T Nation

Interpreting Blood Tests 25 y/o

Hey,

my doc says according to my tests everything is alright and things are just “in my head”. I am 25 y/o with ED, can sometimes get it up but most of the time it doesn’t like to stay up or doesn’t get very hard, also not “in the mood” a lot. I train 3 times a week but can hardly put any muscles on, if I stop training for a week - two I easily put weight on.

First Test the doc only ran the tests below and said everything looks normal according to him… :

T: 411 ng/dl (range 350 - 950),
Free Androgen Index 29,7 (45-75)
SHGB 48,0 nmol/k (15-48)

Ran a second testing at a hospital while on holiday in Asia just now, results from hospital are looking a lot better but symptoms are still the same.

T: 588.0 ng/dl (249-836 ng/dl)
FT: 10.70 ng/dl, 1.80% (5.71 - 17.84 ng/dl, 1.53-2.88%)
Bio T: 268 ng/dl (125.65 - 412.10 ng/dl)

E2 32.3 pg/mL (25.8 - 60.7 pg/mL)

SHGB 41.25 (18.3 - 54.1 nmol/L)
Albumin 4.58 (3.4 - 4.8)

FSH 3.6 (1.5 - 12.4)
LH 8,45 (1,7 - 8.6)

Do those values seem normal? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Edit:

All tests done at 9am, method not stated anywhere on the results.

-height: 181cm
-waist: not sure right now
-weight: 70.8 kg

-describe body and facial hair:
arms and legs are pretty normal, on the back and middle chest pertty much no hair, at the chest it’s kinda spotty. Facial hair is normal at the chin / neck area, hardly any grows at on the cheeks.

-describe where you carry fat and how changed
From childhood on carrying it on the stomach and upper legs (my lower legs and arms have close to none at all), can hardly get rid of it at all.

-health conditions, symptoms [history]
As child used to have pain in the testes a lot, had lots of tests done as a child but doctors never found anything

-Rx and OTC drugs, any hair loss drugs or prostate drugs ever
Only drug I used to be on is tramadol for my migraines that I used to have frequently, these days none.

-describe diet [some create substantial damage with starvation diets]
Pretty balanced diet

-testes ache, ever, with a fever?
As written above, as a child a lot, these days no pain anymore

-how have morning wood and nocturnal erections changed
Morning wood and nocturnal erections mostly disappeared around age 17/18, happen sometimes but very very rarely

There are people on this forum much smarter than me. With that said I am a chemist by trade and learning to apply that knowledge to hormones. To start with, were these tests all completed in the early AM? Secondly on the TT and FT does the test results state the method? I am hoping for LC/MS/MS or something like that as it has the greatest analytical accuracy. Other than that your SHGB is high and your E2 is slightly on the high side as a ratio. There are a lot of tests missing here to be able to draw any conclusions. The trouble with partial information is that it generates more questions than answers. If you read the stickies you will see a standard form you fill out and what blood work is needed. For example from the information you provided you may have a thyroid problem. Or you may be taking a medication you did not mention that causes increases in prolactin. There are a lot of potential causes for the symptoms list, but no firm conclusion on causation from the data provided. Please read the stickies posted below and I am sure a knowledgeable member would enjoy helping you.

Advise For New Guys

https://forums.t-nation.com/t/advice-for-new-guys/160624

Thanks for the answer and advice grungephreak, I’ve edited the thread above with the questionnaire, I didn’t run any Thyroid Test just now but had it checked very recently and everything was normal in that regard.

The tests were all done at 9am, so early morning yes. The method isn’t stated anywhere for the TT and FT in the test results.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

First labs have very high SHBG which lowers FT and Free Androgen Index indicates the same.
Result is a lot of T_SHBG that is not bio-available which inflates TT. TT=411 is not indicating how low your T status really was.

Were you or had you been on any medications? Some things interfere with E2 clearance, increasing E2 and that increases E2 levels.

Also need AST/ALT tested for liver status.

Second labs have high LH which improved bio_T and TT.
FT is released in pulses with a short half life, so its only a snap shot.
Often FSH is a better indicator of LH status than LH itself.
E2 is a but high, relative to optimal.
SHBG is still high,

Can you get prolacin tested?

See if the stickies suggest anything.