Interesting Article...Most Read Magazine

GCF - You definitely went off topic. You didn’t answer my question, and instead started attacking the religion itself. There is a reason why 1914 is chosen; you can see one of the other threads for a very detailed answer of it posted by another person.

You appear to have a personal problem with Jehovah’s Witnesses, which is sad, but not the purpose of this thread.

Regards the wealth of the organization; you assume they are keeping this money? What about all the money spent on publishing, printing, and distributing of all the information? Net and Gross income are very different animals.

Something to note: taking one secular source as your supplied ammunition against a particular entity is never a good business practice. There is no way to have a full understanding from a brief summary.

Now back to the original question. Are you aware of a magazine that has the means to reach so much of the earth’s population in their mother tongue on a monthly basis? Over 150 languages a month, simultaneously.

[quote]honest_lifter wrote:
GCF - You definitely went off topic. You didn’t answer my question, and instead started attacking the religion itself. There is a reason why 1914 is chosen; you can see one of the other threads for a very detailed answer of it posted by another person.

You appear to have a personal problem with Jehovah’s Witnesses, which is sad, but not the purpose of this thread.

Regards the wealth of the organization; you assume they are keeping this money? What about all the money spent on publishing, printing, and distributing of all the information? Net and Gross income are very different animals.

Something to note: taking one secular source as your supplied ammunition against a particular entity is never a good business practice. There is no way to have a full understanding from a brief summary.

Now back to the original question. Are you aware of a magazine that has the means to reach so much of the earth’s population in their mother tongue on a monthly basis? Over 150 languages a month, simultaneously. [/quote]

Huh? You are a moonbat. You posted the article up there. I was responding to it and asking some questions - from an article YOU posted. I’m not using it as ammo I’m asking questions that have come up from reading - an article YOU posted? Now you are telling me I shouldn’t use an article YOU posted up for discussion as a discussion point on a discussion board?!

No I do not know any other magazines that get handed about so liberally. What is your point in getting me to state that? I have never said otherwise. You can’t compare them to other magazines though. They are a totally different animal to the Watchtower.

So there we go I answered your question. How about answering my question that I came up with from reading an article that you posted for discussion on a discussion board? I don’t care why Russell chose 1914 he did and his prophecy was wrong so why do you continue to follow a false prophet?

small organization (comparatively speaking)

Do you know another magazine that is more widely read?
[/quote]

JW is bigger than any other periodic publisher. And it is one of the richest companies in New York…not sure what you are comparing it to.

Yes, there are quite a few, Reader’s Digest 38 Million readership, plus another 40 million in 21 languages in 70 countries.

Sports illustrated has 23 million in readership every week.

[quote]GCF wrote:

Now back to the original question. Are you aware of a magazine that has the means to reach so much of the earth’s population in their mother tongue on a monthly basis? Over 150 languages a month, simultaneously. [/quote]

Huh? You are a moonbat. You posted the article up there. I was responding to it and asking some questions - from an article YOU posted. I’m not using it as ammo I’m asking questions that have come up from reading - an article YOU posted? Now you are telling me I shouldn’t use an article YOU posted up for discussion as a discussion point on a discussion board?!

No I do not know any other magazines that get handed about so liberally. What is your point in getting me to state that? I have never said otherwise. You can’t compare them to other magazines though. They are a totally different animal to the Watchtower.

So there we go I answered your question. How about answering my question that I came up with from reading an article that you posted for discussion on a discussion board? I don’t care why Russell chose 1914 he did and his prophecy was wrong so why do you continue to follow a false prophet?[/quote]

Haha. OK, GCF, I have no problem answering questions. However this: [quote] No I do not know any other magazines that get handed about so liberally. [/quote] has changed the original question and put it in a different light. Our goal isn’t to hand them out liberally to boost our numbers. We don’t care how many magazines get placed, it isn’t our primary goal. We want people to read them. (thus the reason it is printed in so many languages and distributed in so many lands) If you ever get offered them, feel free to reject them. We try to get the information to those that want to read it. Feel free to ask questions out of genuine curiosity and I will respond with, hopefully, a reasonable answer.

[quote]GCF wrote:

So there we go I answered your question. How about answering my question that I came up with from reading an article that you posted for discussion on a discussion board? I don’t care why Russell chose 1914 he did and his prophecy was wrong so why do you continue to follow a false prophet?[/quote]

Haha. OK, GCF, I have no problem answering questions. However this: [quote] No I do not know any other magazines that get handed about so liberally. [/quote] has changed the original question and put it in a different light. Our goal isn’t to hand them out liberally to boost our numbers. We don’t care how many magazines get placed, it isn’t our primary goal. We want people to read them. (thus the reason it is printed in so many languages and distributed in so many lands) If you ever get offered them, feel free to reject them. We try to get the information to those that want to read it. Feel free to ask questions out of genuine curiosity and I will respond with, hopefully, a reasonable answer.[/quote]

I’d say based on this reply you are not going to get an answer to your question GCF

[quote]storey420 wrote:

[quote]GCF wrote:

Haha. OK, GCF, I have no problem answering questions. However this: [quote] No I do not know any other magazines that get handed about so liberally. [/quote] has changed the original question and put it in a different light. Our goal isn’t to hand them out liberally to boost our numbers. We don’t care how many magazines get placed, it isn’t our primary goal. We want people to read them. (thus the reason it is printed in so many languages and distributed in so many lands) If you ever get offered them, feel free to reject them. We try to get the information to those that want to read it. Feel free to ask questions out of genuine curiosity and I will respond with, hopefully, a reasonable answer.[/quote]

I’d say based on this reply you are not going to get an answer to your question GCF
[/quote]

I said I would give answers, so I will.

[Haha. OK, GCF, I have no problem answering questions. However this: [quote] No I do not know any other magazines that get handed about so liberally. [/quote] has changed the original question and put it in a different light. Our goal isn’t to hand them out liberally to boost our numbers. We don’t care how many magazines get placed, it isn’t our primary goal. We want people to read them. (thus the reason it is printed in so many languages and distributed in so many lands) If you ever get offered them, feel free to reject them. We try to get the information to those that want to read it. Feel free to ask questions out of genuine curiosity and I will respond with, hopefully, a reasonable answer.[/quote]

Actually you do have a problem answering questions. You haven’t answered a single one. All my questions have been based on an article that:
a) you posted
b) for discussion
c) on a discussion board

Talking to you is like having a conversation with a toilet brush whilst trying to extract it’s teeth with my left hand and squeezing blood from a stone with my right.

Next time you feel like putting up an article, to generate discussion, on a discussion board please put up a warning that you don’t actually want any discussion and a lobotomy is mandatory for getting to the OPs level.

[quote]GCF wrote:

[Haha. OK, GCF, I have no problem answering questions. However this: [quote] No I do not know any other magazines that get handed about so liberally. [/quote] has changed the original question and put it in a different light. Our goal isn’t to hand them out liberally to boost our numbers. We don’t care how many magazines get placed, it isn’t our primary goal. We want people to read them. (thus the reason it is printed in so many languages and distributed in so many lands) If you ever get offered them, feel free to reject them. We try to get the information to those that want to read it. Feel free to ask questions out of genuine curiosity and I will respond with, hopefully, a reasonable answer.[/quote]

Actually you do have a problem answering questions. You haven’t answered a single one. All my questions have been based on an article that:
a) you posted
b) for discussion
c) on a discussion board

Talking to you is like having a conversation with a toilet brush whilst trying to extract it’s teeth with my left hand and squeezing blood from a stone with my right.

Next time you feel like putting up an article, to generate discussion, on a discussion board please put up a warning that you don’t actually want any discussion and a lobotomy is mandatory for getting to the OPs level. [/quote]

I looked at your posts and these look like the questions you asked:

[quote]But nope turns out he was right after all - Jesus did in fact return as predicted but he was invisible of course! No mention of the predicted destruction or paradise maybe that was all invisible too?[/quote] The destruction and paradise are not invisible. They are future events that will take place.

[quote]How is this not a knockout blow to a particular sect? If your FOUNDER is exposed as a FALSE prophet? how the heck does he still have followers?! For me that would be a pretty loud ‘abandon ship signal’? [/quote]<---- These are seem to be the same question, so I will answer it as such; the “founder” was not exposed as a false prophet. Therefore, it would not be a “knockout blow”. Are you basing that all off this article’s information?

[quote]GCF wrote:

a) you posted
b) for discussion
c) on a discussion board

Next time you feel like putting up an article, to generate discussion, on a discussion board please put up a warning that you don’t actually want any discussion and a lobotomy is mandatory for getting to the OPs level. [/quote]

I looked at your posts and these look like the questions you asked:

[quote]But nope turns out he was right after all - Jesus did in fact return as predicted but he was invisible of course! No mention of the predicted destruction or paradise maybe that was all invisible too?[/quote] The destruction and paradise are not invisible. They are future events that will take place.

Are you a fucking retard?! Yes for the umpteenth time I am asking questions I have from reading a fucking article that you posted! For fucks sake. I have never had a more painful conversation in my life.

Do you not get it? You post an article. People read it and ask questions. Is that too hard? No I am not going to go into deep study from other sources just so I can ask a question. I can’t face it anymore. I am losing IQ points just talking to you.

Did this Russell guy predict the coming of JC and destruction of non believers and paradise in 1914 as the article stated?

If not say so.

If he did then he is a false prophet i.e someone who falsely prophesied. To me that would be a knockout blow. In fact according to the article it was a knockout blow for Russell too - he left the Adventists because of it. Why isn’t it to you?

I took your advice and did some digging on previous threads. I came across a couple of Trinity ones. You were constantly asked direct questions by people over and over again and you just kept asking questions in response and then telling everyone you answered them . Freaking embarrassing. I never actually got to see you respond to the clear direct questions the thread went for a huge number of pages.

In the interests of sparing myself that pain I am just going to peg you as a moron. I can’t be bothered. If anyone is going to attempt to engage toilet brush here in a convo I receommend reading the first page of this thread first.

As you will see complaints of his idiotic behaviour actually span forum topics.

I wanna know why Reader’s Digest and Sports Illustrated were ignored. They clearly out do The Witnesses.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:
I wanna know why Reader’s Digest and Sports Illustrated were ignored. They clearly out do The Witnesses.[/quote]

Where were your sources? The only thing i found that matched that was at wiki.

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/32180_worlds-longest-running-and-most-popular-periodicals-

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/32180_worlds-longest-running-and-most-popular-periodicals-[/quote]

http://nyrm.org/2010/05/13/the-most-widely-read-magazine-in-the-world/

Mine is from the New York Times, dated in May, 2010.

Your article is from Bukisa, dated in Feb, 2009.

Take whatever facts you feel are correct, I am not here to argue a moot point. The take home point is that we are doing what we set out to do, and what the magazine’s purpose is, to make God’s name known throughout the earth. That objective has become successful.

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/32180_worlds-longest-running-and-most-popular-periodicals-[/quote]

Take whatever facts you feel are correct, I am not here to argue a moot point. The take home point is that we are doing what we set out to do, and what the magazine’s purpose is, to make God’s name known throughout the earth. That objective has become successful.[/quote]

Pretty sure that the muslims and catholics have been far more successful in making this god fellow’s name known throughout the earth. Their 2 billion to your 7 million.

That’s like your country winning a single bronze at the olympics, in archery. Forgettable.

The NYT made a great headline to an interesting article, but it did not really talk about how many readers it had. It gave you how many periodicals were handed out. The short article I looked at showed that readership for Sports Illustrated was coming out to be several readers per copy. Now, I have not found how many readers per copy Watchtower has. That is what I am interested in.

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

Take whatever facts you feel are correct, I am not here to argue a moot point. The take home point is that we are doing what we set out to do, and what the magazine’s purpose is, to make God’s name known throughout the earth. That objective has become successful.[/quote]

Pretty sure that the muslims and catholics have been far more successful in making this god fellow’s name known throughout the earth. Their 2 billion to your 7 million.

That’s like your country winning a single bronze at the olympics, in archery. Forgettable.[/quote]

That was actually pretty funny. But on a serious note, the vast majority of Christian religions have taken the name of God OUT of the Bible, including the religion you mentioned.

The NYT made a great headline to an interesting article, but it did not really talk about how many readers it had. It gave you how many periodicals were handed out. The short article I looked at showed that readership for Sports Illustrated was coming out to be several readers per copy. Now, I have not found how many readers per copy Watchtower has. That is what I am interested in.[/quote]

Hmm. Well let me know what you find on it. I don’t know those details.

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

That’s like your country winning a single bronze at the olympics, in archery. Forgettable.[/quote]

That was actually pretty funny. But on a serious note, the vast majority of Christian religions have taken the name of God OUT of the Bible, including the religion you mentioned. [/quote]

Yeah, just being flippant here. Have spoken to a few regular Jehovas who visited me weekly. Spent a couple of hours talking to them. I must say, a HUGE variety in how far they’re willing to back their claims, and how much time they’re willing to spend.

I had one guy who was pretty aggressive, and even jabbed his finger into my chest. Not setting a good example for the young lad that be brought along with him.

On the other hand, a couple of ladies were extremely friendly and patient. Overall though, your lot have a lot of religious fervour. Top grades for effort. For content, not so much. But that’s just me and religion generally these days.

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

That was actually pretty funny. But on a serious note, the vast majority of Christian religions have taken the name of God OUT of the Bible, including the religion you mentioned. [/quote]

Yeah, just being flippant here. Have spoken to a few regular Jehovas who visited me weekly. Spent a couple of hours talking to them. I must say, a HUGE variety in how far they’re willing to back their claims, and how much time they’re willing to spend.

I had one guy who was pretty aggressive, and even jabbed his finger into my chest. Not setting a good example for the young lad that be brought along with him.

On the other hand, a couple of ladies were extremely friendly and patient. Overall though, your lot have a lot of religious fervour. Top grades for effort. For content, not so much. But that’s just me and religion generally these days.[/quote]

You are right, there are going to be many different types of …personalities among the lot of us. From my experience, those who grew up in the city are more straight forward than those who grew up in the suburbs. Even more still, when I do volunteer work in very rural communities, I find that I have to just shoot the breeze with them for between 5-20 before even talking about what we are there for, or they find it rude. Just different lifestyles I guess. In fact, one older man that I went to (he lived on a farm) showed us around his land; all his deer, fowl, bucks, farming equipment. It took an hour or more before we even mentioned why were there. We had to build up that rapport first. However, it was a great experience, I never got to be up close with newly born deer before.

Now as regards content, it is going to be different than many religions. Jehovah’s Witnesses view their faith, and the Bible as study lessons. There is real “homework” that needs to be done. We don’t feel religion is a “feeling” that you get. It is very tangible information that needs to be sorted through; in fact, that is what God has told us to do; to search for the deeper things. It is more than just “being a good person”. All of it can and does make sense with enough study and the right heart condition. That is why we spend Billions and Billions of hours a year in the preaching and teaching work, like those Witnesses tried to do at your door.