T Nation

Internet Junkies

http://screen.yahoo.com/new-york-times/china-39-junkies-124730949.html

While this particular doc seems to focus mainly on teenage gamers, as an educator, I constantly find myself in discussions over the lack of everyday social skills that most of us would regard as normal.

I’ve heard stories of people being so obsessed with their online personas (via games as well as other online avenues) that their friendships, marriages, even careers suffer.

Thoughts?

S

I think some of it has to do with parents.

When I was a kid, sometimes my dad would out of the blue tell me I needed to go outside and play, regardless of whether or not there was anything to do outside.

I’ve seen other people that have grown up “normal”, that still don’t have decent social skills.

I guess it depends on how you define social skills.

Personally I really want to abandon my facebook account but can’t because I travel regularly & have to keep some kind of medium for contacting friends.
A good % of people take the social media thing too far at the expense of real socializing.

I think If you tend to have an obsessive/addictive personality you’ll abuse what ever it is you’re addicted too. It might be heroin, it might be the gym, and it might be World of Warcraft. The rest of us can do these things (probably not heroin) while also being “normal” in other areas.

Lol, and yes, I’ve met a person that got divorced over a computer game.

[quote]B A S T A R D wrote:
Personally I really want to abandon my facebook account but can’t because I travel regularly & have to keep some kind of medium for contacting friends.
A good % of people take the social media thing too far at the expense of real socializing.
[/quote]

Don’t you have a phone?

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
I think If you tend to have an obsessive/addictive personality you’ll abuse what ever it is you’re addicted too. It might be heroin, it might be the gym, and it might be World of Warcraft. The rest of us can do these things (probably not heroin) while also being “normal” in other areas.

Lol, and yes, I’ve met a person that got divorced over a computer game. [/quote]

What game was it?

Glad I don’t live in China, but I see the problem . I knew a couple who almost got divorced over WOW. And I worked with a guy a few years back who spent every minute of his free time playing WOW. I actually delete my Facebook a few weeks ago and I don’t miss it at all I spent way to much time on it and for the most part it was a complete waste.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Lol, and yes, I’ve met a person that got divorced over a computer game. [/quote]

What game was it?[/quote]

I want to say it was Everquest, but I can’t remember.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

I want to say it was Everquest, but I can’t remember. [/quote]

On-Line Gamer’s Anonymous(OLGA) was founded by the mother of a young man who took his own life because of EverQuest (at least that is how the mother feels). It is supposed to be one of the most addicting games out there.

I think for those that do not have a foot firmly placed in the realm of reality, online gaming and social media sites are dangerous. I have a facebook but honestly cannot tell you the last time I used it. I play online games (when I have some free time) but I also spend most of my time at work, at the gym, or with friends. I do have friends that will forgo an active lifestyle to sit at home on their computer/insert name of gaming system here.

I think that one’s online presence should be treated as a supplement. Do you need it? Probably not. Will it add some value? For some it will. Is it dangerous if abused? Most likely. Will it get into your head and eventually have you addicted to it? Most likely.

[quote]GrizzlyBerg wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

I want to say it was Everquest, but I can’t remember. [/quote]

On-Line Gamer’s Anonymous(OLGA) was founded by the mother of a young man who took his own life because of EverQuest (at least that is how the mother feels). It is supposed to be one of the most addicting games out there.

I think for those that do not have a foot firmly placed in the realm of reality, online gaming and social media sites are dangerous. I have a facebook but honestly cannot tell you the last time I used it. I play online games (when I have some free time) but I also spend most of my time at work, at the gym, or with friends. I do have friends that will forgo an active lifestyle to sit at home on their computer/insert name of gaming system here.

I think that one’s online presence should be treated as a supplement. Do you need it? Probably not. Will it add some value? For some it will. Is it dangerous if abused? Most likely. Will it get into your head and eventually have you addicted to it? Most likely.[/quote]

Definitely agree with you.

What drives me crazy is people that ALWAYS have to check-in when they go someplace or check their Twitter Feed or whatever the fuck people check…WHO THE FUCK CARES what is happening!!! Are you out to dinner with me and if so can you devote your attention to me rather than CHECKING TWITTER, ETC??? Are you in charge of the world? Is there some reason you need to keep tabs on things? Are the Twitterers waiting to hear back from you before they make their next really important move???

How about when I step out of the car for 3-5 minutes to fill up the gas tank? Can you sit quietly and possibly think about what we were talking about/doing before I stepped out to fill up the gas tank and what we’ll talk about/do when I get back in the car from filling up the tank, or MUST YOU check Twitter/Whateverelsethefuck you do on your phone 24/7!?!?!

Whatever fucking happened to quiet contemplation?!?!?

Dios fucking mi !

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

Don’t you have a phone?[/quote]

Yes but my friends are scattered all over the world, so it would cost a lot to call em.

[quote]sen say wrote:
What drives me crazy is people that ALWAYS have to check-in when they go someplace or check their Twitter Feed or whatever the fuck people check…WHO THE FUCK CARES what is happening!!! Are you out to dinner with me and if so can you devote your attention to me rather than CHECKING TWITTER, ETC??? Are you in charge of the world? Is there some reason you need to keep tabs on things? Are the Twitterers waiting to hear back from you before they make their next really important move???

How about when I step out of the car for 3-5 minutes to fill up the gas tank? Can you sit quietly and possibly think about what we were talking about/doing before I stepped out to fill up the gas tank and what we’ll talk about/do when I get back in the car from filling up the tank, or MUST YOU check Twitter/Whateverelsethefuck you do on your phone 24/7!?!?!

Dios fucking mi ![/quote]

Well said, I was one of those people.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

Don’t you have a phone?[/quote]

Yes but my friends are scattered all over the world, so it would cost a lot to call em.[/quote]

Makes sense.

[quote]bdocksaints75 wrote:

[quote]sen say wrote:

Well said, I was one of those people.[/quote]

That shit drives me crazy. It’s disrespectful in my opinion.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]sen say wrote:

That shit drives me crazy. It’s disrespectful in my opinion. [/quote]

Yeah, I agree with that. I try never to do it when I’m out with people but it always seems that everyone will be on their phones updating checking stuff out or whatever.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]sen say wrote:

Yeah, I agree with that. I try never to do it when I’m out with people but it always seems that everyone will be on their phones updating checking stuff out or whatever.
[/quote]

It’s our generation. In short, we kind of suck…

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]sen say wrote:

[/quote]

Next time you are at an airport look around and count how many people aren’t staring at a piece of technology. About a month ago I would say there were a few hundred people sitting near my terminal. I could count who wasn’t using technology on 1 hand (wasn’t counting people walking although many of them were on phones too).

edit: Extra points for those who are actually reading a physical book and not some e-book bullshit.

[quote]GrizzlyBerg wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]sen say wrote:

[/quote]

Next time you are at an airport look around and count how many people aren’t staring at a piece of technology. About a month ago I would say there were a few hundred people sitting near my terminal. I could count who wasn’t using technology on 1 hand (wasn’t counting people walking although many of them were on phones too).

edit: Extra points for those who are actually reading a physical book and not some e-book bullshit.[/quote]
I’ve done something similar where I count how many people will actually make eye contact, that and so many people are so buried in their phones and ipads you can pretty much watch what they are doing and they don’t even know.

I gotta admit I’m pretty far behind on techno-gadgets but I do like special interest forums like this.

I have seen a lot of change in some kids though. It’s like they never learned the rules of the sandbox.