Integration of Strongman Training

I’m considering about integrating some strongman training into my training. But my knowledge in that field is very slim. I only know of stuff such as tires, wheelbarrow, farmer walk, and etc but i dont know much about the training parameter. a little bit about myself:

training years: 2nd year
bf%: 9-10%
weight: 150-155lb
height: 5’9"

max bench: 215lb
max power clean: 150lb

my current routine is 3 high intensity and 2 low intensity days per week, training mainly to increase my bench and power clean.

im wondering if theres a place where i can learn more about strongman training and learn how to integrate that into my training. im trying to pack as much power into my body at this weight as i can.

PS. another one of my goal is to do a legit single arm chin up. i have no idea where to start. any suggestion? i was thinking eccentric chin up on one arm, but i cant hold myself for longer than one sec.

thanks

Do you squat? Do you deadlift?

I’m not sure strongman is for you, other than for maybe conditioning purposes, such as tire or wheelbarrow.

150lbs is generally VERY light for strongman training, especially at 69 inches. You’d probably need a 400lbs or lighter tire if you were going to use one… but developing peak power isn’t really what strongman event training is about.

I second Machine - strongman events are a tool just like everything else and don’t really favor relative strength.

-Dan

Well i just thought it could be great for GPP. Simple stuff such as he farmers walk or etc. Enough to build up relative strength. Is it really not possible for someone my weight?

[quote]Doh wrote:
Well i just thought it could be great for GPP. Simple stuff such as he farmers walk or etc. Enough to build up relative strength. Is it really not possible for someone my weight?[/quote]

It’s possible, but you’re going to have to adjust the weights accordingly. You also need to start squatting and deadlifting before you do anything else. Those two will bring up your overall strength a great deal in and of themselves. If you want to start training the events, try them out and place them in your routine in the logical place - such as Farmer’s and sleds after squats and deads, log pressing after your other presses, etc. Beyond that, I would start eating. You are a little on the light side, but you’re also young, so there’s plenty of time and room to add on size. At 16, I was 5-10 and 130, and by the time I was 22, I had managed to get myself up to about 210, eating anywhere from 5-8 times a day, in general.

[quote]Doh wrote:
Well i just thought it could be great for GPP. Simple stuff such as he farmers walk or etc. Enough to build up relative strength. Is it really not possible for someone my weight?[/quote]

I should have been a little more clear -strongman events tend to favor the heavier because of the unstable nature of the events. It isn’t like o-lifting where you can just practice the form and become incredibly efficient at the log press, for example. It requires a good deal of brute strength to log clean. I may not be conveying this very well…

Anyway, if your goal is to develop maximal strength and power at your size, why do you even need to do GPP? That’s going to bring more of your adaptations towards the metabolic side of things and decrease your efficiency in displaying maximal strength or maximal power. Can you maybe define your goals a little more clearly for us, what exactly you want to get stronger at and where you want to display more power?

-Dan

Another thing is that if you are 150 lbs. and 10% bodyfat, your GPP should NOT be something you need to work on.

GPP is normally used as a recovery tool and to increase work capacity. It is not used to “pack as much power” as you can on.

GPP shouldn’t be used to increase strength.

I agree to add the deadlifts and squats as a staple for adding size/strength. That’s fine if you want to start hitting your training from some different angles to keep things interesting. Have you thought about sandbag training? This would be a lot easier to get started with rather than actual strongman training.

Sorry i forgot to input about that, i do squat and deadlift, PR’s are:

DL: 335
Squat: 305

I guess i should be more clear on that as well. I’m just awed at the strenght of strongman competitors. I wanted to get as close to that while staying the same weight. It should also be able to supplement my other lifts such as bench, squat, and etc and improve my body’s relative and overall strenght.

how deep is that 305 squat? I agree with everyone else here, your a little on the lighter side. at 155 and only 9-10% BF you should start eating a tonne, and just lift heavy, you’ll get there. Farmers walks would be good to add in for now, but dont worry about the tires yet, if you eat properly and lift heavy you’ll out grow the tires way too fast. try some sledgehammer training as well. but just remember, eat, eat, and squat DEEP, none of that quarter squat shit, you need some good ol’ glute activiation to tie everything together.

You really need to work on that power clean. I would bet that your technique is bad.

[quote]Deathroe wrote:
how deep is that 305 squat? I agree with everyone else here, your a little on the lighter side. at 155 and only 9-10% BF you should start eating a tonne, and just lift heavy, you’ll get there. Farmers walks would be good to add in for now, but dont worry about the tires yet, if you eat properly and lift heavy you’ll out grow the tires way too fast. try some sledgehammer training as well. but just remember, eat, eat, and squat DEEP, none of that quarter squat shit, you need some good ol’ glute activiation to tie everything together.[/quote]

i’m all about proper technique and doing everything perfectly. squat is a full deep squat max. as for power clean, getting to be able to clean my own bodyweight took me a while already but i guess you’re right, it’s something that i have to work on.

i’ve always wondered how sledgehammer training works. what do you smash that sucker against? so far, these seems to be things that i can start with:

-farmers walk
-sledgehammer
-sled pulling

keep in mind my main goal here is not to compete in a strongman competition but to use their training and incorporate it into mine to enhance my training parameters.

give the man credit if he says he squats it full… I had trained for 2 years and my squat went out more than anything (I was under 160 squatting 350 ass to my calves) I think I’m 180 now and I can’t do that,lol.
keep working hard… add things gradually, get a bro and push a car, hold dumbells for time, get some circuits going where you deadlift, push press, grip work etc.
keep working the big lifts and everything will improve. but there are some good strongman tools that will help you along the way.

[quote]cougarenegade wrote:
give the man credit if he says he squats it full… I had trained for 2 years and my squat went out more than anything (I was under 160 squatting 350 ass to my calves) I think I’m 180 now and I can’t do that,lol.
keep working hard… add things gradually, get a bro and push a car, hold dumbells for time, get some circuits going where you deadlift, push press, grip work etc.
keep working the big lifts and everything will improve. but there are some good strongman tools that will help you along the way.[/quote]

Yeah, I’d listen Cougarenegade and keep workin’ hard…I’m a far cry from 300lbs, but I love doin’ strongman stuff. Mixin in some strongman, sounds like fun…sometimes that “fun” is forgotten!! Do what you like!!
Worker

I second the notion that you need to eat. You seem to know more then some of the guys I see at work (the gym). I was a freshman in college @ 150lbs and 6-1 and gained 32 pounds thanks to eating a ton and a good roommate to MAKE me lift. Your just missing the food, keep lifting properly and eating…you’ll have some weight packed on you in no time and you’ll be stronger all over.