Intel, the Courts and Trump

And if the spook has been specifically ordered by the admin not to contact any other agency? What then?

I don’t think that came as news to the Russians.

Nah man, it’s simple:

Leaks by US officials damaging to Clinton? Good.

Leaks by the spy agencies of a nuclear adversary who stole communications from private American citizens in order to run a by-definition malicious & anti-American influence op in subversion of American democracy with the ultimate goal of helping their stooge (at best – time will tell if “stooge” ought to be replaced with a harsher word) win the White House? Great.

Leaked proof that the ranting Putinite nut who runs natsec policy at the White House lied to the American people about contacts with the nuclear adversary that had just broken US law in an unprecedented attempt to get his boss elected? Bad.

All leaks of this kind happen – and are illegal. This has nothing to do with whether they are good or bad for the United States. That it needs to be said that the contents of a leak & the underlying motivation/allegiance of the leaker(s) bears materially on any valid value judgment of them – this is ludicrous.

2 Likes

Then their is clearly a violation going on. Gag orders can only come from the judicial branch.

Certainly, everybody spies on everybody, friend or foe. You don’t want that to be public information, though. The public part is the problem.

OK, so in that instance, the spook should…?

I’m not sure I follow. If they know we’re spying on them, and we know they know, what makes the ‘public part’ a problem?

I am not a fan of hypotheticals because they never resemble actual reality where a situation is never so cut and dry. It depends on who is doing what and what the oversight exists. We have a system of checks and balances for a reason. To prevent the abuse of power. If something of that nature is happening, then the judicial branch is that is equipped to handle it, unless said illegal activity is coming from the highest levels of the judiciary where then it needs to be reported to congress.

It will then require a response from one or the other. Everybody spies on everybody else, that’s a safe assumption. But not everybody spies on everybody else everywhere all the time. We gave a location and time with regards to our surveillance. Which reveals information about our surveillance, which is stuff you don’t want to reveal, no matter how small.

Absolutely but that doesn’t mean he has handled it well. The intelligence community working as a “shadow government” to take down an elected official is a MAJOR crisis. It’s also possible(just like Hillary’s scenario) to have a problem with where the information is coming from AND what the content of the leaks expose.

No. Keep that shit in house but we know that won’t happen.

Did you feel that way about wiki leaks?

Did I feel that way about an organization that served as Russia’s agent in undermining a US election? No.

But they still exposed corruption.They made us aware of alarming facts against a potential presidential nominee. Why can’t anyone remove bias in these situations? Republicans: Ignore that the info came from Wiki leaks, an arm for the Russia government, against the DNC, Clinton, Podesta. Just look at evidence!
Democrats: Ignore that our own intelligence agency is becoming a shadow government and trying to destroy an elected official, look at the evidence!

You can be concerned for both!

Aren’t you assuming that there’s nothing to the Russia connections with that statement?

I’m not assuming anything. I’m pointing out the giant hypocrisy that this election has brought on.

norse;

I don’t think that it can be emphasized enough that the hypocrisy is coming for both sides, Right and Left…

While I agree it is coming from both sides and always has, one side is A LOT louder than the other and journalists just started dusting off their notepads for the first time in 8 years.

I just hate how much I have had to defend Trump lately. His policies haven’t been that bad, he’s just a thin skinned clown who tweets ridiculous shit.

Agree.

One of the things that President Obama states that he clearly regrets is that he didn’t explain his decisions…nor communicate his actions to the American People.

Trump just says:

"Fuck you, Fake News…I don’t have to explain shit…!

2 Likes

Wasn’t trying to put words in your mouth. I was just curious if you were making a statement about the current intelligence leaks.

Ok, fair enough.

1 Like