Interesting Piece of Information

I saw or read yesterday (forgot the exact source, I do a lot of research hard to keep track of every bit of information) but it was about this guy who was into power lifting. He had 28" quads, 18" neck, but only 14.5" arms.

He was still strong, curling about 100-110lb dumb bells but his arms had no real size to them and looked disproportionate. He has always been training for strength. He added hypertrophy training as part of his training and his arms grew.

I also read a couple powerlifting pdf’s and its wise to have a hypertrophy phase (6 weeks) to build a base, a strength phase for 8-12 weeks, then there was one last (not so significant) phase which I had forgotten.

I am currently struggling with my arms. I am primarily training for strength but size is always welcome. I am on stronglifts. My arms don’t get worked a whole lot I bench press, over head press, and do rows but I am never really left with DOM’s or anything. Would it be worthwhile to add one hypertrophy day? (wherever it is more fitting, I obviously wouldnt do it after bench day for example)

Basically going for low rest preiods 45-70 seconds, 3-4 exercises, plenty of sets, 8-12 rep range going for the best “pump” as possible.

What I am experiencing might be the same thing as that person. He is STRONG but his arms have no size. I am getting STRONGER but my arms aren’t really growing.

ctfletcher
jamie lewis/chaos and pain

Uh-huh. Why do you think i told you to add in a back and bicep day?

Don’t take it personal, I got a lot of advice from that thread I can’t act upon all of it at once. I will probably re-read over it soon though there were some good points made in it.

Your arms look exactly how they should to have a 100lbs bench press… Just saying

[quote]Massthetics wrote:
Don’t take it personal, I got a lot of advice from that thread I can’t act upon all of it at once. I will probably re-read over it soon though there were some good points made in it.[/quote]

I never take things personally.

Just pointing out that you will read a lot of conflicting info, and a lot of it will apply to people at different stages of development and/ or chasing different goals.

You like reading a lot. It can be a good thing or bad thing depending on how you filter info.

So just remember, while processing info, common sense should take precedence. If you want a lagging bodypart (perceived or otherwise) to grow, train it directly. Select a specific exercise to target it and get stronger at the exercise.

You forgot in one day, Really? Check the history of your browser.

What were his bench # like or did you forget that also?