Integrate Heavy Deads Into WS4SB 3?

I do realize that there are days where romanian deads are an option for a secondary movement, but I really enjoy going heavy with my deads.

I was thinking about doing them on DE leg day, does that make sense or is there someone other way I should go about it?

Thanks much.

Quoted from WSFSB 3, page 10, Max-Effort Lower

A. MAX-EFFORT LIFT �?? work up to a max set of 3-5 reps
in one of the following exercises:
»» Box squats (regular bar, safety squat bar, cambered bar,
buffalo bar)
»» Free squats (regular bar, safety squat bar, cambered
bar, buffalo bar)

»» Straight bar deadlifts (traditional style, sumo style)

»» Trap Bar deadlifts
»» Rack pulls (partial deadlifts)
»» Tire flip �?? (remember, your max-effort lifts don�??t necessarily
have to be limited to just barbell exercises!)

Yeah…how did you miss the whole thing about Max Effort Squat/Deadlift?

Do something besides Romanian Deadlifts.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Yeah…how did you miss the whole thing about Max Effort Squat/Deadlift?[/quote]

Blah, I didn’t miss it, just forgot about it. But my reasoning was that I would like heavy squats and deads. Most people agree it’s not good to do them on the same day, right?

[quote]Rugby_Owns wrote:
Stronghold wrote:
Yeah…how did you miss the whole thing about Max Effort Squat/Deadlift?

Blah, I didn’t miss it, just forgot about it. But my reasoning was that I would like heavy squats and deads. Most people agree it’s not good to do them on the same day, right?[/quote]

I might be misreading what you’ve read but you are very correct in saying that you should not do heavy deads and squats on the same day. That list of a dozen or so Max Effort Exercises are not to be performed on the same day. You choose one, do it for 1-4 weeks, and then cycle it out for a new Max Effort Exercise.

So your ME exercise for the first 3 weeks of December might be Rack Pulls. Then the last week of December and the first 2 weeks of January you would do Back Squats as your ME exercise for 3 weeks.

I know that I can switch ME lifts, but I want heavy deads and back squats in the same week!

Then do a different program.

[quote]Rugby_Owns wrote:
I know that I can switch ME lifts, but I want heavy deads and back squats in the same week![/quote]

WS4SB3 doesn’t have 2 heavy lower body lifts in a week as the majority of skinny bastards can’t recover from it. Says that somewhere in the article.

And go.

[quote]Rugby_Owns wrote:
I know that I can switch ME lifts, but I want heavy deads and back squats in the same week![/quote]

Fuck what the “program” says. If you want to do it, do it. I do a max effort squat every week. That same week after speed squats I will either deadlift or good morning heavy, unless I’m not feeling it.

As long as your lifts keep improving, and you’re getting bigger, you are good to go. If not, adjust something.

Following programs as if written in stone is retarded.

Yeah I’m going to go with doing them on my DE leg day. I did them today after doing a ME squat day on Tuesday. I think it should work out.

The whole point of WS4SB is that it is a pretty solid program when used as written. Maybe something else would work better for ya, but then that wouldn’t be WS4SB would it?

It’s pretty cool…definitely a solid program.

But I like to alternate sometimes between “rigid” programs like WS4SB and making my own stuff. It’s nice psychologically. So if you’re feeling adventurous, sure, change it! But I really think all this stuff is just details. I mean, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a heavy squat and dead in the same day OR the same week.

Do that til ya get tired of it, then do WS4SB or whatever you want. There are advantages and disadvantages to different types of programs…just don’t try to tweak it til you lose the principle behind it. If you really wanna do WS4SB3, just do it as-is. You will probably make great gains.