Internet Sales Tax

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
It’s just a money grab. Sales taxes pay for the costs a local business imposes on the community (e.g., police protection, fire protection, whatever). The only thing an internet provider imposes is delivery — which is paid by UPS, FedEx, etc.

This is just theft, because, well they can do it.

The more power you let the government have, the more they will abuse it.

The Democrats and the Establishment Republicans are both disgusting.[/quote]

Sheesh, I know…I just hate all these roads to drive on, and schools to indocrtinate…oops I mean “educate” our children, and police to go catch bad guys…

Everyone should just altruistically donate to these organizations, that way there can be NO TAXES AT ALL!!![/quote]

Fricking Liberal , you mean you think you have to pay for the shit you get ? sheeesh
[/quote]

I was indoctrinated to think it was normal

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:
It’s just a money grab. Sales taxes pay for the costs a local business imposes on the community (e.g., police protection, fire protection, whatever). The only thing an internet provider imposes is delivery — which is paid by UPS, FedEx, etc.

Sheesh, I know…I just hate all these roads to drive on, and schools to indocrtinate…oops I mean “educate” our children, and police to go catch bad guys…

Everyone should just altruistically donate to these organizations, that way there can be NO TAXES AT ALL!!![/quote]

Fricking Liberal , you mean you think you have to pay for the shit you get ? sheeesh
[/quote]

[/quote]

:slight_smile:

The problem with this is the onus of the collection and remittance of said taxes falls upon the seller. Now assume you are a single mom who attempts to make ends meet by creating and selling custom knitted or embroidered baby clothes on a small internet page someone helped you set up. With this new law, you now have to take into account where you customer resides in order to collect state and local taxes and then submit them to the proper tax collecting agency. A lot of very small internet businesses are not very sophisticated. Sure Amazon.com and BlindsRUs.com can handle this with the expenditure on new accounting software; they can afford it.

What about the single mom, small internet entrepreneur?

It is the Walmarts of the world that are pushing this tax through congress. They further kill smaller competition and gain market share.

[quote]JEATON wrote:

[/quote]

Did you actually read the article before offering your opinion on it Jerry?

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]JEATON wrote:

[/quote]

Did you actually read the article before offering your opinion on it Jerry?[/quote]

Actually, only the first half. I do see where the cutoff is $1 million in sales, and that states would be required to provide free software.

I also know that a huge percentage of small entrepreneurs do use sites such as Ebay to sell their wares. As such, they would not be exempt from the law.

I do also know that Walmart has been strongly behind the push for such a tax, so forgive me if I am a little suspicious of motives and outcomes.

But I am thankful that I have such a strong and smart feller to keep me honest. 560lb squat was it?

I have no idea why you are trying to make this personal when I only was referring to your lack of ability or desire to read, as I was not sure what the case may be when I opined, before offering your opinion.

So what’s your squat at?

I’m also how you are getting that people who sell on ebay would not be exempt, if they are under the $1M threshhold?

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think it is reasonable enough to ask a state pick either sales or income tax and not both though…

(That really has nothing to do with the thread, I know.)

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
I have no idea why you are trying to make this personal when I only was referring to your lack of ability or desire to read, as I was not sure what the case may be when I opined, before offering your opinion.

So what’s your squat at?

I’m also how you are getting that people who sell on ebay would not be exempt, if they are under the $1M threshhold?[/quote]

Did not occur to me that you were simply being a nice guy, with the veiled inference that you know my name and all. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

As for my squat, with my Iliotibial band issues I am not able to go as high as you apparently can. I will occasionally end my squats with sets of 535lbs x 3, but these sets are regretfully fewer with time. (as you pointed out, I am 46 yrs old) I do not max out on squats. I did get a raw bench of 365 lbs last week, which after two pec tears and lots of shoulder injuries make me quite happy.

It is my understanding that those who sale their wares on Ebay are subject to the sales tax, regardless of total sales volume, as Ebay acts as an agent of sorts. As I am not personally affected by the outcome I have not dissected the facts. If I am wrong, I apologize.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think it is reasonable enough to ask a state pick either sales or income tax and not both though…

(That really has nothing to do with the thread, I know.) [/quote]

Sure it would certainly cut down on compliance costs…I’m sure they have their reasons for implementing both…

Edit: Probably because no governor wants to be known for running the state has a 12% income tax or sales tax!

A side anecdote, I grew up in SWVA where the closest ‘bit city’ (meaning place that had a mall) was in NETN. NETN doesn’t have an income tax, or it is really low, and their sales tax is really fucking high. It was like 8.5% when I was a kid, I have no idea what it is is now. But VA had a pretty high income tax. So us who were on the border and nowhere to shop always had to go over there and get our wares and contribute to their shitty 40th ranked education. Terrible.

[quote]JEATON wrote:

Did not occur to me that you were simply being a nice guy, with the veiled inference that you know my name and all. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

As for my squat, with my Iliotibial band issues I am not able to go as high as you apparently can. I will occasionally end my squats with sets of 535lbs x 3, but these sets are regretfully fewer with time. (as you pointed out, I am 46 yrs old) I do not max out on squats. I did get a raw bench of 365 lbs last week, which after two pec tears and lots of shoulder injuries make me quite happy.[/quote]

Those IT bands can be a real bitch, especially wen they start pulling on the spine. I’ve got a couple herniated discs myself and am awaiting surgery so my squat isn’t quite what I am capable of right now. Hoping to get it back up to snuff soon though.

[quote]
It is my understanding that those who sale their wares on Ebay are subject to the sales tax, regardless of total sales volume, as Ebay acts as an agent of sorts. As I am not personally affected by the outcome I have not dissected the facts. If I am wrong, I apologize. [/quote]

That wasn’t my interpretation of it. I took the $1M at face value, regardless of the conduit used to transport it. Like you, it doesn’t effect me one iota though so I could be wrong as well.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

Everyone should just altruistically donate to these organizations, that way there can be NO TAXES AT ALL!!![/quote]I find it impossible to restrain myself from bringing attention to the truly medal winning manner in which you have missed Jewbacca’s point. Which was that state sales taxes at least afford themselves plausible justification in some measure by principles entirely absent from an online marketplace thereby exposing taxation of the latter for what it is in truth. Raw, tyrannical legalized robbery, which is the inevitable path once a certain level of magisterial power is tolerated among the populace.
I will be regrettably unable to provide my services as interpreter of smart people for you on an ongoing basis free of charge. I have very affordable plans tailored just for guys like you that can still be secured online tax free for the moment. Sign up now and save.

Raw tyrannical legalized robbery? Magisterial power? Holy shit man…talk about missing the point…I’ve gotta read some Ayn Rand sometime to really see where you nutjobs are coming from. Speaking of “indoctrination”…

So what’s the solution if every business in the world suddenly started conducting business online and there are no sales taxes? We don’t have roads? We don’t have schools? The pont is sales taxes pay for all those things that we all love and enjoy…it is not a tyrannical money grab. The infrastructure was created with a certain expectation of REVENUE coming in, and part of that equation was citizens who are using those “luxuries” contributed a certain portion of it it via taxes, including sales tax.

Since all those citizens are dirty rotten tax cheats and looking for ways to avoid paying for these items, they are now putting the onus on the businesses to collect it and send it back to where its belongs.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

A sales tax is a tax on the business, because, as you note businesses use and enjoy the services of the state where they are physically located.

Out-of-state businesses (say Texas) do not use in-state (say California) roads, schools, etc.

To force them to pay taxes for roads and schools in another state is absurd.

Just because a product is put out in the “stream of commerce” and it ends up in another state does not give the destination state the right to tax it. Such has been the law of the USA since before the USA was the USA and is probably prohibited by Article I, Section 10 of the US Constitution.

Previous attempts at this were found unconstitutional for the above reason.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
.I’ve gotta read some Ayn Rand sometime
[/quote]

I have read Atlas shrugged and I do not derive the same messages the " CJS "does

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

Since all those citizens are dirty rotten tax cheats and looking for ways to avoid paying for these items, they are now putting the onus on the businesses to collect it and send it back to where its belongs.

[/quote]

Sales tax has always burdened the Seller, not the Buyer.

If a Seller fails to get it, it pays it, not the other way around.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[/quote]

Sales tax has always burdened the Seller, not the Buyer.

If a Seller fails to get it, it pays it, not the other way around.[/quote]

I have had sales tax privilege License (LOL) and they are a burden , but taxes just like Government are a necessary evil. I will agree that shrinking Government , especially in areas that do no good and fuel the fire of waste would be the first to go (Prison Industrial, War Industrial, and the War on drugs )

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
Raw tyrannical legalized robbery? Magisterial power? Holy shit man…talk about missing the point…I’ve gotta read some Ayn Rand sometime to really see where you nutjobs are coming from. Speaking of “indoctrination”…

So what’s the solution if every business in the world suddenly started conducting business online and there are no sales taxes? We don’t have roads? We don’t have schools? The pont is sales taxes pay for all those things that we all love and enjoy…it is not a tyrannical money grab. The infrastructure was created with a certain expectation of REVENUE coming in, and part of that equation was citizens who are using those “luxuries” contributed a certain portion of it it via taxes, including sales tax.

[/quote]

Be careful not to fall in the “its either statism or nihilism” thought pattern. There is always another option. I just believe that at this time, with the condition of our economy, we cannot afford to put any more “governmental drag” on commerce.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

A sales tax is a tax on the business, because, as you note businesses use and enjoy the services of the state where they are physically located.

Out-of-state businesses (say Texas) do not use in-state (say California) roads, schools, etc.

To force them to pay taxes for roads and schools in another state is absurd.

Just because a product is put out in the “stream of commerce” and it ends up in another state does not give the destination state the right to tax it. Such has been the law of the USA since before the USA was the USA and is probably prohibited by Article I, Section 10 of the US Constitution.

Previous attempts at this were found unconstitutional for the above reason.[/quote]

Very well said. I tried to explain this to a co-worker today, but was unable to state it this simply and to the point. Forgive me if I plagiarize for future use.

[quote]JEATON wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[/quote]

Be careful not to fall in the “its either statism or nihilism” thought pattern. There is always another option. I just believe that at this time, with the condition of our economy, we cannot afford to put any more “governmental drag” on commerce. [/quote]

But it is the government that creates commerce.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]JEATON wrote:

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:

[/quote]

Be careful not to fall in the “its either statism or nihilism” thought pattern. There is always another option. I just believe that at this time, with the condition of our economy, we cannot afford to put any more “governmental drag” on commerce. [/quote]

But it is the government that creates commerce.[/quote]

The word “commerce” does seem to lend itself more to the large scale economic dealings, especially between states and countries. Maybe “small business growth and development” would have been more appropriate.