Insult or Flattery?

I keep getting people dropping the “S word” on me, Steroids. At first it was just conversations about them. Then it was reference to how my job doesn’t regularly test for them. Then people started making references to specifically how luck I am that we don’t have a test. I’ve had a couple people in the last week say outright that I must be on steroids.

The truth is I’m not on steroids and I don’t look like I’m on steroids. My numbers are okay but not great, and definitly not juice worthty. I think some people are kidding but I think some are serious. Mostly because no one around here lifts heavy. I go to the same gym as some of these people and they dink around on weighted ab machines and leg extensions while I am maxing out on squat. I think I freak some of them out.

I can’t decide if they are all joking or serious, I suspect a mixture of both. I also can’t decide if I should be annoyed or flattered. It wouldn’t be so bad but I work in a pharmacy wherre I have access to steroids. I could be accused and tested and fired or criminally charged if someone took this serious.

What do you all think?

I, myself, wouldn’t pay attention to ignorant statements.

I think it shows the ignorance of the person/people asking.

Just tell them that you’d be a LOT bigger if you were on steroids and if they learned how to train right, they could look like you too.

I’d take it more as insulting, depending on their tone.

Some people just feel the need to try and put others down for their own short commings. It makes them feel better to think that you took the “easy way out” (which is what steroids is in their eyes) and they can’t look like that because they’re not “cheating”.

Next time you’re asked you can just let them know that they must be ignorant to what eating and training right can do to someone without steroids.

I flat out tell co-workers, etc…that I plan on taking them for HRT when I get older and they always freak out.

i get this all the time, usually directly only from people that i know and mostly on a lighthearted note…from people i don’t know it’s usually stares, or asking my training partner what i’m taking or if i’m on anything…you can try and educate people when they come up to you, but from experience, they’re still gonna think what they wanna think…

I also get asked this, usually joking when in person, but more serious when my partner or friend is asked. I don’t take any AAS, but my reply is always “I’d be a lot bigger if I was on”. That usually quashes the question. I usually take it as flattery because, since I’m not on gear, some think I look like it. I think that’s cool.

I think its a Kudo. My ex girlfriend came in the other day and told me that the people at the apartment complex where I live, are telling her I’m on steriods.

This is since I’ve been lifting hard and have been down at the local pool getting some sun on my powder-white ass.

I guess anyone that lifes, eats right and gets in some kind of shape must be on steroids because, Lord knows, you can’t possibly be doing it any other way, right?

I have people think I don’t eat just because I am lean. They have no idea I eat almost 2000 calories a day. Most people who don’t weight train are just ignorant to the issues. I wouldn’t worry about it.

it’s kind of a blessing and a curse. tough situation dude. i wish sometime someone would actually ask me how hard i bust my ass in the gym everyday instead of making a steroid joke or comment. wouldn’t that be nice? but i guess we can all just be secure in our knowledge and effort and be happy with that too.

I would never take that as a compliment.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I would never take that as a compliment. [/quote]

Is it because of the ignorance generally behind the issue, or because you just wouldn’t want to be compared to a gear user?

It’s jealousy.

People who do not have the knowledge and dedication to be big, strong or be fit in general tend to say something to make themselves not look that bad. And then the same kind of people would want to listen to it and want to believe it. It makes them feel better.

Karate is my sport and people always wonder how I can endure such training volume (not really so much and it is WSSB for those who wonder). I have been told not to take my roid pills at work and hiding them in fish oil pill and vitamins bottles is not a smart idea either.

Of course, those are fish oil pills and vitamins.

Geek boy

[quote]starkmann wrote:
Then people started making references to specifically how luck I am that we don’t have a test.[/quote]

This part would be insulting to me. My reply would be “Well I guess it’s also a good thing for you that it’s not against the law to be a pussy.”

But hey, that’s just me.

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Is it because of the ignorance generally behind the issue, or because you just wouldn’t want to be compared to a gear user?[/quote]

It is because it isn’t a compliment. Do people walk up to beautiful people and say, “That must be plastic surgery” as a compliment? How about walking up to a brain surgeon and saying, “you must have screwed the dean to get through school”? It is an insult.

At its base, it is an attempt to degrade what someone has accomplished by blaming it all on an outside substance…and if you all think it is bad when you just have a little size on you, wait until you actually make more of an impact upon walking into a room.

I heard on one forum that some kid didn’t think it was possible to even build arms up to 17" without drugs. Apparently, anyone bigger than Jared on those Subway commercials is on Growth Hormone.

Yes, many people are ignorant when it comes to training. I guess it is up to you whether you will cut them any slack because of it. This is why I would never wear a “Testosterone” t-shirt in public. People, in general, are not that bright.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
BIGRAGOO wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Is it because of the ignorance generally behind the issue, or because you just wouldn’t want to be compared to a gear user?

It is because it isn’t a compliment. Do people walk up to beautiful people and say, “That must be plastic surgery” as a compliment? How about walking up to a brain surgeon and saying, “you must have screwed the dean to get through school”? It is an insult.

At its base, it is an attempt to degrade what someone has accomplished by blaming it all on an outside substance…and if you all think it is bad when you just have a little size on you, wait until you actually make more of an impact upon walking into a room.

I heard on one forum that some kid didn’t think it was possible to even build arms up to 17" without drugs. Apparently, anyone bigger than Jared on those Subway commercials is on Growth Hormone.

Yes, many people are ignorant when it comes to training. I guess it is up to you whether you will cut them any slack because of it. This is why I would never wear a “Testosterone” t-shirt in public. People, in general, are not that bright.[/quote]

Ok, that’s what I figured. I agree with you for the most part, but to me, a suggestion like that, albeit ignorant, implies that you have made noticable progress. I do not expect the general public to understand the work involved in making gains so I know that they will make assumptions. I just laugh to myself. But I do understand the frustration you feel when someone is serious about that question. That person can’t appear any more stupid than immediately after asking that question.

I guess what I really meant was it depends on who asked, the tone of voice used, and the context of a the conversation it was brought up in.

I would personally take it as a sign of progress and hence, a compliment.

Did they always refer to you as a steroid user? I bet not.

Do these ppl consider “juicers” to any joe that is tanned and vascular sporting 13" arms? I bet not.

Even if the compliment comes with ignorance (they can’t believe that one can get big naturally, without the assistance of drugs), take it as a compliment and don’t fret about it.

[quote]americangirl wrote:
I have people think I don’t eat just because I am lean. They have no idea I eat almost 2000 calories a day. Most people who don’t weight train are just ignorant to the issues. I wouldn’t worry about it.[/quote]

That’s funny, the people I work with think I don’t stop eating (I have 6-7 meals a day, only 2 of which are at home). Last year we had a little contest to see who could lose the most fat for Summer. Thanks to stuff I learnt in books and this website I lost about 15 lbs in a little over 2 months, and probably put on a bit of LBM.

I soon started to get questions on steroids. Being an informed individual, I had read up on the subject and could answer their questions, but had to make it clear that I wasn’t taking any. I think this all stems from the defeatist attitude that is being ingrained in society at the moment: “it’s OK to be fat and soft…because everyone else is!” People don’t realise that it’s not that difficult to lose weight and build muscle, many think it’s impossible without “help.”

If I were asked directly if I was taking steroids by somebody not in the Iron World, I’d see it as a compliment.

However, given the job you have, Starkmann, I can understand your worries. But if you don’t take anything, then let them test you if they want! You can then slap them in the face with the negative results sheet.

I would probably abstain from wearing a Testosterone T-shirt to work, though :slight_smile:

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
Ok, that’s what I figured. I agree with you for the most part, but to me, a suggestion like that, albeit ignorant, implies that you have made noticable progress.[/quote]

But, I already know I have made progress. Someone telling me that drugs must have been involved with my development doesn’t provide me with any additions to my self image. I suppose someone newer to training would feel an ego boost from any comment about how “big” they have gotten. Those that aren’t new don’t exactly need people pointing it out anymore than they do already. There isn’t a day that goes by that someone somewhere doesn’t make some sort of comment or give some type of “look” if I wear anything less than a sweatshirt. I just don’t need the negativity.

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
Is it because of the ignorance generally behind the issue, or because you just wouldn’t want to be compared to a gear user?[/quote]

I guess for me it is a few things. First and foremost the ignorance pisses me off. To think that because I managed to grow muscles and strength requires juice is just lame and stupid. I guess I 'm a little insulted because it implies some serious limitations to potential progress. If I had to use juice just to get my bench to 350 then where the hell do I go from here. I guess the part that really bugs me is the fact that I work in a field that has a lot of drug abuse and people tend to take these kinds of things very seriously. If some hospital admin heard them say that I could be fired.

At the same time I try to look at it as a compliment because it means I exceeded their expectations. But I’m having trouble seeing that as a legit reaction.

The weirdest part of this is that people used to ask me for workout guidance. Since I had my recent growth spurt they don’t want advice from me. It’s like my knowledge is totally irrelevent because I got strong. The funy thing is that I know more about all types of training now than I knew about any type of training a year ago.