Intelligence Gap?

I hate to potentially sound like the cockiest person alive, but this is an Internet forum after-all.

Does anyone else feel like their unusually high intelligence makes them removed from society, in the sense that you feel separated from just about everyone else you know?

I have noticed this more and more about myself the older I grow (I’m in high school), and although it’s not a bad problem to have, it is a little troubling emotionally. It’s like I’m just not on the same playing field as everyone else. Keep in mind that I have a normal social life and am atheltic so I don’t feel removed simply due to being wierd.

Can anybody else share any insight they might have about this, either from their own experience or someone you knew?

A wise man knows how little he knows.

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
I hate to potentially sound like the cockiest person alive, but this is an Internet forum after-all.

Does anyone else feel like their unusually high intelligence makes them removed from society, in the sense that you feel separated from just about everyone else you know?

I have noticed this more and more about myself the older I grow (I’m in high school), and although it’s not a bad problem to have, it is a little troubling emotionally. It’s like I’m just not on the same playing field as everyone else. Keep in mind that I have a normal social life and am atheltic so I don’t feel removed simply due to being wierd.

Can anybody else share any insight they might have about this, either from their own experience or someone you knew?[/quote]

I don’t know anything, so this is all I can offer. First of all, you may be growing older but you’re still damn young, so there’s still plenty to experience before making a determination.

Secondly, the more you go out and meet people, the more you’ll realize that the average person is a fucking moron, ergo you’ll always feel superior, provided you aren’t a moron. Funny thing is, though, even the most ridiculously stupid people tend to fancy themselves as more intelligent than their peers.

If you are more intelligent than your peer group and it bothers you, then find people whose intelligence is more commensurate with your own (stop hanging out w/ dumbasses), or just go with the flow and enjoy the unintentional humor of the dumbasses and use them to your advantage. Everyone serves a purpose.

Can anybody else share any insight they might have about this, either from their own experience or someone you knew?[/quote]

Most people are really stupid. Ponder this: 50% of people have an IQ of 100 or less. An IQ differential of only 10 points can make it almost impossible for two people to communicate.

Based on the logical reasoning present in your posts, I would say you’re easily in the top 2%. This means you will find it almost impossible to communicate beyond the most basic level with almost 90% of all people. Frustrating, 'eh?

This sounds like a “poor little rich girl” scenerio. I found it best not to share the pain of being too pretty/smart/rich but like you said, forum.

Think about what qualities make you intelligent. Then think about what qualities you don’t have because they conflict with the ones you do have. Next think about what qualities are needed to fit in socially. That might help you answer your question yourself. You’re highly intelligent, I’m sure you can successfully self-reflect ;]

Its funny that you’re asking for insight into the matter because insight is the very thing that helps me intellectually and hurts me socially. (Sometimes you just don’t want to know what makes a person tick.)

I imagine that as you grow older, you’ll find that the gap between you and your peers will diminish significantly. By training for a profession, you’ll start to filter people out (one way or the other).

By being exposed to people older than you who have much more experience. You are sheltered from that, to a certain extent. You’ll also find, as you get older, that people have things that they invest their time and energies into; dedication can outshine aptitude.

Of course, a lot of it is dependent upon how far away from the mean you are. In high school, where you are mixed in with what is a more representative sample of the population, small differences may appear great.

(I’m in high school)[/quote]

You had me right up to this point…

You haven’t even learned 10% of what you will know in your lifetime yet. You may seem smarter than a bunch of stupid high school kids, but compared to society as a whole- you’re not very bright.

If you still feel this exact same way when you’re 30, then yes I would say you have a valid point. I actually consider myself very smart, incredibly smart compared to most of my peers. Yet on a somewhat daily basis, in my line of work, I come across someone obviously more intelligent. Maybe not overall, but at least on the topic at hand.

One thing you might want to invest some research in - humility.

I agree with the intellegence gap thing. Except the other way around.

Mom says that once I learn how to read, write, and do my sums, I might be able to get a job at the filling station.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
KombatAthlete wrote:
Can anybody else share any insight they might have about this, either from their own experience or someone you knew?

Most people are really stupid. Ponder this: 50% of people have an IQ of 100 or less. An IQ differential of only 10 points can make it almost impossible for two people to communicate.

Based on the logical reasoning present in your posts, I would say you’re easily in the top 2%. This means you will find it almost impossible to communicate beyond the most basic level with almost 90% of all people. Frustrating, 'eh?[/quote]

At least now you finally found someone you can talk to…

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
KombatAthlete wrote:
(I’m in high school)

You had me right up to this point…

You haven’t even learned 10% of what you will know in your lifetime yet. You may seem smarter than a bunch of stupid high school kids, but compared to society as a whole- you’re not very bright.

If you still feel this exact same way when you’re 30, then yes I would say you have a valid point. I actually consider myself very smart, incredibly smart compared to most of my peers. Yet on a somewhat daily basis, in my line of work, I come across someone obviously more intelligent. Maybe not overall, but at least on the topic at hand.

One thing you might want to invest some research in - humility.[/quote]

In terms of raw IQ, I’ve met a lot of high school students much smarter than you. Most of your posts are nothing but parrots of things you’ve read here. I’ve never seen evidence of independent thought. You are not smart.

Most people are really stupid. Ponder this: 50% of people have an IQ of 100 or less.
[/quote]
I’m with you so far…

Whaaaaa? 10 points is less than a standard deviation. Impossible for two people to communicate what, exactly?
Yeah, I’m opening myself up by disagreeing with you, but oh well ;-).

I can’t think of a situation in which a difference of 10 points would make it impossible to communicate, unless you’re right at the “profoundly retarded” line… in which case they aren’t really communicating well within that 10 point range, anyway.

[quote]
Based on the logical reasoning present in your posts, I would say you’re easily in the top 2%. This means you will find it almost impossible to communicate beyond the most basic level with almost 90% of all people. Frustrating, 'eh?[/quote]

Come on, Creskin… can you really ascertain IQ through internet posts? Really? Just busting your balls… but still…
For the record, that would be a score of 132 SB.

Two standard deviations above the mean. That’s also the qualifying score for mensa. Not that I’m trying, of course, to imply that KombatAthlete doesn’t have a score in the top 2%… just that it’s not the easiest thing to guess over the internet.

In terms of raw IQ, I’ve met a lot of high school students much smarter than you. Most of your posts are nothing but parrots of things you’ve read here. I’ve never seen evidence of independent thought. You are not smart.
[/quote]

Hey, sweet… can you do SAT scores, too?

In terms of raw IQ, I’ve met a lot of high school students much smarter than you. Most of your posts are nothing but parrots of things you’ve read here. I’ve never seen evidence of independent thought. You are not smart.[/quote]

Well obviously not compared to you. Oh well.

I could come up with a witty comeback but it’s not really worth it. You’re just some old geezer who has nothing better to do than flex their one and only muscle on an internet forum, when it’s obvious your outright attacks on people is just a sign of loneliness and a cry for help.

I have enough charity cases to deal with without worrying if I’m impressing you. Instead of using your obvious god-given intelligence for good, you troll around on forums trying to make people think you’re smart. I don’t think anyone around here is buying it.

How’s that for an independent thought?

By the way- why don’t you have an avatar? Is the whole system just too confusing for you? I can show you how to upload a picture if you need help.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
A wise man knows how little he knows. [/quote]

Truth.

The amount I learn is directly proportional to realizing how stupid I am.

You have a long way to go yet, kombat-san.

Everyone on T-Nation can bench 600, so I don’t blame you all if you don’t beleive me. But I was tested, and the test said I have a 147 IQ. But I really don’t beleive that I am that intellegent.

[quote]MODOK wrote:
Gotta spell “believe” right to get me to buy in to that 147 IQ there Barney. :wink:
[/quote]

Give him a break… shaving his mustache was like cutting off Samson’s glorious locks, except with brains. True fact.

[quote]MODOK wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:
Everyone on T-Nation can bench 600, so I don’t blame you all if you don’t beleive me. But I was tested, and the test said I have a 147 IQ. But I really don’t beleive that I am that intellegent.

Gotta spell “believe” right to get me to buy in to that 147 IQ there Barney. :wink:

[/quote]

I before E, except after c. There is a couple of c’s way back in my post.

(kidding)

[quote]nephorm wrote:
MODOK wrote:

Give him a break… shaving his mustache was like cutting off Samson’s glorious locks, except with brains. True fact.[/quote]

Plus, I have been in a state of euphoria in the last 24 hours or so. Euphoria makes painters great, but I am guessing that it doesn’t help with spelling.

[quote]Dweezil wrote:
StevenF wrote:
A wise man knows how little he knows.

Truth.

The amount I learn is directly proportional to realizing how stupid I am.

You have a long way to go yet, kombat-san.[/quote]

Agreed.

Word.

Grasshoppah…

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
MODOK wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:

I before E, except after c. There is a couple of c’s way back in my post.

(kidding)[/quote]

Are. There are [a couple of] cccccccc