T Nation

Interesting Article...(Not Really)

Some caveats from this "enlightened" person's perspective on why exercising is actually making people fatter.

"Could pushing people to exercise more actually be contributing to our obesity problem? In some respects, yes. Because exercise depletes not just the body's muscles but the brain's self-control "muscle" as well, many of us will feel greater entitlement to eat a bag of chips during that lazy time after we get back from the gym. This explains why exercise could make you heavier â?? or at least why even my wretched four hours of exercise a week aren't eliminating all my fat. It's likely that I am more sedentary during my nonexercise hours than I would be if I didn't exercise with such Puritan fury. If I exercised less, I might feel like walking more instead of hopping into a cab; I might have enough energy to shop for food, cook and then clean instead of ordering a satisfyingly greasy burrito."

And this one is awesome i thought, a little bit of the crazy conspiracy theorist goin on,

"Some of us can will ourselves to overcome our basic psychology, but most of us won't be very successful. "The most powerful determinant of your dietary intake is your energy expenditure," says Steven Gortmaker, who heads Harvard's Prevention Research Center on Nutrition and Physical Activity. "If you're more physically active, you're going to get hungry and eat more." Gortmaker, who has studied childhood obesity, is even suspicious of the playgrounds at fast-food restaurants. "Why would they build those?" he asks. "I know it sounds kind of like conspiracy theory, but you have to think, if a kid plays five minutes and burns 50 calories, he might then go inside and consume 500 calories or even 1,000."

"In short, it's what you eat, not how hard you try to work it off, that matters more in losing weight. You should exercise to improve your health, but be warned: fiery spurts of vigorous exercise could lead to weight gain. I love how exercise makes me feel, but tomorrow I might skip the VersaClimber â?? and skip the blueberry bar that is my usual postexercise reward."

Sorry i meant to include the link to the article, it was from Time.com

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857,00.html

This is amusing to me, because it shows just how far Americans will go to make excuse for their being lazy. Exercise makes us fat...no idiot, eating like a pig and being lazy make you fat.

Okay so stupid people with self entitlement issues shouldnt workout at random... who cares?

It's not the exercise that makes you fat, it's the three bigmacs with fries and coke that you eat after that makes you fat.

This is from Time Magazine and it's absolute crap. They gave an example that it would take 115 minutes of "weight training" to burn off a 360 calorie muffin. I have a few things to say to that.

1. Don't eat the shit-packed muffin, stupid.
  2. What about the metabolic processes going on for the next 24-72 hours in your body while it's repairing all the damage form the weights? Your body is using energy to repair itself.
  3. I don't know about you but I'm drenched in sweat 35 minutes into my workout. If you lift like a pussy then maybe it will take you 2 hours.

And to the whole "who cares" argument, I do. When it's in something as widely read a held in high regard as Time magazine. I just felt like they should have done some more fucking research.

Times is written by a bunch of liberal fuckups. I hate that magazine with a passion, and everyone involved in it should be shot.

Also, no one can say anything about weight lifting and the effect it has on a body except A FUCKING WEIGHT LIFTER. No one, not a god damn scientist, nor a politician. I'm sick of these half ass studies and retarded statements. It will take me how long to burn off nachos? Well, hello, I am not going to eat fucking nachos.

I think this is bullshit on craving. I have had cravings for junk food before AND after lifting as a life style. Hell, yesterday I worked both a 13 hour shift and lifted weights in the same day, and in the same day one of my co-workers is greeted on her last day with a large ass cake. What's my response when I was asked for a slice? You guessed it: "No, thanks." Did I want some cake? hell yeah, but I know it's not good for me, so I don't want to eat it.

Studies like this are written for the society of today, in not just america but across the world: Blame everyone for your mistakes, and if not a person, blame science. Because we know that we can't just hope that our good judgement and iron will will help us make sound decisions. Too bad no one these days has the balls to turn down some junk food because they are afraid they will look like a pussy in front of their fat boss.

A lot of the argument is based upon the idea that willpower is like a muscle (or a limited pool) and using willpower in one activity weakens your willpower in other activities. This is likely true (the book The End of Overeating talks about some of studies indicating this). However, the article ignores the fact that your ability to exert willpower can increase the more you use it (also like a muscle). Additionally, once an activity becomes a habit, such as weight lifting, then you don't need to exert much willpower to perform the task. Most of the studies using untrained people probably don't last long enough for the working out to become second nature. The whole willpower idea and making it a habit also applies to healthy eating.

I literally laughed out loud at this point. Thank you.

Something i have a hard time with is their liberal use of certain key terms, like "regular exercise".

"Still, as one major study â?? the Minnesota Heart Survey â?? found, more of us at least say we exercise regularly. The survey ran from 1980, when only 47% of respondents said they engaged in regular exercise, to 2000, when the figure had grown to 57%."

Here's another gem from the article.

""In general, for weight loss, exercise is pretty useless," says Eric Ravussin, chair in diabetes and metabolism at Louisiana State University and a prominent exercise researcher. Many recent studies have found that exercise isn't as important in helping people lose weight as you hear so regularly in gym advertisements or on shows like The Biggest Loser â?? or, for that matter, from magazines like this one.

The basic problem is that while it's true that exercise burns calories and that you must burn calories to lose weight, exercise has another effect: it can stimulate hunger. That causes us to eat more, which in turn can negate the weight-loss benefits we just accrued. Exercise, in other words, isn't necessarily helping us lose weight. It may even be making it harder. "

Here's another one
"Earlier this year, the peer-reviewed journal PLoS ONE â?? PLoS is the nonprofit Public Library of Science â?? published a remarkable study supervised by a colleague of Ravussin's, Dr. Timothy Church, who holds the rather grand title of chair in health wisdom at LSU. Church's team randomly assigned into four groups 464 overweight women who didn't regularly exercise. Women in three of the groups were asked to work out with a personal trainer for 72 min., 136 min., and 194 min. per week, respectively, for six months. Women in the fourth cluster, the control group, were told to maintain their usual physical-activity routines. All the women were asked not to change their dietary habits and to fill out monthly medical-symptom questionnaires.

he findings were surprising. On average, the women in all the groups, even the control group, lost weight, but the women who exercised â?? sweating it out with a trainer several days a week for six months â?? did not lose significantly more weight than the control subjects did. (The control-group women may have lost weight because they were filling out those regular health forms, which may have prompted them to consume fewer doughnuts.) Some of the women in each of the four groups actually gained weight, some more than 10 lb. each."

There's 4 pages of this. It's quite "entertaining" to say the least.