Intense Pain From Barbell Curls

When I’ve been doing barbell curls at the end of Waterbury’s mass plan, I keep getting this intense pain around the pinky side of my forearms. I can’t really explain it other than that it feels like it’s the tendons, and it’s bad enough to stop the set, after which they continue to ache harder.

Anybody know what this is and how to stop it, other than just ditching the bb curls?

Anything is appreciated.
The 30 day mass plan is great, btw. Definately recommend it.

By the way, rather than make another thread:
Is there any functional purpose to having tear drop quads/vastius medialis development?

Thanks!

[quote]muscleshark wrote:
When I’ve been doing barbell curls at the end of Waterbury’s mass plan, I keep getting this intense pain around the pinky side of my forearms. I can’t really explain it other than that it feels like it’s the tendons, and it’s bad enough to stop the set, after which they continue to ache harder.

Anybody know what this is and how to stop it, other than just ditching the bb curls?

Anything is appreciated.
The 30 day mass plan is great, btw. Definately recommend it.[/quote]

Are you using an ez bar or a straight bar? I would try ez if you are on straight.

At any rate, stop what you are doing immediately.

Functional to what? In order for something to be functional, it has to have a function. Most of the people who would worry themselves about having a good teardrop shape would be the ones whose stated “function” for their legs would be to be as big and completely developed as possible.

By the way, that part of your quads is stressed best by deep ass squats. Being able to squat deep is so not functional.

Unless you do it on a bosu ball.

My 2 cents, barbell curls are terrible for your wrists and should be avoided. The heavier you get the worse they are. Simply use an EZ Bar and you will probably find the pain goes away. FYI heavy preacher curls can also add to wrist/forearm pain. Hope it heals up for you.

I used to get really bad pain in my forearms on the thumb side, from the thumb to the elbow, that would cause me to fail and actually drop the weight on occasion. I stayed away from the exercises that hurt the most (i.e. barbell curls) and purchased some lifting straps to take the load off my wrists. Today my arms feel fine and I’m able to do the exercises that used to hurt, and I rarely use the straps any more.

I also agree with the above posters to switch to EZ-bar curls.

Wrist pain is the reason that I only use an EZ curl bar for curls (when I’m not using dumbbells).

[quote]muscleshark wrote:
By the way, rather than make another thread:
Is there any functional purpose to having tear drop quads/vastius medialis development?

Thanks![/quote]

Knee stability, bottom end strength, and they look really cool if you can get it big.

Thanks guys. I guess I’ll purchase an oly ez curl bar.
I have one actually, but it’s neither standard size nor olympic size. Therefore, I could put olympic plates on it, but neither sets of collars are compatible.