Intake of Olive and Flax Oil

Hey guys,

I was just wondering, for those who use olive and flax oil regularly, how you use it with your food? I try to cook eggs with the olive oil and then just eat the eggs, but it seems like not all of the oil is being taken in as there is oil left on the pan after you cook. I use about 1 tbsp each serving. Any of you just take shots of it? I’m just worried that I’m not taking in all of that 1 tbsp of oil that I put into the pan…

If you can stomach it, go with the ‘shots.’

Olive oil works well with salads, too.

(I just go with the down-the-gullet route for simplicity.)

I usually use a measuring spoon (1tbsp) but now that we’re calling them “shots” I’ll be using an actual shot glass from this day on - how much more manly is that!

[quote]Breakdown wrote:
I usually use a measuring spoon (1tbsp) but now that we’re calling them “shots” I’ll be using an actual shot glass from this day on - how much more manly is that! [/quote]

Be careful cooking with olive oil. It is actually very heat sensitive and the nutritional benefits of it are easily destroyed with cooking. Always opt for cooking spray (use sparingly) and consumer your olive/flax oils raw.

Coconut oil is great for cooking at high temp’s and was a good adition to my diet, weight loss has been easier since I adding it.

Yup, shooters of olive oil. People think we’re nuts. The better the quality of olive oil, the better the taste.

TNT

[quote]Breakdown wrote:
I usually use a measuring spoon (1tbsp) but now that we’re calling them “shots” I’ll be using an actual shot glass from this day on - how much more manly is that! [/quote]

Much more manly than your avatar

[quote]TriGWU wrote:

Be careful cooking with olive oil. It is actually very heat sensitive and the nutritional benefits of it are easily destroyed with cooking. Always opt for cooking spray (use sparingly) and consumer your olive/flax oils raw. [/quote]

Actually, I believe the opposite is true: olive oil is great for cooking because it has a high smoke point and does not degrade as rapidly under high heat as some other oils. Cooking spray is for amateurs.

I think relying on the olive oil in the pan is counterproductive - I would just use a bit to cook with and not worry about it. I take olive oil mainly with salads - a bare bones salad dressing is 2 Tb. olive oil and 1 Tb. red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar. I take flax oil mainly in Low-Carb Grow! shakes or do shots of flax if desperate. Btw, as someone wrote above, higher brands of olive oil taste better. I usually try to buy Delallo olive oil - it doesn’t have a bitter taste like some of the cheaper brands. You can probably find it in most supermarkets.

TriGWU wrote:

Actually, I believe the opposite is true: olive oil is great for cooking because it has a high smoke point and does not degrade as rapidly under high heat as some other oils. Cooking spray is for amateurs. [/quote]

Negative on the smoking point. As a Chef i can assure you that Olive oil has one of the lowest smoking points of popular cooking oils. The darker green the olive oil is the higher quality the oil and the lower the smoking point.
If you can find imported Genovesse or Tuscan Olive Oils of Extra Virgin grade they are among the finest tasting.

Thanks for the reply cleansnatch - I thought olive oil was so popular b/c it has a high smoke point; meaning, I think, that it can be heated to relatively high temps before it degrades/undergoes change. For the record, I did doublecheck this before I posted and came up with [html] http://www.oliveoilsource.com/cooking_olive_oil.htm [html].

I like to put olive oil on my steamed veggies, or just do shots. It’s all good!

I never cook with Extra Virgin, only Extra Light. The light, being refined, should have a higher smoke point then the unrefined Extra Virgin. Regardless heating EVO kills the taste in my opinion and is therefore a waste.

most mornings i go with 1 tablespoon each of: olive, coconut, and fish oils. In my salads i like to add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil with vinegar. On nights were i don’t work out i go with 1tbsp fish oil with my prebedtime protein meal. laters pk