Interesting Take On CNN Shooting

Here’s one worth thinking about:

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55026

It’s at WorldNetDaily, so I guess partisans will mostly ignore it, but I thought it was pretty insightful vis a vis the current state of mind in America with regard to defending those who cannot defend themselves.

Excerpts:

[quote]The first and last time Charles saw Clara alive, she was being dragged by her hair through the CNN Center in Atlanta. Clara’s tormentor ordered Charles out of the way, and instead of standing his ground to defend an obviously distressed woman, he obeyed the thug’s order and let them pass.

There was a time when a majority of American men would almost surely have come to Clara’s aid. They believed in an ethic that said, “Rescue those who are being taken away to death; hold back those who are stumbling to the slaughter.” (Proverbs 24:11)

It was a day when men, recognizing the reality of evil, carried weapons that enabled them to stand in the gap for those being unjustly tormented and threatened. Virtually any man on the street could come to the aid of a victim like Clara.

[/quote]

Posted by Bob Allen, I found it to be sad and scary at the same time.

[quote]Cunnivore wrote:
Posted by Bob Allen, I found it to be sad and scary at the same time.[/quote]

Very, very sad.

[quote]Cunnivore wrote:
Here’s one worth thinking about:

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=55026
[/quote]

Very sad indeed.

I know this is T-Nation and that we should be blaming this on the “pussification” of men and their testosterone levels being at all time lows, but it’s also a direct consequence of everybody looking solely for his/her own selfish interest.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ll take my sword, mask and cape and go after the vilains…

[quote]lixy wrote:
I know this is T-Nation and that we should be blaming this on the “pussification” of men and their testosterone levels being at all time lows, but it’s also a direct consequence of everybody looking solely for his/her own selfish interest.
[/quote]

When the tools with which one might intervene have been removed, it is little surprise that no one does.

Zorro ain’t got shit on the Batman.

Excellent point, self-preservation seems, unfortunately, to be the primary motivation for a lot of people these days. Not that it shouldn’t be, but perhaps there really was a time when people weren’t afraid to look out for one another, particularly in an instance like this where a woman is being savaged by a man.

Then again, “Chivalry” is an outdated relic of the patriarchal misogyny of the 50’s and earlier, isn’ it?

In case I should be accused of zealotry, here is an article with a completely opposite view. It comes from a heavily Anti-Second Amendment website, ironically named “GunGuys.com”. The point they seem to be trying to make is that the victim in this case would have been considerably LESS SAFE if a particular law had been passed which would have made it possible for her coworkers to carry weapons in the building. Don’t try too hard to figure that one out.

Source:
http://www.gunguys.com/#post-2039

Excerpts:

[quote]Besides his name and age, authorities haven?t released any more information about the man, or where he obtained his firearm from. The woman worked at the Omni Hotel on the premises, so it?s likely that he came there armed and intending to hurt her.

Which puts the NRA?s latest legal proposal into an interesting context. Currently, the NRA is trying to actually make it illegal for employers to ban guns from their workplace. Columnist Robbie Schwartz from the Walton Tribune writes about just how crazy the NRA plan is, especially in light of violence like this.

The NRA is currently pushing this law in both Georgia and Florida, and citizens and the business lobby are fighting it with everything they?ve got. There is no reason to pass this law, and every reason to let it die. Here?s hoping that happens quickly in both states.

[/quote]

[quote]Cunnivore wrote:
In case I should be accused of zealotry, here is an article with a completely opposite view. It comes from a heavily Anti-Second Amendment website, ironically named “GunGuys.com”. The point they seem to be trying to make is that the victim in this case would have been considerably LESS SAFE if a particular law had been passed which would have made it possible for her coworkers to carry weapons in the building. Don’t try too hard to figure that one out.

Source:
http://www.gunguys.com/#post-2039

Excerpts:
Besides his name and age, authorities haven?t released any more information about the man, or where he obtained his firearm from. The woman worked at the Omni Hotel on the premises, so it?s likely that he came there armed and intending to hurt her.

Which puts the NRA?s latest legal proposal into an interesting context. Currently, the NRA is trying to actually make it illegal for employers to ban guns from their workplace. Columnist Robbie Schwartz from the Walton Tribune writes about just how crazy the NRA plan is, especially in light of violence like this.

The NRA is currently pushing this law in both Georgia and Florida, and citizens and the business lobby are fighting it with everything they?ve got. There is no reason to pass this law, and every reason to let it die. Here?s hoping that happens quickly in both states.

[/quote]

You don’t get it. If carrying a gun to work or elsewhere is made illegal the criminals will not do it.

Can we even call him a man?? I mean,he may look like a man. He seems abit taller,heavier than an average women,abit more muscle and fat mass but thats about it. I cant seem to comprehend how someone can just let someone be carried off to death like that.

Perhaps it is common knowledge, but the details of the situation haven’t been revealed in the linked article.

Something didn’t quite add up about this article; your title mentioned a “shooting” but the article but your excerpt didn’t mention a gun at all, so I read the underlying CNN article.

The man tried to intervene but was ordered AT GUNPOINT to back away. At that time he ran to find an armed security guard.

Sounds like he did the right thing to me. What would any of you had done differently? You would’ve ran straight at another man that has a gun fixed on you at close range? Personally I would’ve done exactly what this guy did, attempt to intervene and go to find an armed guard (if I was unarmed myself).

Running at the man will only get me killed, so I can no longer track down an armed guard, and possibly enrage the man and put the woman in more danger.

The rest of the articles points on gun control are ridiculous. This happened in Atlanta right? Georgia has a “shall issue” concealed weapons permit system, meaning that they will issue a concealed weapons permit to anyone that wants one and can legally own a handgun. In fact, in Georgia you don’t even need a CCW permit to carry loaded in your car.

This guy wasn’t unable to carry concealed he just chose not to, which should be his right. He’s no more at fault than the woman is for not carrying a gun to protect herself.

[quote]Moriarty wrote:
Something didn’t quite add up about this article; your title mentioned a “shooting” but the article but your excerpt didn’t mention a gun at all, so I read the underlying CNN article.

The man tried to intervene but was ordered AT GUNPOINT to back away. At that time he ran to find an armed security guard.

Sounds like he did the right thing to me. What would any of you had done differently? You would’ve ran straight at another man that has a gun fixed on you at close range? Personally I would’ve done exactly what this guy did, attempt to intervene and go to find an armed guard (if I was unarmed myself).

Running at the man will only get me killed, so I can no longer track down an armed guard, and possibly enrage the man and put the woman in more danger.

The rest of the articles points on gun control are ridiculous. This happened in Atlanta right? Georgia has a “shall issue” concealed weapons permit system, meaning that they will issue a concealed weapons permit to anyone that wants one and can legally own a handgun. In fact, in Georgia you don’t even need a CCW permit to carry loaded in your car.

This guy wasn’t unable to carry concealed he just chose not to, which should be his right. He’s no more at fault than the woman is for not carrying a gun to protect herself.[/quote]

X2

Does no one Google search anymore?

I’m sorry, someone points a gun at me, I’m not diving at him Batman style to save anyone (I don’t have kids).