Interesting Survey

T-Men train for many different reasons. I know that for me health comes first. I would like the following reasons for training listed in order of priority.

1.Health
2.Looks
3.Strength
4.Sports

There may be other reasons that you train, please list them as well.

thanks for contributing,

Zeb

Why do I train? I always have. I know for me, if I didn’t do SOMETHING, I’d be one miserable SOB to live with.

Why do I weight train? That’s an entirely different question. I started weight training seriously when I stopped bike racing. I needed to do something that was the energy equivalent, but much more time efficient. I also figured that when I got back to racing, any fat I’d gained would come off that much easier due to the increased muscle mass.

Hey! What about reasons for eating well, too?

As for training, it’s like this:

1. confidence
  2. to look good
  3. health
  4. sport

For eating well:

1. health (to live long and avoid medical costs!)
  2. to look good
  3. so I feel good!
  4. This sorta goes with no. 1, but so I can enjoy my later years.
  5. To give money to people that deserve it (instead of making McDonald’s richer)
  1. it gives me a boner…thats all
  1. Sports
  2. Strength
  3. Health
  4. Looks

Now diet is another survey altogether:

1. Looks
  2. Health
  3. Strength
  4. Sports

Looks
Health
Stress Relief/Fun

1. Looks (mainly muscle size)
  2. Health (this is a close second)
  3. Strength

1)Health
2)Strength
3)Athletism
4 - looks is a certain and is a direct byproduct of training, IMO.

That is interesting, and quite a thinker. For me, I would have to say:

1. Looks
  2. Health
  3. Sports
  4. Strength (sorry Patricia, Sully, Goldberg et al)
  1. Keeping my body healthy and strong
  2. Looks
  3. Fun - I enjoy my workouts, although some of my friends think I’m a psycho after watching me ‘have fun’
  4. Sports - 10 years ago this would’ve been #1

I don’t train for sports or for health. I train as an end in itself. I enjoy the process (actually lifting weights, getting the pump, etc) and the results (strength, looks, etc). Progress -getting bigger & stronger- is probably number one for me.

I can still remember the first time I squatted 3 plts. I was just a beginner at the time and the only people I had seen squat that much weight at the time outweighed me by at least 60 lbs. To me, to be able to squat that much seemed unbelievable (I know I was naive, 315 is not much) so when I finally did it … what a rush. Just thinking about it makes me want to go squat right now!

I can also remember this one time I hand the ultimate arm pump. My arms felt so heavy and looked so much bigger than I had every seen them before that when I just raised them it felt like they could have been 20 inches (actually about 17).

Thanks for reminding me of some nice memories…

1. ego (I like people looking at me when I bench and deadlift :)…especially big guys [200+ lbs] )
  2. looks (any other reason I wear ‘wife beaters’ in the middle of fall? And only when I lift in the university gym + it’s a good way for girls to look past my mug)
  3. because I’m weird (how many people out there ever heard of sternum chinups, cali presses, or front squats? kinda goes with #1)
  4. health (I’m 21 years old…I don’t care much for it now :)…guess that would explain 3 pints of “ben and jerry’s” last night)

So I can look down and see my dink.

Really.

“Rebellions of the belly are the worst”

~ Sir Francis Bacon

bob a. so in other words, it gives you a boner???

I lift because I love it.

1.Health
2.Strength
3.Looks
4.Sports

My sports are skiing, big game hunting, and horse stuff…including packing things on them. Strength is good for those things. One facet of health is the maintaining youthful function of my body. It’s good to be able to do the things I did at 19 and it’s been a while since I was 19.

I refuse to grow old gracefully.

1. to
  2. get
  3. laid
  4. and to be able to break stuff

all kidding aside, do you really have to have a purpose to lift and be strong. I think being strong is as natural as breathing. as human beings it is part of who we are, men and women, as a species. whether it is physical or mental, the entire upward drive of history of has been defined by mans powerful desire to become stronger in some way. like john berardi says “it only makes sense to be big and strong…I train because I can”

1. Looks
  2. Strength
  3. Health
  4. Sports (not a concern, I dont play anymore).

It keeps me from serving consecutive life sentences for murder.N/K?