Insurance Won't Cover Androderm Patches?

Hi,

I have a question for you guys on androderm patches. Have you run into problems with your insurance refusing to pay for dosages higher than 6 mg a day? 8 mg a day works best for me, it keeps my T steady throughout the day with my morning T at 606.

However, my insurance won’t pay for anything over 6 mg because that’s the highest listed dosage on the androderm drugsheet and website. According to them, taking 8 mg “exceeds the maximum allowable dosage,” which sounds ridiculous. My doctor’s not experienced with TRT, so he believes what the insurance company tells him, that it exceeds the dosing limit set by the manufacturer and that “no one should be taking this much testosterone.”

Now he’s changed his mind about giving me 8 mg and wants to cut back on my dosage. Even though 6 mg doesn’t really work for me and we’ve done labs that show 8 mg is the right dose.

Before going to a new doctor I want to know if this is common for insurance companies to limit androderm dosing at 6 mg? Or is it just BS in my case? Have any of you run into this sort of problem before?

The dose should be to achieve therapeutic effects. The goal should be to make you feel better. You could ask your doctor to switch to androgel or self-administer T injections if they are uncomfortable prescribing beyond recommended maximum dosage for androderm.

Have you ever tried other delivery methods? I personally found the patches to be the least preferable. Gels and injections were much better in my opinion.