T Nation

Interesting Forearm Variation

Can’t be a new exercise but it may be new to some folk. Anyway I have been struggling to hit my forearms directly recently and every exercise I try just doesn’t seem to work the inner portion ( closest to body with arms hanging naturally down by your side )no matter what rep range or weight I try.

Today while at the gym I tried something new. I grabbed an unloaded barbel and held one end of it like it was a ski pole with the " handle " directly at my side and the majority of the bar dragging on the floor behind me. Then I just tried to pivot the far end off the floor by turning my wrist downwards all the while making sure my arm wasn’t extending.

The bar was empty and not even an Olympic bar at that but it really seemed to hit the spot and proved to be quite hard. I found after a few reps I was having to put my thumb on top of the bar just to get a greater push and stability. Try it for yourselves I think if nothing else its a variation to stop you getting stale…

ironmind.com check it out ur forearms can be trained daily in my opinion, i used to do extensors one day and flexors the next, get a wrist roller or make one and NEVER use lifting straps on anything either

i think those are called levers, great exercise. people do them with a sledge hammer and eventually try to hold the very bottom of the handle

[quote]steven alex wrote:
Today while at the gym I tried something new. I grabbed an unloaded barbel and held one end of it like it was a ski pole with the " handle " directly at my side and the majority of the bar dragging on the floor behind me. Then I just tried to pivot the far end off the floor by turning my wrist downwards all the while making sure my arm wasn’t extending.
[/quote]

Don’t you mean tried to pivot the far end off the floor by turning my wrist “upwards” ???

Pop a forarm in for you later, and then your friends will be calling you Popeye.

Wayne

[quote]waynelucky wrote:
steven alex wrote:

Don’t you mean tried to pivot the far end off the floor by turning my wrist “upwards” ???

Pop a forarm in for you later, and then your friends will be calling you Popeye.

Wayne

[/quote]Look forward to that Popeye exercise Wayne. Btw no I did mean downwards. Sort of lifting the end of the bar behind me not infront, I think this works the underside of the forearm more that the upper portion your variation hits.

I believe it is the exact same mechanism as a very very heavy 1 arm db forearm curl - just upside down.

And the other variation mentioned is a very very heavy 1 arm db reverse forearm curl…

am i right?

Joe

no its like the side to side motion, kinda half flexion, its actually a more natural rom

big forearms are sick, cause you can cross them and look really scary and big

lol! Yeah… mine aren’t big per-se, but due to my ecto-like thin wrists, and the fact i am “built”, what muscle i do have shows up nicely.

But isnt the bar behind or in front of him? Not to his side?

Joe

[quote]schultzie wrote:
no its like the side to side motion, kinda half flexion, its actually a more natural rom

big forearms are sick, cause you can cross them and look really scary and big[/quote]

AHH i know what you mean, yeah… like with a db curl tho… that has the natural rom… flex and down kinda… as opposed to the BB curls which are 1/2 curls really…

Joe