Intermittent Fasting

Hello Coward,
I’m befriending you as I write this.

I’m currently adding quality mass with an IF-modified AD.

As far as macronutrient breakdown,what does yours look like?

Mine, obviously, is 60-30-10 (F-P-C) with fat and carbs flipped saturday and sunday. I’m in the 3500-4000 Cal range.

[quote]Anonymous Coward wrote:
tom8658 wrote:
IF is something I considered trying, but I think first I’m going to try a plain 24 hour fast and see how that feels. I’ve never been an entire day without food, and I want to know what it’s like. After reading Pimpbot’s thread (I forget the name) it sounds like something worth trying once.

Keep in mind that going the whole day without fasting is way more than 24 hours. When you wake up, you’ve already gone ~10 hours without eating, and at the end of the day that’s another ~10 hours before breakfast, so if you don’t eat at all during the day, that’s at least 36 hours of fasting, not 24. Going breakfast to breakfast or lunch to lunch is more of a 24 hour fast.
[/quote]

Good point. I was actually planning on fasting from 5pm day 1 until 8am day 3, so in reality that’s ~40 hours.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Tell a starving person that you’re fasting for whatever retarded reason, and they’ll smack you in the face.

I personally feel like crap if I go a day without eating enough food, let alone fasting.[/quote]

And if I knew any starving people, this might be relevant.

A lot of people (all practicing Muslims and some Hindus and Christians, for example) fast for spiritual reasons, and many spiritual traditions are based on practical considerations from the depths of time. I want to know what it’s like, so I’m going to do it. Don’t be so quick to judge.

/hijack

I’ll stop cluttering up your IF thread with talk about real fasting :slight_smile:

Interesting thread. If your advice on IF is as good as your point in the “Single or Taken” thread, maybe this is worth a shot :).

G87, is that aimed at me?

Yep.

[quote]CutestPuppy wrote:
Hello Coward,
I’m befriending you as I write this.

I’m currently adding quality mass with an IF-modified AD.

As far as macronutrient breakdown,what does yours look like?

Mine, obviously, is 60-30-10 (F-P-C) with fat and carbs flipped saturday and sunday. I’m in the 3500-4000 Cal range. [/quote]

When times are good, I’m pretty much the same, with Cals closer to 3000 on non-training days and between 3500-4500 on training days, depending on the day. Lately, though, things haven’t been good. I’ve been traveling, and my workout is too often a bunch of bodyweight drills in a hotel room, so I’ve lowered the Cals significantly. I figure no amount of push-ups will turn 4000 Cals/day into muscle, so I’ll aim for slightly below maintenance. My carbs are also up and fat probably down, as food choices are limited when I’m on the road and money is an issue, but I’d say I’m still probably in keto range, so I’m happy with it.

It’s probably been 3 years since I first tried the AD, and I’ve stayed low-carb pretty consistently since then, so I tend to be able to vary my carbs pretty widely without going through the transition like I did the first time. I think IF probably helps with this, too, by increasing insulin sensitivity. That’s a sort of bonus of being into IF. If the only place to eat is McDonald’s, I can quite comfortably wait until I’m in range of a sit down restaurant, where at least the meat is meat and it comes with a salad. Or, if I’m planning ahead, I can eat my day’s worth of food before putting myself in a situation where there’s nothing healthy to eat. All in all, I’d say it makes my life easier.

[quote]G87 wrote:
Yep.[/quote]

I reread it. I am not nearly as bad as my boy who only likes 'em WHEN they’re taken. Sick fuck. Glad he’s on my team

[quote]
All in all, I’d say it makes my life easier.[/quote]

Agreed. Do you also find that it makes life…hornier? Without exception - about 14 hrs into a fast, i feel a bit devilish. Wanted to ask an IF’er that question but marksdailyapple.com didn’t seem like the place

[quote]steezy wrote:
can you give a breakdown of how you handle a week with IF? assuming you’re already low-carb - calories each day before/after the fast, workout choice, etc?

or is it not that planned, just, “Hey i think I’m not going to eat today”?

[/quote]

nah the only logical way to do it is planned.

And there isn’t necessarily any advantage vs. normal eating, but it hasn’t been shown conclusively either way

To appreciate the concept you have to have appreciation for end of day refeeds and a number of other concepts that may seem foreign to many

Here is a layout of a basic week as provided by Work, a very qualified pro bodybuilder and trainer, form another forum:

day 1: eat protein and veggies. Calorie constraints and your goals depend on how much. for some this could be a protein sparing modified fast with just protein, EFAs, and veggies. For others it could be much more kcal from carbs and fats, but still a deficit. LOTS of protein, slow digesting, in the last meal.

day 2: wake up, so 8-10 hrs. Fast until 16 hrs or so. There is a reason for this. If you go too long all your protein from day 1’s meal is digested and at some point bad stuff happens including catabolism. That’s why you really want a big protein meal before sleeping. The 16 hrs has no real effect on your muscles and there’s a ton of literature regarding this

pre- workout (some skip this meal but w/e): have only protein and carbs

train and follow up training with another 3-4 hours of carb and protein eating with low fat intake.

1.5-3g carbs/lb of lean body mass total.

Overall on the day you shouldn’t be going more than 25% above maintenance for most.

day 3: same as day 1

day 4: same as day 2

day 5: day 1

day 6: day 2

day 7: off day

steady state cardio of low to moderate intensity can be performed after the workouts to burn fat after the high intensity workout mobilizes the FFAs

low intensity steady state can be performed on the 3 off days as well

a number of people have reported very good body recomposition results using protocols similar to this. I can dig up one of many threads from there on the topic if anyone is interested. I just found that part of Lyle’s forum, teh mean forum, and it’s a crazy place.

another variation of the protocol involves a short depletion bout the day following the workout with the cardio placed after it, and the workout itself is more of a 5x5 type ordeal. I prefer this but haven’t tried the first version, I just wrote it cuz it’s much less complex

most of the people using this type of protocol are using EC and.or yohimbine + C on th diet days or for the lifting/cardio sessions

that’s about all I can think of off the top of my head

-Jeff