Intermittent Fasting Schedule?

I want to trial intermittent fasting, I’ve heard many positive things about it, but being a student with class every weekday from 730 to 2, I can’t lift until around 3, arriving home around 430-5. so being that I have to go to bed around 10, is there a way that I can effectively do this(aiming for at least 16 hours of fasting, 8 hours eating)?

Shorten your eating window from after your workout until bed, 5 to 5 and a half hours is plenty of time for eating during intermittent fasting.

Also, read a book on the subject. You can find entire e-books for IF style diets on line for free if you look hard enough.

Also: fasting will make you feel like shit and generally impact your mental performance while you “get used to it.” Something to think about if your day job is learning stuff .

Google “lean gains”

This is the most common setup for my younger clients that are still in college or have flexible working hours.

Sample setup

12-1 PM or around lunch/noon: Pre-workout meal. Approximately 20-25% of daily total calorie intake.
3-4 PM: Training should happen a few hours after the pre-workout meal.
4-5 PM: Post-workout meal (largest meal).
8-9 PM: Last meal before the fast.

Does anyone use Intermittent Fasting to gain muscle or just for fat loss?

I honestly can’t see how anyone uses IF for muscle gain. IF is my current setup…to lose fat, as best as possible…but even eating my calories in deficit is quite a challenge. In fact, last night I grew so tired of eating I just wanted to say “ah fuck it. fuck this food, so tired of chewing. fuck you tuna. fuck you eggs. fuck you meatloaf and you god forsaken fucking rice” And I only ate 1900 cals for the day - about 1000 during that meal…yes, it was all measured out.

I imagine that to go above your maintenance you’d have to be a very “trained eater” for a small window of 8hrs at most. And/or, you’d need to drink your calories as well.

I think the negative side effects of IF when people cite things like developing bad psychology/relationship with your foods come with a setup like mine. Early AM, “fasted” training can be and is difficult. After my PWO shake I feel good but a couple hours later it’s like fucking destroying 52 eggo waffles (ahhh, haven’t had those in years!!) with butter, syrup, and topped with chocolate chips. I don’t feel less energy or anything, just the food cravings haunt my thoughts moreso than the thoughts of what the cute Korean girl I work with is wearing under that skirt today.

Now that’s wrong to obsess over food than the hot married girl you can never, ever get a taste of. Okay, IF is really screwing with my head now.

[quote]uv_deth wrote:
Okay, IF is really screwing with my head now.[/quote]
Maybe this is not for you buddy.

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]uv_deth wrote:
Okay, IF is really screwing with my head now.[/quote]
Maybe this is not for you buddy.

tweet[/quote]

LOL, yeah when I typed up my reply I was in destroy mode. I had ideas of eating a mountain of pancakes and peanut butter jelly sandwiches (and asian women) running through my mind.

I find that when it gets close to a cheat meal which I have once a week, the closer it gets, the more crazy the thoughts become about obliterating food. I start trolling pinterest and recipe sites while at work.

But…I’ve been IF for a while now, in fact long enough when Martin actually updated leangains.com, which has died some time ago. So while IF is good for somethings, I do acknowledge and see the psychological downsides that Tnation has been posting about IF lately.

IF makes things simpler. Fuck having to take a bunch food everywhere with you.

That article Dani wrote is alot of BS in itself. Those who promote IF(leangains, rippedbody, etc) know PWO nutrition is good and dont recommend training completely fasted.

[quote]talon2nr7588 wrote:
IF makes things simpler. Fuck having to take a bunch food everywhere with you. [/quote]

x 100.

(granted, consistent LBM gains aren’t a current goal of mine)

Good points.

I liked that article and the point about IF potentially leading to bad eating habits/psychology was certainly worth mentioning.

On the flipside, the article didn’t consider intelligent (ie. dialed-in on macros) dieting approaches. And obviously if someone is just winging it, mediocre/random results will almost surely follow.

-edited-

[quote]uv_deth wrote:
I honestly can’t see how anyone uses IF for muscle gain. IF is my current setup…to lose fat, as best as possible…but even eating my calories in deficit is quite a challenge. In fact, last night I grew so tired of eating I just wanted to say “ah fuck it. fuck this food, so tired of chewing. fuck you tuna. fuck you eggs. fuck you meatloaf and you god forsaken fucking rice” And I only ate 1900 cals for the day - about 1000 during that meal…yes, it was all measured out.

I imagine that to go above your maintenance you’d have to be a very “trained eater” for a small window of 8hrs at most. And/or, you’d need to drink your calories as well.
Why not eat foods that you don’t have to force down?
I think the negative side effects of IF when people cite things like developing bad psychology/relationship with your foods come with a setup like mine. Early AM, “fasted” training can be and is difficult. After my PWO shake I feel good but a couple hours later it’s like fucking destroying 52 eggo waffles (ahhh, haven’t had those in years!!) with butter, syrup, and topped with chocolate chips. I don’t feel less energy or anything, just the food cravings haunt my thoughts moreso than the thoughts of what the cute Korean girl I work with is wearing under that skirt today.

Now that’s wrong to obsess over food than the hot married girl you can never, ever get a taste of. Okay, IF is really screwing with my head now.[/quote]