Intermediate Routine After Starr's 5x5?

Hello, I posted this in the beginner’s section because I must be a beginner if’n I don’t know this answer.
I have been at Starr’s 5x5 for over a year now and just recently someone suggested I quite my Beginner’s plan and move on to an intermediate plan. After a week of searching, I have no idea what to do. Alot of people seem to suggest this 5/3/1? But there are many variations. Therefore, I have come to you for suggestions. My current routine is as follows.

All lifts at 5 sets of 5 reps
Mon: Bench, squat, deadlift
Wed: Standing military-press, squat, dynamic rows and pull-ups
Fri: Bench, squat, deadlift
I would often add in some ab work afterwards.

I like squatting, proud to have my squat at nearly double my weight now (I’m 5’3 at 140llbs, my 5x5 squat is 275…no idea what my 1rm is) and I’d have a tendency to pursue full body routines. That said, I am a novice at lifting still and pretty much will follow what I’m told.

Thanks for the time guys/gals.

Man, you could take your pick with just about anything. Any thought out program put together intelligently will work for awhile.

How many days per week do you wanna train? Are you more interested in heading a BBer or a PLer direction with your training…or something else?

More in the bodybuilder direction. Mostly 3 days a week, although my future work load might limit me to 2 days a week.

edit: for some reason said powerlifter, meant to say bodybuilder. I’m not going for max strength–more so aesthetics.

Madcow intermediate
5/3/1
WS4SB
Juggernaut method
Ed coan’s program

^all good choices

Thanks much for the input Chris, Madcow and the 5/3/1 were the two I thought would work. I would note that for some reason my reply to jskrabac had pr’er when I meant to put bb’er. That’s what I get for answering posts at 7am.

That being said, I have found many different approaches to the 5/3/1, how does one choose which to go with? Moreover, where does one obtain these routines? I’m willing to pay a small fee, for sure the creators deserve their due, but I’d first like to know what I’m getting into.

are you still making progress on your current routine?

[quote]shinneh wrote:
Thanks much for the input Chris, Madcow and the 5/3/1 were the two I thought would work. I would note that for some reason my reply to jskrabac had pr’er when I meant to put bb’er. That’s what I get for answering posts at 7am.

That being said, I have found many different approaches to the 5/3/1, how does one choose which to go with? Moreover, where does one obtain these routines? I’m willing to pay a small fee, for sure the creators deserve their due, but I’d first like to know what I’m getting into.[/quote]

Buy the book off of jim wendler’s website, it’s only 20 bucks.

Read it through and make sure you understand the reasoning behind the program.

As far as what template to follow, just pick whichever one you like best. You can change them every few cycles to keep things more interesting

5/3/1 will allow you to progress on all the big lifts and put on size if you eat enough; however, it is not focused on aesthetics; it’s not a BBing program. It’s good if you want to build some foundation before heading into a bodypart split, or you could start with a bodypart split now. There are no rules against building foundational strength on a bodypart split =)

As you mention you would like to focus more on aesthetic there is oh so much inspiration to be found in this thread as well as several good splits for your goal: Do This Routine Instead of That Dumb One - Competitive Bodybuilding - Forums - T Nation

I’m LOVING 5/3/1, and if you are smart about the assistance it you can indeed tweak it for BBing. Here is an example:

That right there is a good routine for strength and mass.

Do a push pull legs
Or a chest/back legs delts/arms
If YIUR body building you probably be better off doing that
And I’f you have to go down to two days a week you can use the DC split but not the actually program
Chest delts tris back width back thickness
Biceps forearms calves hams quads

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
I’m LOVING 5/3/1, and if you are smart about the assistance it you can indeed tweak it for BBing. Here is an example:

That right there is a good routine for strength and mass.[/quote]

I would second this suggestion. I started with a 5X5 routine as well (Stronglifts) last year, but this year I made the switch to 5/3/1. I started with the Boring but Big Routine, then switched to the one Lonnie just linked you too, and now I am working with Fullbody 5/3/1. But I would vouch for any 5/3/1 template you find in Wendler’s book.

I read somewhere that the way you look is mostly regulated by what you eat, so if your diet is clean and in check, you shouldn’t have a problem unless you pick a really dumb-ass program.

Seems more votes for the 5/3/1, thanks much for the specific link to the bb’ing version. Jskrabac, the link you posted suggests 5 day a week. That’s just not possible…well maybe, but my job takes alotta steam out of me.

Are body split programs workable with 2 or 3 day per week routines?

I’ve read the same things, Freak_Frankie, and I have kept my diet pretty straight on Berardi’s principles. If anything, I have a hard time getting in enough calories.
I believe I’ve got a pretty good foundation built up. After a nearly steady year and some change of the 5x5. The gains are coming slowly. I’ll go up, then down. I can’t seem to get 290 squat (I’ve had a goal to hit 300 llbs squat). My bench still sucks (185 llbs) and my dead lift is good, I think (225 llbs). Those are not 1rms, but what I did today in the 5x5.

I guess I’ll wait for some advice on the split routines while I look into the 5/3/1+body building. Thanks alot for helping me out.