Interesting Little Training Facts

Does anyone know any interesting little facts to do with training,such as… You burn the same calories walking a mile or running a mile.

You burn the same calories reading a good post that you do reading a bad post.

Curling in the squat rack will yield greatest results in the triceps area

any proper ones, instead of people trying to be funny that are actually not.

[quote]Charged wrote:
Does anyone know any interesting little facts to do with training,such as… You burn the same calories walking a mile or running a mile.[/quote]

I doubt this is true. While theoretically it takes the same amount of work to move one mile it completely neglects the other ways your body is burning calories while you are moving the mile.

[quote]Charged wrote:
any proper ones, instead of people trying to be funny that are actually not.[/quote]

Are you calling me not-funny, mate!?

no amount of gym time can overcome a bad diet

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Charged wrote:
Does anyone know any interesting little facts to do with training,such as… You burn the same calories walking a mile or running a mile.

I doubt this is true. While theoretically it takes the same amount of work to move one mile it completely neglects the other ways your body is burning calories while you are moving the mile.

[/quote]

you technically use the same energy walking vs runnung the same distance, but the quote neglects a metabolic spillover of higher intensity training.

heres a little training tip, well i dont know if it is a tip but here goes:

Glute-Ham Raises are one of the most under rated exercises for hamstring development. i like them better than RDL’s.

Charged wrote:

[/quote]

Yeah, I think this one is BS.

i got it off Charles Staley

[quote]Miserere wrote:
Charged wrote:
any proper ones, instead of people trying to be funny that are actually not.

Are you calling me not-funny, mate!?[/quote]

yes i am.

Charged wrote:

[/quote]

I doubt so as well.

Arent speed limits (for vehicles) set to help reduce overall gas consumption (even though the same mileage is travelled).

I realize that humans arent cars, but you would think that the same principles apply.

Charged wrote:

[/quote]

It makes sense to me. Essentially, when you run you are burning more kcals per unit of time. If you run 2 miles you will burn the same kcals as walking 2 miles; however, you do it in 13 min as opposed to a half hour. That’s just a guess though, so I could be totally wrong…

If I walk really slowly and take an hour to go one mile I bet I burn more calories in the that oone hour than I burn if I jog and take right minutes.

The difference is likely insignificant but I am sure they exist.

[quote]MarcAnthony wrote:
Arent speed limits (for vehicles) set to help reduce overall gas consumption (even though the same mileage is travelled).

I realize that humans arent cars, but you would think that the same principles apply.

[/quote]

I highly doubt they made gas consumption a priority anywhere near safety when they established speed limits.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

I highly doubt they made gas consumption a priority anywhere near safety when they established speed limits.[/quote]

It was the reason given when the federal government mandate a 55 MPH speed limit.

[quote]LBRTRN wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Charged wrote:

It makes sense to me. Essentially, when you run you are burning more kcals per unit of time. If you run 2 miles you will burn the same kcals as walking 2 miles; however, you do it in 13 min as opposed to a half hour. That’s just a guess though, so I could be totally wrong…[/quote]

That expanation makes sense to me. The amount of work remains the same, but the work-rate is greater in the running group. Even though you are using more energy per unit of time, you spend proportionally fewer unit of time.

While this is all likely true, we all know there’s more to the story as it relates to body composition and athletic performance. But, I concede that it’s probably true nonetheless.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
MarcAnthony wrote:

I highly doubt they made gas consumption a priority anywhere near safety when they established speed limits.[/quote]

Late seventies; speed limits were lowered for the express purpose of saving gas.

I can’t drive… 55!

[quote]conorh wrote:
LBRTRN wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Charged wrote:

It makes sense to me. Essentially, when you run you are burning more kcals per unit of time. If you run 2 miles you will burn the same kcals as walking 2 miles; however, you do it in 13 min as opposed to a half hour. That’s just a guess though, so I could be totally wrong…

That expanation makes sense to me. The amount of work remains the same, but the work-rate is greater in the running group. Even though you are using more energy per unit of time, you spend proportionally fewer unit of time.

While this is all likely true, we all know there’s more to the story as it relates to body composition and athletic performance. But, I concede that it’s probably true nonetheless.[/quote]

Sorry to continue the hijack, but…

I’ve wondered about this for a while. When I first heard that “fact,” my first reaction was that it must be a result of the various (mis)interpretations of a “calorie.” A calorie is (I believe) the British unit of energy/work, just as the joule is the SI unit. A kilocalorie (1000 calories) is what we usually see as a “calorie” on food labels. The work, and thus calories, required from point A to point B, assuming a straight line, is mostly independent of the velocity, which might have lead to that misconception.

I know that what I said above it probably a gross oversimplification, but I’m really curious about where that fact came from. That might shed some light on whether or not it’s true.

Back to the original post. One cool fact that’s worked for me is: Strengthen your legs to increase your bench.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

I don’t think common sense was a priority either.