T Nation

Intermediate/Beginner Deadlift Program

Does anyone know an intermediate or beginner programs focused around the deadlift? Most programs seem to be built around the squat but I really like deadlifting and want to be doing that as much as possible.

Coan/Phillippi deadlift routine.

Google for info. Zephead5967 and TheDudeAbides sometimes post in this forum and have some experience with the routine, I believe. You may want to ask them about it.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Coan/Phillippi deadlift routine.

Google for info. Zephead5967 and TheDudeAbides sometimes post in this forum and have some experience with the routine, I believe. You may want to ask them about it. [/quote]

Thanks man. I just googled the program and found this link.

http://tsampa.org/training/scripts/coan_phillipi_deadlift/

It has a calculator where you can work out your weights based upon your current 1RM and your desired 1RM. If anyone is interested take a look.

I may have been a little unclear in my original post. What I was looking for was something like starting strength but based around the deadlift instead of the squat. The current SS and SS advanced only DL once a fortnight.

[quote]Bunyip wrote:
I may have been a little unclear in my original post. What I was looking for was something like starting strength but based around the deadlift instead of the squat. The current SS and SS advanced only DL once a fortnight. [/quote]

You don’t suppose there might be a reason for that?

If you’ve that much of a hard-on for the DL, switch the DL and squat in Ripp’s SS. It’s not SS, and there’s a reason it’s not written like that, but you’ll have fun and will continue to make progress, albiet differently.

[quote]Bunyip wrote:

I may have been a little unclear in my original post. What I was looking for was something like starting strength but based around the deadlift instead of the squat. The current SS and SS advanced only DL once a fortnight. [/quote]

It makes sense to only do it once every other session. The squat is far more important at that point in training. And deadlifting even once a week becomes stressful once you start moving heavy weights. If you’re actually a beginner doing something like coans with that kind of planned progression is kind of dumb. Stick with rips as layed out, and throw in some isolation work for your arms, calves, and make sure you get some latwork, and hit all heads of the deltoids.