Internet Explorer Removal?

Does anyone know how to take Internet explorer off a windows computer? I don’t use it as my browser anymore, but for some reason it is always up and running in my Windows Task Manager window under the processes tab and draining off my memory. Thanks.

[quote]JohnnyChainsaw wrote:
Does anyone know how to take Internet explorer off a windows computer? I don’t use it as my browser anymore, but for some reason it is always up and running in my Windows Task Manager window under the processes tab and draining off my memory. Thanks.[/quote]

What version of Windows? What’s the name of the process?

and there it will always be… watching you johnny… watching you…

Does anyone know how to take Internet explorer off a windows computer? I don’t use it as my browser anymore, but for some reason it is always up and running in my Windows Task Manager window under the processes tab and draining off my memory. Thanks.[/quote]

You are probably talking about explorer.exe, this runs your desktop and file system. iexplorer.exe is Internet Explorer. If you Google the Microsoft trial, you will find it is basically impossible to get rid IE. This was the basis for their defense in the trial, that it is totally written into Windows and it can’t be removed.

I use firefox, but find I need to keep IE because there are some webpages that won’t work in firefox.

Are you sure it’s Internet Explorer that you see in your Task List? Explorer.exe is Windows Explorer, and that should always be there. Internet Explorer is iexplore.exe and should only be running when you launch it. If it is iexplore.exe, then you may have spyware that is forcing it to run. If you don’t already have one, I suggest you get a good antispyware program and scan your machine.

While you can’t remove Internet Explorer (according to Microsoft it’s an integral part of Windows), you can prevent it from loading. Go to Add/Remove Programs and click Set Program Access and Defaults. Click Custom, then be sure to uncheck Internet Explorer’s “Enable access to this program”.

Yeah…I use fire fox to. However, it is nice to have IE just because I can’t get the search feature on this site to work with firefox.

I’m sure that it is internet explorer. The process is iexplorer.exe I’ll try turning it off through the Set Applications menu. Thanks.

See that little bar at the top of the page that says it just blocked a pop-up whenver you hit search. That’s a clue that you need to enable pop-ups for T-Nation.com if you want search to work.

[quote]popilek wrote:
Yeah…I use fire fox to. However, it is nice to have IE just because I can’t get the search feature on this site to work with firefox.[/quote]

Lower right hand corner will have an X in it when it blocks pop-ups on a site. The search feature will not work on here because a new window opens asking you to search the site or members. Allow pop-ups on T-Nation and you will be good to go with Firefox.

Ok, trying to turn it off through the Add/Remove programs thing didn’t work. I"m using XP. No matter how many times I click on end process iexplorer.exe pops back up and uses 39000+ k of memory.

Ok, trying to turn it off through the Add/Remove programs thing didn’t work. I"m using XP. No matter how many times I click on end process iexplorer.exe pops back up and uses 39000+ k of memory.[/quote]

That’s abnormal. You’re probably infected with spyware or a trojan of some kind.

You should get and run MS Anti-Spyware or Spybot Search & Destroy / AdAware… the usual recommendations. SysInternals’ Autoruns can also be of great use to remove stuff from starting automatically at start; but you should know what you’re doing.

Ultimately, for “deep” infections, the best way to clean the PC is to boot from a CD and clean the system while you’re certain that no crapware is running. Something like ERD from SysInternals or BartPE (free) will do. Here again, a good knowledge of how Windows boots is essential.

If you’ve got no important data, or actually have a backup of it (and it’s been my experience that users never have backups), the simplest way is of course the old reformat-reinstall routine.

Is the problem that the program always runs when you boot up your comp? Have you tried going ‘Run’ then typing in msconfig? This will give you a list of programs that run at start up, and you should be able to turn the ones you don’t want off.

I do have Search&destroy, I run it and it says there are two infections that it can’t remove. I’ll try booting from a disk I guess. Yes, I have done the msconfig thing. Thanks guys.

Run your spyware stuff while the computer is booted in safe mode. Try Adaware, Spybot, and the Microsoft Antispyware beta. All three in safe mode should get rid of whatever you can’t get rid of now.

As for completely removing IE, I think this is a bad idea. If you’re worried about problems caused by surfing with IE, then just adjust your security settings in IE accordingly or just stop using it.

You cannot do it. My suggestion to you would be to install Linux and get away from the M$ Empire.

If you want to see a real provider of spyware. Load XP and don’t go to any other site except Windows Update. Fully update your PC and then run a spyware program. The results are enlightening.

If you reload you machine, use Nlite to remove IE from the install. It will never be installed.

http://www.nliteos.com/nlite.html

It’s real easy to use, but you sort have to be a geek to understand what’s going on.

If you don’t know how to make a bootable disk from an ISO, then show this URL to a geek you may know and bring the install disk and a CD-R. You should be able to make a IE free boot disk in 15mins or so.

BTW, there are ways to get around the windows update problem, I forget the name of the software, but if you google it you should be able to find it.

[quote]CEZAR wrote:

BTW, there are ways to get around the windows update problem, I forget the name of the software, but if you google it you should be able to find it. [/quote]

Of all the great info on this thread. I must say this sentence is by far the most enlightening.