Insult or Flattery?

[quote]lothario1132 wrote:
My reply would be “Well I guess it’s also a good thing for you that it’s not against the law to be a pussy.”

But hey, that’s just me.

[/quote]

That is some funny shit. It is the kind of thing I say to people I don’t know but I don’t think that would go over well at work.

I heard a new one last night. I was talking with the one co-worker that is interested in my results. He was telling me he was telling someone about my progress. Their resonse was that I was strong because I am short.

Apparently it is impossible for a person over the height of six foot to clear a 250 bench. This is because their arms are so long. Where as my short 5’8" self can push unknown volumes.

I really need to start hanging out with lifters more. At least then I can get away from this crap and stop bitching.

Thanks for your comments all.

[quote]starkmann wrote:
I keep getting people dropping the “S word” on me, Steroids. At first it was just conversations about them. Then it was reference to how my job doesn’t regularly test for them. Then people started making references to specifically how luck I am that we don’t have a test. I’ve had a couple people in the last week say outright that I must be on steroids.

[/quote]Their opinions don’t matter.[quote]

The truth is I’m not on steroids and I don’t look like I’m on steroids. My numbers are okay but not great, and definitly not juice worthty. I think some people are kidding but I think some are serious. Mostly because no one around here lifts heavy. I go to the same gym as some of these people and they dink around on weighted ab machines and leg extensions while I am maxing out on squat. I think I freak some of them out.

[/quote]Their opinions don’t matter.[quote]

I can’t decide if they are all joking or serious, I suspect a mixture of both. I also can’t decide if I should be annoyed or flattered. It wouldn’t be so bad but I work in a pharmacy wherre I have access to steroids. I could be accused and tested and fired or criminally charged if someone took this serious.

[/quote]Accused - so what? Tested - so what? Fired - only if you are using. Criminally charged - only if you are using. Since you are worried about things that only matter if you are using, don’t worry about it, cuz your not using right… right… why else would you get charged? Unless you are using.[quote]

What do you all think?[/quote]

[quote]starkmann wrote:
I heard a new one last night. I was talking with the one co-worker that is interested in my results. He was telling me he was telling someone about my progress. Their resonse was that I was strong because I am short.

Apparently it is impossible for a person over the height of six foot to clear a 250 bench. This is because their arms are so long. Where as my short 5’8" self can push unknown volumes.

I really need to start hanging out with lifters more. At least then I can get away from this crap and stop bitching.

Thanks for your comments all.[/quote]

Don’t even get me started on that one. Being 5’5" I would hear that all the time, especially from other gym goers. When I got my bench over 275 it was just because of my arm size. Then when I worked my way up from there, 60 more pounds and it was still just because of my arm size.

More on your first post, I didn’t like it when I was being asked about what they should do because unlike you, I was just learning about what works for me. I hated having to give advice. I would tell them to read suchandsuch ebook and go to this site…

I’m a good student, but not a good teacher. When I learn something that looks like there’s enough proof backing it up and sounds legit, I just store the information as the truth in my head, and forget all the whys and hows.

I wouldn’t be able to answer their questions as well as a strength coach on this site, or any other expert can, so some people would go on thinking that there’s nothing backing up my claims and there’s no proof that over processed foods are bad for them, or that lifting weights can be better for them than walking around the building.

Is this debate only open to mice and rats?

[quote]Elkhntr1 wrote:
Is this debate only open to mice and rats?[/quote]

I suppose we can permit other rodentia. Notice both of us with the mouse/rat icons are short guys to. I think there was a reason we picked those icons. I was alway a mighty mouse fan.

[quote]Mastermind wrote:

Accused - so what? Tested - so what? Fired - only if you are using. Criminally charged - only if you are using. Since you are worried about things that only matter if you are using, don’t worry about it, cuz your not using right… right… why else would you get charged? Unless you are using.

What do you all think?[/quote]

no, I am not using. I can handle accused. I don’t feel like screwing w/ charged. But most important, I am an “at will” employee. So I don’t have to test positive to be let go.

I’ve been dealing with the same situation, and it is starting to get to me. I have put on 12lbs. lbm in three weeks by way of Superdrol, my physique has really changed, first off when somebody asks you if you’re juicing, they’re technically asking you if you’re partaking in an illegal activity, even if I was juicing why would I admit to breaking the law to anyone, and put myself in jeapordy, so I reply with a sigh, shake my head and walk away with a different judgement of that person.

Tell them that you’re taking Juice Panther, by Odeon… Mention that it’s made out of bits of real panther, so you know it’s good…

Seriously though, I usually take questions like that to shamelessly plug T-Nation.com and that if they’re interested, motivated, and dedicated to looking and feeling better, they should look it up…

[quote]Professor X wrote:
BIGRAGOO wrote:
Ok, that’s what I figured. I agree with you for the most part, but to me, a suggestion like that, albeit ignorant, implies that you have made noticable progress.

But, I already know I have made progress. Someone telling me that drugs must have been involved with my development doesn’t provide me with any additions to my self image. I suppose someone newer to training would feel an ego boost from any comment about how “big” they have gotten. Those that aren’t new don’t exactly need people pointing it out anymore than they do already. There isn’t a day that goes by that someone somewhere doesn’t make some sort of comment or give some type of “look” if I wear anything less than a sweatshirt. I just don’t need the negativity.[/quote]

Sure, no need for the negativity. No, I’m not new to this lifstyle, and yes I get stares if in a tank top too. But I can laugh the ignorance off because I have always known that people are dumb. But I agree that a blantant question if you used gear is insulting and there is nothing good in having someone just assuming it.

[quote]Elkhntr1 wrote:
Is this debate only open to mice and rats?[/quote]

It appears, they are trying to take over the world

If people actually workout and see the work you put in at the gym then maybe they will change their out look. But with the light of all the pro athletes coming out saying they have taken or have tested positive for them give us natural boby builders a bad name.

Last night at the gym I had a High school student ask me what I was taking…I had just gotten back from my cancer survalance Dr appointment and I told the kid that it was the Iodine and the Barium that I have to take for the CT scan every two months for the past 2 years…LOL I bet he went home and googled that…:wink: I guess people think you just started or something and you get a great body after a week of working out or something…never mind I have been working out for 15 years…

The mis information goes way beyond just the public. I was just in to the doctor to get my neck looked at. She was very alarmed that I went from 179 in January to 196 in August. It is mostly muscle mass I have gained. Anyway after questioning me repeatedly how I gained the size she flat out asked if I was on Steroids… I told her NO, I was kind of offended by it.

I have been busting my ass for the last five months and trying to eat right. I don’t need someone attributing all my hard work to steroid use. Like others have said if I was taking them I would be much bigger.

I agree with X on this one.

BIGRAGOO wrote:
Ok, that’s what I figured. I agree with you for the most part, but to me, a suggestion like that, albeit ignorant, implies that you have made noticable progress.

But, I already know I have made progress. Someone telling me that drugs must have been involved with my development doesn’t provide me with any additions to my self image. I suppose someone newer to training would feel an ego boost from any comment about how “big” they have gotten. Those that aren’t new don’t exactly need people pointing it out anymore than they do already. There isn’t a day that goes by that someone somewhere doesn’t make some sort of comment or give some type of “look” if I wear anything less than a sweatshirt. I just don’t need the negativity.[/quote]

[quote]djbige05 wrote:
If people actually workout and see the work you put in at the gym then maybe they will change their out look. But with the light of all the pro athletes coming out saying they have taken or have tested positive for them give us natural boby builders a bad name.

Last night at the gym I had a High school student ask me what I was taking…I had just gotten back from my cancer survalance Dr appointment and I told the kid that it was the Iodine and the Barium that I have to take for the CT scan every two months for the past 2 years…LOL I bet he went home and googled that…:wink: I guess people think you just started or something and you get a great body after a week of working out or something…never mind I have been working out for 15 years…[/quote]

It isn’t just you. I was in Houston a couple of months ago. I pulled into a gas station (I was wearing a tank top) and was walking inside. These two kids were standing outside, maybe 12 years old, and one asks while making a flexing gesture, “Hey, is that weightlifting or from steroids?!”

The media isn’t doing this issue any good at all. If kids are walking around thinking that lifting weights is an afterthought to steroid use in order to get big, all we will see is MORE problems in the future, not less.

djbige05 wrote:
The media isn’t doing this issue any good at all. If kids are walking around thinking that lifting weights is an afterthought to steroid use in order to get big, all we will see is MORE problems in the future, not less.[/quote]

I forgot about the media shit. They are definitely making the problem worse.

You may want to have a short chat with your boss/supervisor. If you have a good rapport with them you should be able to broach the subject.

However, the risk is that they would never hear about or think about the issue until you bring it to them…

Perhaps you could request testing or something because you have overheard speculation and you want to put the matter to rest due to the sensitivity of the issue in your workplace?

Oh, who cares. It’s like a C- student saying you must have cheated on the test because you got a good grade. Considering the source, it really doesn’t mean anything either way.

djbige05 wrote:

Last night at the gym I had a High school student ask me what I was taking…I had just gotten back from my cancer survalance Dr appointment and I told the kid that it was the Iodine and the Barium that I have to take for the CT scan every two months for the past 2 years…LOL I bet he went home and googled that…:wink: I guess people think you just started or something and you get a great body after a week of working out or something…never mind I have been working out for 15 years…

It isn’t just you. I was in Houston a couple of months ago. I pulled into a gas station (I was wearing a tank top) and was walking inside. These two kids were standing outside, maybe 12 years old, and one asks while making a flexing gesture, “Hey, is that weightlifting or from steroids?!”

The media isn’t doing this issue any good at all. If kids are walking around thinking that lifting weights is an afterthought to steroid use in order to get big, all we will see is MORE problems in the future, not less.[/quote]

Yeah-I agree. I know people who take steroids who barely even look like they lift. Their training and nutrition is shitty. It’s really so stupid. It’d be a damn shame to see kids who shouldn’t be using steroids at all under the best circumstances increasingly juice ignorantly and receive little real benefit-just problems from lack of understanding for proper PCT.

BIGRAGOO wrote:
Professor X wrote:
I would never take that as a compliment.

Is it because of the ignorance generally behind the issue, or because you just wouldn’t want to be compared to a gear user?

It is because it isn’t a compliment. Do people walk up to beautiful people and say, “That must be plastic surgery” as a compliment? How about walking up to a brain surgeon and saying, “you must have screwed the dean to get through school”? It is an insult.

At its base, it is an attempt to degrade what someone has accomplished by blaming it all on an outside substance…and if you all think it is bad when you just have a little size on you, wait until you actually make more of an impact upon walking into a room.

I heard on one forum that some kid didn’t think it was possible to even build arms up to 17" without drugs. Apparently, anyone bigger than Jared on those Subway commercials is on Growth Hormone.

Yes, many people are ignorant when it comes to training. I guess it is up to you whether you will cut them any slack because of it. This is why I would never wear a “Testosterone” t-shirt in public. People, in general, are not that bright.[/quote]

I agree

So what did you say?

[/quote]