Intermittent Fasting: Martin Berkhan

[quote]mom-in-MD wrote:
you assume correct!

its just another form of fasting…I got introduced to fasting a couple years ago when I was part of the Lean eating program for PN…one of the lessons was on fasting.

I’ve have Brad Pilons eat stop eat e-book on hand for awhile if anyone is interested! [/quote]

Sweet I’d be interested.

^ just shoot me a PM with your email :slight_smile:

Hey Rocky, do you know if Berkhan’s book came out yet?

I had acl surgey four months ago, and since I wasn’t going to be very active I tried a diet like this (warrior diet) and went from 233-220 in a 4-5 week time frame. I tried to eat clean for that one big meal, but it didn’t always work, The energy and focus I had throught the day was insane. Since I am starting to workout again I have been following more of the anabolic diet.

I’ve been doing the 16/8 intermittent fasting per Leangains for a week, so far I feel great. This feels like the natural way for me to eat, I had always resisted it though because I thought I’d loose muscle. On days when I lift I’ll take a scoop of whey about an hour before training. I break the fast with solid food around 1pm, the have 2 or 3 more meals before bed. I’ll post some body pics in a few months.

I am also trying this now as a potential maintenence diet, 2 weeks in and I like it so far. Less the hunger pains in the late morning.

I’m using the following.

Workout Days (4 per week)
8pm - 12pm - no calories
12pm - Lunch
5pm - Pre-WO Shake
6pm - Post-WO Shake
7pm - Dinner

Non-Workout Days
7pm - 11am - no calories
11am - Lunch
6pm - Dinner

I’m using this for maintenence, so I don’t anticipate any drastic changes in body comp, but I’ll continue to post any relevant updates.

[quote]ADvanced TS wrote:
I am also trying this now as a potential maintenence diet, 2 weeks in and I like it so far. Less the hunger pains in the late morning.

I’m using the following.

8pm - 12pm - no calories
12pm - Lunch
5pm - Pre-WO Shake
6pm - Post-WO Shake
7pm - Dinner

Non-Workout Days
7pm - 11am - no calories
11am - Lunch
6pm - Dinner

I’m using this for maintenence, so I don’t anticipate any drastic changes in body comp, but I’ll continue to post any relevant updates.[/quote]

Do you feel good eating only 2 solid meals a day? I assume these are fairly large meals?

[quote]Hog Ear wrote:

[quote]ADvanced TS wrote:

I’m using the following.

8pm - 12pm - no calories
12pm - Lunch
5pm - Pre-WO Shake
6pm - Post-WO Shake
7pm - Dinner

Non-Workout Days
7pm - 11am - no calories
11am - Lunch
6pm - Dinner

I’m using this for maintenence, so I don’t anticipate any drastic changes in body comp, but I’ll continue to post any relevant updates.[/quote]

Do you feel good eating only 2 solid meals a day? I assume these are fairly large meals? [/quote]

I feel some hunger pains in the morning but my meals are 1000 cal each so they keep me full. On workout days I have (2) 300 cal shakes, one before my workout and one after.

I feel way better putting all my cals of the day around my workouts and my performance in the gym has improved.

I also really enjoy this eating style as I’m not hungry in the morning and trying the conventional 2-4 hour small meals left me hungry all the time and rushing to get stuff prepared and not something thats easy to do as a college student with a job. Eating 2-3 BIG meals keeps me in the good zone when it comes to mental acuity and focus and energy is just fantastic. Have been eating this way for 2 months WHILE DIETING. So, this will be even better once I get to my cruise (reason for my cut). It’ll be quite nice to feast once I start getting my cals back up to maintenance and beyond

i posted in this thread a couple months ago. i’m currently getting pretty damn shredded IF style. will post pics in a few weeks.

[quote]Dolce wrote:
i posted in this thread a couple months ago. i’m currently getting pretty damn shredded IF style. will post pics in a few weeks.[/quote]

anticipation

[quote]Dolce wrote:
i posted in this thread a couple months ago. i’m currently getting pretty damn shredded IF style. will post pics in a few weeks.[/quote]

Looking forward to these. The before and after pics on Leangains are impressive, almost look too good to be true.

I’ll have something to show right before Labor Day. I could post up a picture now and still be impressive, but I really want to get bone shredded. I still have a little lower abdominal fat and a little lower back fat.

It’ll still be an impressive transformation, but I’m not carrying nearly as much mass as the individual Martin posted up on his blog recently. I’ve gone from about 225-230 (approximately 20%+ bf) to about 193-195 (11-12%). I’m about 5’ 11.5’’ My weight tends to fluctuate greatly.

Anyway, its crazy to think how much food I just put down. Mind you its 9:45 P.M… This was sorta a high carb day as well, so most workout days aren’t this excessive but close:

50g protein of ground chicken breast
300g carb of brown rice
large portion of kimchee (fermented korean cabbage)

2 servings of organic low fat plain yogurt
2 servings of organic strawberry fruit spread
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
1/4 cup raw oatmeal

1 chocolate chip cookie

I’m stuffed right now. I guarantee I’ll look lean as ever tomorrow morning. I really need to start hitting more fasted cardio if I want to hit my goal before Labor day (7-8% bf).

[quote]Dolce wrote:
I’ll have something to show right before Labor Day. I could post up a picture now and still be impressive, but I really want to get bone shredded. I still have a little lower abdominal fat and a little lower back fat.

It’ll still be an impressive transformation, but I’m not carrying nearly as much mass as the individual Martin posted up on his blog recently. I’ve gone from about 225-230 (approximately 20%+ bf) to about 193-195 (11-12%). I’m about 5’ 11.5’’ My weight tends to fluctuate greatly.

Anyway, its crazy to think how much food I just put down. Mind you its 9:45 P.M… This was sorta a high carb day as well, so most workout days aren’t this excessive but close:

300g carb of brown rice

1/4 cup raw oatmeal

1 chocolate chip cookie

I’m stuffed right now. I guarantee I’ll look lean as ever tomorrow morning. I really need to start hitting more fasted cardio if I want to hit my goal before Labor day (7-8% bf).

[/quote]

I love kimchee! I need to start making it again. Might have to go buy a quart tomorrow. Do you plan on staying with the 16:8 fasting long term?

[quote]Dolce wrote:

300g carb of brown rice

1/4 cup raw oatmeal

1 chocolate chip cookie

[/quote]

I’d say hit us with the pics now and then post up the last one when you get there. You really are the only one posting here who has been using this diet long term.

How long did this initial fat loss phase take?

What are your macro’s for workout and non-workout days?

[quote]
I love kimchee! I need to start making it again. Might have to go buy a quart tomorrow. Do you plan on staying with the 16:8 fasting long term? [/quote]

I’m not sure yet. When I start bulking again this fall, I’ll probably add breakfast back however, its really nice not having to worry about cooking breakfast before work right now.

Its not exactly something you have to do 100% of the time for it to be beneficial. Although once your body adapts to eating breakfast, you can feel pretty hungry if you all of a sudden stop eating it.

Its really just refreshing knowing that everytime you feel a little hunger pang, your body isn’t eating its own muscle for fuel. I used to always be under this impression.

Ok, I’ll have something by Monday then.

To tell you the truth, I’ve been “cutting”, using a carb cycling diet, since the middle of February however I’ve had quite a few “breaks” since then. My birthday was in April, and a planned “refeed birthday dinner” turned into an all out gorge fest for 2.5 weeks. That really set me back, lol. I’ve also had the same situation happen a few times but for not as long, just a few days.

I didn’t start IF till around May and I’ve been much better at staying compliant with dieting. The reason is because I get so full from what I eat post workout, that I don’t feel the need to gorge out on junkfood.

So its difficult for me to say how long I’ve actually been on a steady diet. If I had to guess, I’d say I have about 10-12 weeks worth of successful dieting.

I don’t really count specific macros. I sorta have a rough idea of what I’m eating. I make sure to get enough protein and fat on off days and enough carbs on workout days. I’ll probably have to dial this in very soon, but for now I’m riding it out, because my weight keeps dropping and my strength is staying stable.

To give you an idea of what I eat:

On workout days carbs are high-very high, protein is moderate-low moderate, and fat is just a couple fish oil.

A sample workout day would look like this:

Meal 1: 3 cups of brown rice, stirfry vegetables, 2 chicken breasts, 2 fish oil

Meal 2 (pre/peri workout): 2 scoops SWF, 4 scoops anaconda, 1 scoop MAG-10

Meal 3 (post workout): 1 banana, 1 scoop whey

Meal 4: 5 cups brown rice, kimchee (can’t eat this earlier in the day or no one will talk to me), 2 chicken breasts, yogurt with frozen fruit

On nonworkout days carbs are low, protein is high, and fat is moderate.

Meal 1: Two grass-fed NY strip steaks, 2 cups vegetables, 1 large baked potato

Meal 2: 2 scoops whey, 5 fish oil

Meal 3: 3 chicken breasts, 2 cups vegetables, 2 servings natty PB or walnuts, 5 fish oil

Hope that helps. I promise to share something by Monday night =)

I don’t like diet hopping, but this diet seems pretty interesting. And for some reason I’m always thinking of the next meal this time around. Usually, my appetite would have normalized by now. So, I might trade in my 3-4 hr feedings with fasting. This might also work well with my vacation coming up, so I can eat well(probably indulge in barbecue) and not go over my calorie budget for the meal(too much).

I was reading through this thread and it got my interest which led me to read up on the interview at elitelifts meantioned on the first page. I’m interested to see how many calories people are consuming on these types of IF diets. I would assume there is still some sort of calorie restriction going on?

I used to eat 2 big meals a day and I started getting pretty fat like that, so I have a hard time seeing how this works, but the testimonials seem to be very good.

[quote]ethanwest wrote:
I was reading through this thread and it got my interest which led me to read up on the interview at elitelifts meantioned on the first page. I’m interested to see how many calories people are consuming on these types of IF diets. I would assume there is still some sort of calorie restriction going on?

I used to eat 2 big meals a day and I started getting pretty fat like that, so I have a hard time seeing how this works, but the testimonials seem to be very good.[/quote]

Your two meals contained too many calories for your energy needs that day.