hypertrophy were analyzed.
Every study can and SHOULD be regarded critical,but its interesting to read-check it out:

My question is, wouldn’t longer rest periods allow us to use greater weight/squeeze out more reps per set? The workout will be significantly longer though…

Interesting study but I don’t see how you can increase the intensity with the longer rest periods and then say that rest times make no difference. You would have to keep the intensity the same to truly tease out the effects of rest alone in a program.

BTW the end result (of the study) is that both methods work and they produce about the same results.

[quote]Tim Henriques wrote:
Interesting study but I don’t see how you can increase the intensity with the longer rest periods and then say that rest times make no difference. You would have to keep the intensity the same to truly tease out the effects of rest alone in a program.

BTW the end result (of the study) is that both methods work and they produce about the same results.[/quote]

This is another example of why, unless I was there to observe what the hell they were doing, I am skeptical of how meaningful these kinds of studies are. In addition to this observation, how in the name of all that’s ever been experienced by anybody even remotely aware of what they were doing, can they conclude no difference in the strength of isometric contractions between the 2 protocols? Unless it took them long enough from the end of the sets to the tests to effectively render the conclusions meaningless. It makes you wonder about the definition of every parameter in the study.