Interior Painting ?'s

this weekend I’m planning to tackle the 1st painting project in the new house. I have never painted before so this is all new. does anyone have any advice?

one of my good friends says not to tape off edges and trim. says its a waste of time and doesn’t do much. is this true? also how do you get nice sharp edges on the top of the wall where it meets the ceiling? do you mask of the edge of the ceiling? I have a popcorn ceiling. thanks

I personally use a piece of cardboard as a guide on more closely visible edges and free hand the edge with the ceiling.

I tape edges and trim, but just cut on the ceiling. We have a knockdown texture on both walls and ceiling, and getting a sharp cut with it is difficult. If you are painting your ceiling as well, do it first.

Use a primer if you’re using a dark or rich color.

Professionals tape trim, then put a bead of caulk over it to get a really sharp line. I’ve never tried this before, but will do it with my next project.

If you use a roller, paint in a random pattern vs. straight up and down. This helps prevent lines from forming where the paint is thicker at the edge of the roller.

To get sharp corners you can tape it off and use some hairspray on it before you paint. Not sure why it works, but it did for me with the knockdown texture.

If the walls are flat, use the small (about an inch thick) contractor rollers. They do a good job and waste far less paint. The blue tape with the orange label–I think it is labeled delicate or something–comes off the walls easier and can be used multiple times, which is good if you are doing stripes.

Just cut in on the textured ceiling. Use a brush with a good edge. You can practice in corners first.

Two words of advice: “Paint conditioner”

If you are using latex, use Flood’s Floetrol.

http://www.flood.com/flood/Products/PaintAdditives/Floetrol_Exterior+Addititve.htm

If you are using oil based paint, use Flood’s Penetrol.

http://www.flood.com/flood/Products/PaintAdditives/Penetrol+Interior+Prod+Page.htm

Penetrol/Floetrol perform as advertised. They make painting projects flow more smoothly. They reduce brush marks and leveling problems, improve penetration and adhesion of the paint.

thanks for the advice guys. I taped off all the trim this am. kindve tedious work. but not painting till this weekend. so figured might as well. I did buy a paint edger as well. but have a feeling will still need a brush to get right up next o the trim. anyone know how well behr paint from home depot is?

I would recommend taping off edges and borders, because you will probably not be able to do a great job freehand especially if you are a beginner. Its not very time consuming, and its best to invest a little more time and get it right. If you mess up, it can be a bitch to undo.

where do you guys recommend starting? painting all edges and ceiling edge 1st? or do center of walls and work your way and do trim last?

[quote]MNguns wrote:
where do you guys recommend starting? painting all edges and ceiling edge 1st? or do center of walls and work your way and do trim last?[/quote]

Definitely edges 1st. Make sure you paint far enough out where you can easily paint with your roller.

so would you do the border near ceiling along with edges?

[quote]MNguns wrote:
so would you do the border near ceiling along with edges?[/quote]

Two more words of advice: “cutting in”.

Paint a border around each edge of the wall with a 2 or 3 inch brush, then roll out the big areas.

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/108195_painting-walls-cutting.htm