Interesting Observation

Lately I have noticed that my progress is in a " wave like pattern ". Let me explain. So a week ago I hit a P.R. on my squats, 180kg for 8 reps ( high bar, Olympic ) . Now, under normal circumstances, I would hope that this week ( today, to be precise ) I would be able, if not do the same weight for 9 reps, at least feel like the 8 reps are easier than last week.

But on the contrary, today, the same 8 reps seemed much harder than last week. That has been happening for the last two or three months. I will hit a P.R., then the next week it will be really hard to repeat the same P.R. , but on the third or fourth week, I will set a new P.R. . I assume , it all has to do with neural adaptation.

Once you hit a new P.R. you’re body is very tired, and you might struggle to repeat the same next week, but after a week or two, your body gets used to the new P.R. and you can move on and set a new P.R. I don’t really have a question here, just thought maybe somebody has the same experience and could " chip in " with their experience :slight_smile: thanks guys !!!

I experience the same thing semi regularly. But the important part is that PR’s are still constantly coming. Some people suggest periodization to take advantage of the cyclical affect, but some prefer to “never peak”.

I believe there are some that will alternate heavy and light weeks. I believe a friend of mine will do medium 5s for two weeks and then on the third week will hit some heavy, but not max, singles just to keep “feeling the weight”.

[quote]osu122975 wrote:
I believe there are some that will alternate heavy and light weeks. I believe a friend of mine will do medium 5s for two weeks and then on the third week will hit some heavy, but not max, singles just to keep “feeling the weight”.

[/quote]
That is one thing I have liked about 5/3/1 since starting at the end of August…I hit different rep ranges for my primary workout. I hit a heavy double or triple at least once every 3-4 weeks.

lol

How many articles has Louis Simmons written on swapping exercises every few weeks to prevent accommodation and or hitting a wall?

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
lol

How many articles has Louis Simmons written on swapping exercises every few weeks to prevent accommodation and or hitting a wall? [/quote]
So true. That is one reason my assistance work is never the same for more than a couple sessions, and even then the rep range is going to be different.

I have never had that happend to me. However, I almost never go below 3 reps, but do all my work in the 3-5 rep range.

Yeah, it’s interesting how your body’s ability to recover/progress changes as you advance and the weights go up. I remember few years ago when I tried to get to 20 reps at 140 kg. I started with five reps, and every single week I was able to add at least one, and sometimes 2 reps, until I got to 16 reps. ( took me around 7 or so weeks to get there ) . But not anymore at 180 kg. it took me more then two months to go from 3 reps to 8 reps.

A few people here misunderstood me. I’m not complaining at all, nor am I saying that I have hit the wall ( which I didn’t ) what I’m saying is that I noticed a " vawe like " pattern in terms of getting stronger. One week I hit a PR, next week the same PR becomes really heavy, but then on the third or fourth week I set a new PR again, but it goes in " vawe " .

yeah man, makes sense. It’s called a “Record” for a reason, meaning you haven’t done it before. keep kicking ass man. Just know that no one keeps setting PR’s forever. It’s during those times you have to have faith in your training and yourself. And if you’re like me, age kicks your ass lol While I admit that I MAY be on a downhill slide, I’m fucking fighting for every pound on the bar and will NOT go softly into that goodnight lol