Interpretation of Results

Hi guys,

Never posted on here, but read through periodically and know there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here, that could perhaps give some opinion on my hormone panel results.

I’m 37, 6ft tall, strength training 3 times a week. Decent amount of muscle, although that is subjective of course. About 215 lbs in weight. Could lose some abdominal fat.

I supplement with Boron, Zinc, Taurine, Maca Root, and all the usual good stuff like Vitamin D, transdermal magnesium etc.

Results below.

You will see my sex hormone binding globulin is increased and Free Testosterone is low.

Many thanks guys.

D.H.E.A. SULPHATE 9.28umol/L (0.44 - 13.40)

FOLLICLE STIM. HORMONE 4.54 IU/L (1.50 - 12.40)

LUTEINISING HORMONE 3.2 IU/L (1.70 - 8.60)

TESTOSTERONE 18.1 nmol/L (7.60 - 31.40)

FREE-TESTOSTERONE(CALCULATED) 0.231 nmol/L (0.30 - 1.00)

SEX HORMONE BINDING GLOB 68.10 nmol/L (16.00 - 55.00)

FREE ANDROGEN INDEX 26.58 Ratio (24.00 - 104.00 )

17-BETA OESTRADIOL 32.7 pmol/L (0.00 - 191.99)

Very high shbg!!!

Your TT is actually being inflated by high SHBG, TT is actually significantly lower. Most doctors don’t understand. If your SHBG was lower your TT would be much lower and your FT higher.

List of medications? Past or present… Drinker/Drugs?

Supplements are not a source of iodine and iodized salt not in most shops there so most there are iodine deficient. Please eval your overall thyroid function using oral body temperatures - see below.

Transdermal magnesium sounds bogus. The amounts needed in oral dosing is rather huge and transdermal seems minor. See the ‘ZMA’ product in this site’s Biotest store for reference.

E2 is low from low FT–>E2 caused by low FT.
As others point out high SHBG creates a lot of non-bioavailable SHBG+T that inflates TT and TT then overstates your T status.

SHBG is made in the liver to scavenge sex hormones. Higher E2 promotes that but E2 is low. So we have to consider that there might be a liver problem causing this. But we sometimes see explainable high or low levels.

If you have other lab results, we need to see them. Do not avoid because they are normal.

Both thyroid and T problems can drive fat gain and thyroid can be a heavy hitter. Guys who have low natural energy from low T and low thyroid function have Adrenalin fueled workouts that can damage adrenals, leading to elevated rT3 that blocks fT3 as well as high cortisol that then can fall with adrenal fatigue. That is a deep bucket of shit.

I would call your labs mixed primary/secondary hypogonadism with strong primary.

Do your testes ache or are smaller now?
When did these problems start?
Preceded by a blow to the head?

Is stress a big factor in your life?

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category - #2 by KSman

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

KSman is simply a regular member on this site. Nothing more other than highly active.

I can be a bit abrupt in my replies and recommendations. I have a lot of ground to cover as this forum has become much more active in the last two years. I can’t follow threads that go deep over time. You need to respond to all of my points and requests as soon as possible before you fall off of my radar. The worse problems are guys who ignore issues re thyroid, body temperatures, history of iodized salt. Please do not piss people off saying that lab results are normal, we need lab number and ranges.

The value that you get out of this process and forum depends on your effort and performance. The bulk of your learning is reading/studying the suggested stickies.

Sorry KSman I missed one of your questions…

I don’t really get stressed so much, but I am mentally always on the go, I have a long history of poor sleep as well. I’m really trying to address that this year however.

I used to supplement potassium (Lugols) Iodine, but haven’t for some time.

PS: My original reply hasn’t appeared yet as it said it is gone for moderation. So hopefully it appears soon…

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for taking the time out to reply.

I actually talk often to a hormone expert. That being Professor Edward Friedman, based in Chicago. He wrote a groundbreaking book relating Low T to prostate Cancer, Breast Cancer and Alzheimer’s.

Anyhow, Ed just replied and said my Free T and E2 are dangerously low, and my overall T is low also.

I only drink in moderation at the weekend, and I have never ran a course of steroids.

I am awake late at night most weekends as I am a touring club DJ for a living.

KSman,

No my testes do not ache and they are not smaller.

I actually don’t feel that bad to be honest. I only did these test results because my Dad has prostate cancer, and I’ve come to understand the importance of keepings ones hormone levels optimised after speaking with Ed over the years. But maybe, I’ve just slowly got used to feeling like this, and could clearly be feeling much much better with a healthier hormone profile.

I did get a blow to the head which knocked me unconscious back in July 2014.
I am aware of the implications. I follow the work of Dr Mark Gordon.

My only other hormone result was back in November 2015, and that was just to test Total T, and back then it was even lower than it is now. It came back at 15.0 nmol/L.

Thanks guys, I’m going to get my Liver and Thyroid tested, and also schedule a consultation with an endocrinologist

Unfortunately, here in the UK, the status quo is one of sheer ignorance towards hormone balancing.

Again lads, thank you very much.

So iodine is the only medication that you take or have ever taken?

Hi. Yes, I’ve never been on any medications. I only supplemented potassium iodine as I am aware the western diet is very much deficient in it. Barring those who eat a lot of seaweed.

Liver detox could potentially help with your High SHBG issues.

My liver function and thyroid came back within range and normal.

A repeat of my SHBG and TT improved also.

SHGB was 50 and TT was 24.

So need to repeat tests again, as to see which way the fluctuation may have been.

We don’t put much stock in comments “within normal range” or normal here because most doctors have no idea what normal is as these ranges are meaningless statistical measurements of everyone grouped together as a whole.