T Nation

Intermittent Fasting Results?

Have any of you tried intermitent fasting? What kind of results did you get? For those who are infamiliar with IF:
http://articles.elitefts.com/nutrition/intermittent-fasting-big-help-or-big-hype/

I’m doing it right now…never been leaner in my life. I’ve actually managed to gain some strength too by convincing my body it needs it…been trying to figure out my 1rm on squat and DL while doing it. After I hit the point where I’ve reached my desired leanness I’m gonna switch back to a more conventional diet. If you’re gonna this though, make sure you eat good, solid cals for your 8 hours

[quote]BigJc wrote:
I’m doing it right now…never been leaner in my life. I’ve actually managed to gain some strength too by convincing my body it needs it…been trying to figure out my 1rm on squat and DL while doing it. After I hit the point where I’ve reached my desired leanness I’m gonna switch back to a more conventional diet. If you’re gonna this though, make sure you eat good, solid cals for your 8 hours[/quote]

What kind of plan are you following for it (fasting)? How many days a week? I’m planning on doing it for 24 hours once a week.

Fastest results usually come from doing the every day 16 hour fast, eat for 8.

I’ve been doing leangains for over a year (16/8)

I had bulked up to 205lbs - starting at just 120lbs a number of years back. I was eventually happy with my size for my frame and decided it was time to cut. IF has worked wonders. It took a while to get into the groove, but I feel more energetic and healthier, and dropped down to 7% BF currently @ 176lbs.

I was a bit surprised about how much extra fat I had - I didn’t expect to loose that much weight. But I preserved about 98% of my muscle, and look bigger. Soon, I am going to ramp up the calories a bit and attempt to add some more muscle, while remaining rather lean.

I’ve been doing IF since late last year and lost 20-25 pounds. I don’t eat anything during the day and have a one big meal at night (feeding window about an hour), eating until I’m satisfied. I always have a big dessert. I doubt I get more than than 100 grams of protein a day. I’ve lost some strength, but not too bad. I suspect I would have maintained more strength if protein was higher and if I shortened the daily fasting period, but I like the long fasts and have no desire to eat so much meat or drink protein shakes. I feel fantastic while fasting. Energy is up, thinking is sharper, don’t have to bother with food, and I feast every night. I’m never going back.

Same here. As I lose more and more fat, I’m constantly surprise at how much I had to lose.

You can see my IF results in my avatar and photos. I’ve been experimenting with alternate day fasting recently.

[quote]Gumpshmee wrote:
You can see my IF results in my avatar and photos. I’ve been experimenting with alternate day fasting recently.[/quote]

Alternate as in EOD?

before a 3 month IF PREP

after a 3 month IF PREP

I’ve been doing it for a year solid now and it’s become more of a lifestyle than a short-term programme to a achieve a certain goal. In principle, it follows the Warrior Diet/Chad Waterbury method where you generally fast, i.e. eat nothing, for 20-22 hours, save for a whey shake or 2 (pulsing), then eat at night.

Contrary to a lot I have read on these forums, this is not another incarnation of binge eating or an excuse to eat all kinds of processed crap. I find I can only progress if I monitor kcals and carbs pretty closely. From a greater overall health point of view, I also take pride in eating clean. I have never totally understood the argument where you must carb up on donuts or other shit to achieve optimum glycogen levels/anabolic rebound or whatever when white rice, potatoes, etc, can do the same job.

IMO it is the quickest and most effective method I have used (and I’ve tried most diets) to improve body comp. I got really out of shape during the Christmas period after a lengthy layoff and I was quite shocked at how quickly I leaned out during Jan/Feb.

I am currently experimenting with a peri-WO protocol using some carbs pre-WO, which deviates from most IF systems (where you train fasted). Hopefully this will lend itself to greater hypertrophy results.

I do it once a week. It keeps my weight under control for me. I used to do it 2x, lost 8 lbs and have used it as weight maintenance.