Integrating Bent Over Row & Power Cleans Into 531

Hello,

I apologize if this is a stupid idea in advance. But I would appreciate any advice.

I am considering integrating the bent over row and powercleans as separate days into my home routine. So I would essentially be doing 6 days per week in my garage shed and hope to be able to get the workout done in 25-30mins. I.e. this would be two additional training days for each exercise, in addition to the four core lifts. I plan to use a couple of warm up sets followed by the 531 sets and finally 5xFSL sets.

Can I ask has anybody used the bent over rows and powercleans in addition to the four core lifts of 531? Is this worth doing for the development of a more balanced body and more athletic power? Or would you simply say don’t do it?

Thank you and apologies in advance if this is a retarded idea.

1 Like

I used to use 531 for Yates Row (underhand Bent-Over) and it did okay.

I say “okay” because it’s heavy on lower back and so are deadlifts and squats… madr it difficult to progress with.

I don’t think 2 separate days are needed to train this way, but I’m sure some powerlifter/Oly weightlifter will come yell at me for saying so. I would set power cleans on your bench day and rows on your OHP day, but that’s just me.

^not a powerlifter or Oly lifter and dont ask about my OHP or Power Clean PRs

1 Like

Why not just use cleans as part of your conditioning work and bent over rows as your assistance work? Or use one of the 5/3/1 programs with cleans already in it, like the Beach Body Challenge or Leviathan?

2 Likes

Do you know which book these programs are in? I only have the 531 forever book - and I can’t find an index.

Also from your experience would you not use cleans for strength development or only for conditioning?

Morningstar is in 5/3/1 Forever. Here is the beach body challenge

I asked first dude :slight_smile: If you want to do cleans, why not do them as part of conditioning OR use the programs that have them in it?

1 Like

My fault. I didn’t read/reflect on your response properly. Thank you.